Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Media: Subtle ways to shape reader sentiment

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +300 / 4 / -2

Saw this pointed out at http://massbackwards.blogspot.com/ (which then linked Newsbusters). It's interesting how two identical incidents get two different headlines.

[​IMG]

Versus:

[​IMG]
  2. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Wording is everything, and you're right, it's amazing. I try to catch the wording as well, and it's incredible how different things can come out. Sometimes, I don't even think it's intentional, it's just seems so subconscious.
  3. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Frightening. Absolutely frightening.
  4. Real World

Ratings:
    +300 / 4 / -2

Oh, I'm not sure it's so unintentional. Words are like numbers. The same exact figures can be presented in a multitude of different ways.
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

There is nothing more vile, dishonest, cruel, misleading, heartless and rotten to the core than the Left Wing Liberal Media, the NY Times and Dan Rather are examples of that, their hatred for GW Bush and their Blame America agenda are sickening, Scum Bags of the Lowest Form, if the Muslims do bomb us again the NY Times would be a great target.

:bricks:
  6. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Actually, there is quite a bit more vile, dishonest, cruel, misleading, heartless and rotten to the core. It's Reich Wing media outlets who try and cover for the lies of the most unethical, corrupt administration of all time. Their hatred of all things foreign are sickening. Scum Bags of the lowest form. If the Muslims do bomb us again, Fox News headquarters would be a poetic target.
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

Found it hard to believe, but it's true.. obvious biased reporting, but then we have all become accustomed to such on both sides of the aisle..
  8. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I know there's a lot of it that is intentional. But seriously, imagine what it's like in media-world. It would be very easy to get caught up in the prevalent thinking and just not notice things. Look at Hollywood idiots like Tom Cruise; they get pandered to for so long, it changes their whole way of thinking. It's kind of like when people refer to their favorite sports teams as "we." When a team is losing/on a losing streak, I guarantee there's not even half as many "we"s flying around. It's all "they" (if in Boston, it's usually followed by "suck wicked bad dood"). People just do that subconsciously to dissociate themselves with the team. I think a lot of bias in the media world happens the same way - they just happen to think of the headlines and wording in forms that they already think of in their head. The first wording that will come to mind for a Bush story will automatically be phrased in a certain way (from either side).

Though I do agree there's a lot of intentional crap (evidenced by the NYT hit piece on McCain last week, even though they had that story when they endorsed him).
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +300 / 4 / -2

I think it's intentional a lot more often than not. That's the media's job afterall. They're supposed to incite emotion & interest. What's better than the ability ot shape it in the direction that suits your world view? The above is merely a four word headline to describe an accident, yet for one it's worded & framed negatively, while the other is not. To me, when I see this, it sticks out for what it is. The media should be as neutral as is humanly possible. People watching, listening, and reading assume they're getting honest info. Sadly, they're not. It's spun in so many ways it's tragic. Think of the example you made with respect to sports teams. How illogical, emotional, slanted, dishonest, biased, etc are fans? The media can't, and shouldn't be that way. It's their job not to be.
  10. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The media is clearly biased to the left and I think the left has this modern day obsession with blaming everything on George Bush.

Cop dies in a horrible motorcade accident..? It's Bush's fault. Low ranking CIA operative loses his computer..? It's Bush's fault. I mean, these moonbats have really lost all touch with reality...
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +300 / 4 / -2

I think overall it tilts left, which is why FOX is so reviled by a lot of posters and media. The monopoly ended when FOX went on the air. Still though, it's important to know that right of center media tilts too.

I agree that the hatred for GW blinds people. That hatred doesn't excuse the anti Bush sentiment, since there are countless mistakes and blunders the man has made that warrant ill will. People literally hate GW though. My bro used to hate Bill Clinton, and it was impossible to talk politics with him because of that. The point is, GW deserves lots and lots of criticism, but I would agree that most people take it too far.