PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Maroney Fallacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

letekro

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
First, Maroney is the only NFL, starting caliber back on the roster right now. (I do not count Faulk, b/c he is invaluable in his role, and we cannot risk him by running him 20 times a game).

Sammy Morris is not coming back. That leaves Heath Evans and Kyle Eckel. Fine players no doubt, but do you think BB wants to leave the ground game in their hands in the playoffs???

I assume you answered 'no' to that question. If no, then why would BB have Maroney playing in a 42-7 game? To prove that he is a "number 1 back" to the likes of Danny?

Therefore, the idea that he was benched or hurt is preposterous.

Second, I would imagine that the statistics bear out that running backs gain a much larger percentage of their yards in the second half, after the D has tired out. Maroney is not getting the benefit of those easy yards b/c of the unique circumstances surrounding the 2007 Patriots offense.

The point is, Maroney is not playing for precisely the opposite reason that has been suggested - i.e., he is TOO valuable.

Last edited:
First, Maroney is the only NFL, starting caliber back on the roster right now. (I do not count Faulk, b/c he is invaluable in his role, and we cannot risk him by running him 20 times a game).

Sammy Morris is not coming back. That leaves Heath Evans and Kyle Eckel. Fine players no doubt, but do you think BB wants to leave the ground game in their hands in the playoffs???

I assume you answered 'no' to that question. If no, then why would BB have Maroney playing in a 42-7 game? To prove that he is a "number 1 back" to the likes of Danny?

Therefore, the idea that he was benched or hurt is preposterous.

Second, I would imagine that the statistics bear out that running backs gain a marge larger percentage of their yards in the second half, after the D has tired out. Maroney is not getting the benefit of those easy yards b/c of the unique circumstances surrounding the 2007 Patriots offense.

The point is, Maroney is not playing for precisely the opposite reason that has been suggested - i.e., he is TOO valuable.

I'm not sure I agree with everything you said, but it is logical. Let me put it another way...

The Pats have a QB performing at a level never seen before.
The Pats have an all-star team of receivers (including Watson and Gaffney).
The Pats have an OL (including K.Brady) that is amazing at pass protection.

So everyone wants to know why the Pats aren't running the ball often? They don't need to! When they have run, they have generally been effective. I want the ball in Brady's hands as much as possible. He is playing pitch-n-catch right now, not getting dirty or working up a sweat and able to gain 5 yards whenever he wants.

Just like the passing success is a result of the entire offense, the running game is the same. Maroney has hit holes quickly when they are there (his TD last night), but a lot of the time he has to fight through the wash.

wow, YAMT (Yet Another Maroney Thread).

Any chance we can keep it to one, or two threads? Merge, maybe?

I'm not sure I agree with everything you said, but it is logical. Let me put it another way...

The Pats have a QB performing at a level never seen before.
The Pats have an all-star team of receivers (including Watson and Gaffney).
The Pats have an OL (including K.Brady) that is amazing at pass protection.

So everyone wants to know why the Pats aren't running the ball often? They don't need to! When they have run, they have generally been effective. I want the ball in Brady's hands as much as possible. He is playing pitch-n-catch right now, not getting dirty or working up a sweat and able to gain 5 yards whenever he wants.

Just like the passing success is a result of the entire offense, the running game is the same. Maroney has hit holes quickly when they are there (his TD last night), but a lot of the time he has to fight through the wash.

Agreed. I would also add that of his six carries last night, on 3 or 4 of them he had an unblocked player in his face before he got to the LOS.

I like butter and cinnamon on my YAMTS

Now there's a post for the ages

I grew up on those Segar toons...if Popeye were on TV today the special interest groups would be going beserk over the violence...oh well...guess we were lucky

You don't use a thoroughbred to pull a plow. Particularly when you have no need to because you have a state of the art automated system to cover that ground more efficiently.

There were few runs in the first half. Evans appeared after Faulk went out, and he did next to nothing in his limited opportunities. In the second half leading already by 4 scores, Evans and Eckle were used to pound the rock that Tommy had been hurling with impunity in the first half in order to eat up some clock. They did well. Buffalo was toast.

I don't doubt BB enjoys seeing Maroney on the sidelines with helmet on watching those fullbacks pile up yards. It's good motivational strategy. But with Faulk already sitting likely with a mild concussion, you don't want to lose your lead back in garbage time in a blowout. I know, Brady stays in, but few successful QB's come out before the 4th in blowouts unless they are dinged or feeling threatened. Brady was well protected last night. You can't protect a RB. Wait to see the toll carrying the Colts through the regular season takes on Addai down the stretch and into the playoffs. And with nothing behind him but a former CFL'er.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back