Welcome to PatsFans.com

The mathmatics of the draft

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Ayuh, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Ayuh

Ayuh Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

For those of you awake with anticipation.....read the below page titled:

The Loser’s Curse:
    Overconfidence vs. Market Efficiency in the
    National Football League Draft

I guarantee you will either sleep like a baby from the effort.....and it may even qualify you for a position in the FO for next years draft!

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:NyOz3ie5LNIJ:faculty.fuqua.duke.edu/~cadem/bio/massey%2520%26%2520thaler%2520-%2520loser%27s%2520curse.pdf+nfl+draft+pick+valuation+chart&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=9&client=firefox-a
  2. PatsWorldChamps

PatsWorldChamps Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

i read that entire paper, and the writer could have been a 10th grader with a minor interest in the nfl draft... what a joke.
  3. Ayuh

Ayuh Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Either you read something other than I posted, you're being sarcastic, or your trying to start something.....

The posting was something of a joke...but the paper written is hardly that of a 10th grade quality. Considering the authors-

Cade Massey
    Duke University
    Fuqua School of Business
    Richard H. Thaler
    University of Chicago
    Graduate School of Business
    April 2, 2005

But hey....I am wagering you really didn;t read the entire paper.
  4. PatsWorldChamps

PatsWorldChamps Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

as a person who reads graduate papers regularly, this is poorly written... maybe it is a great read for typical internet forum posters, but it is very poor for a graduate level paper.
  5. hwc

hwc On the Roster

Ratings:
    +254 / 5 / -2

Interesting paper.

I don't think it tells us anything we don't already know from watching Belichick. He clearly makes use of the value opportunities -- trading this year's picks for next year, etc.

I think the paper underestimates the impact of "talking heads" on many franchise draft managers, i.e. teams actually convince themselves that unknown quanity A is really that much better than unknown quantity B, simply because "everybody" is talking about A as the best player in the draft.