PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Matt Cassell Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
dryheat44 said:
I know i have no reason to say this, but as soon as i read that the first thing that popped in my head is "man is that guy gonnna suck or what"....

maybe im wrong but i doubt it. We don't even know how good Cassel is yet but from what i've seen i would say he's pretty good and what we got from him is a pretty rare thing. For what he is right now, id say we took a shot and got lucky.

If this guy the eagles signed does pan out, you can expect a bunch of other teams rushing out to get college backups who have barely played any snaps. At least itll be funny to watch.

dryheat44 said:

I'm on a laptop at Panera, where their filtering software rejected that link saying:

Reason for restriction: Forbidden Category "Intimate Apparel/Swimsuit"

So I guess whatever the Matt Cassel effect is, it ain't G-rated, eh? ("The seventh-round sleeper is arousing excitement in fans across New England...")

Then again, they also cut off my search for laser pointers on the grounds of "Forbidden Category: Weapons." So could you summarize the Cassel item?

patchick said:
I'm on a laptop at Panera, where their filtering software rejected that link saying:

So I guess whatever the Matt Cassel effect is, it ain't G-rated, eh? ("The seventh-round sleeper is arousing excitement in fans across New England...")

Then again, they also cut off my search for laser pointers on the grounds of "Forbidden Category: Weapons." So could you summarize the Cassel item?
PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- The Philadelphia Eagles signed rookie free agent quarterback Matt Nordgren on Monday.

Nordgren spent the last three years backing up 2006 Rose Bowl MVP and No. 3 overall pick Vince Young at Texas.

Nordgren appeared in 19 games with the Longhorns, completing eight of 14 passes for 60 yards and rushing for 79 yards and two touchdowns on 17 carries. As a senior, Nordgren was the holder on special teams.

A native of Dallas, Nordgren played in high school with Eagles running back Ryan Moats at Bishop Lynch High School.

patchick said:

Well I must say I'm disappointed. It's just a story of a backup Texas QB being signed.

Nothing about 'Intimate Apparel/Swimsuit".:mad:

Keegs said:
If this guy the eagles signed does pan out, you can expect a bunch of other teams rushing out to get college backups who have barely played any snaps. At least itll be funny to watch.

Cassel and Nordgren have one thing in common. They both backed up all-time great NCAA QBs: Palmer, Leinart, and Young. Had Nordgren been holding the clipboard for Casey Bramlett, he'd be a 9-5'er in the real world, now.

Keegs said:
I know i have no reason to say this, but as soon as i read that the first thing that popped in my head is "man is that guy gonnna suck or what"....

maybe im wrong but i doubt it. We don't even know how good Cassel is yet but from what i've seen i would say he's pretty good and what we got from him is a pretty rare thing. For what he is right now, id say we took a shot and got lucky.

It serves mentioning that Brad Johnson and Mark Brunell were both backups to highly regarded QBs in college (Casey Weldon and one of the Billy Joes...Hobert, I think). So I guess the practice predates Cassel.

dryheat44 said:
It serves mentioning that Brad Johnson and Mark Brunell were both backups to highly regarded QBs in college (Casey Weldon and one of the Billy Joes...Hobert, I think). So I guess the practice predates Cassel.

I had no idea

Did they play as few snaps as Young's backup and Cassel??

Keegs said:
I had no idea

Did they play as few snaps as Young's backup and Cassel??

I don't think so. I actually think Johnson started some games as a Junior, then got benched his senior year.

Both of them were rated as draft worthy in the late rounds.

In that respect, The Patriots/Cassell may be the guy to credit with pioneering the practice.

dryheat44 said:

I believe Brunell had quite a distinguished college career -- holds all the Rose Bowl career records. And even Johnson started a number of games before Weldon beat him out. I can't think of another NFL QB with Cassel's near-total lack of playing experience.

the eagles have done this before, for instance a.j. feeley only played like 4 games at oregon.

dryheat44 said:
I don't think so. I actually think Johnson started some games as a Junior, then got benched his senior year.

Both of them were rated as draft worthy in the late rounds.

In that respect, The Patriots/Cassell may be the guy to credit with pioneering the practice.
Yeah those guys came out when i was like 10 or 11 so i definitely missed that, it is interesting tho.

However, I definitely remember the 2 headed Billy-Joe monster in New Orleans.

PATSNUTme said:
Well I must say I'm disappointed. It's just a story of a backup Texas QB being signed.

Man. I didn't win the lottery and now this :(

I modified my internet filter and now when I click on the link I get an error saying...

"Reason for restriction: Forbidden Category "Dangerous. Could cause bordation death. Futhermore, contains no Intimate Apparel/Swimsuit"

PATSNUTme said:

Sorry, didn't mean to raise expectations! :p I'm always amazed at what these filters come up with. I was recently blocked from a page that tracks phases of the moon because it was "Forbidden Category: Occult."

patchick said:
Sorry, didn't mean to raise expectations! :p I'm always amazed at what these filters come up with. I was recently blocked from a page that tracks phases of the moon because it was "Forbidden Category: Occult."

Where are you guys located, a Panera in China?

Okay the practice does predate the Cassel pick, just not recently. They oughtta just rename the NFL kinkos, there's so much copying in the league.

:robot:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back