PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The market for Brandon Spikes has been set by Cowboys

You can only spend so much. Annually, the Pats spend up to the cap (or very close to it). They "pay guys" just like every other team does. They just pay their team in a different philosophy. Every dollar that goes to Romo is a dollar they can't use elsewhere. Every dollar that doesn't go to Tom Brady is a dollar that can be used elsewhere.

Where did I say anything about the Pats?

Lee is indeed comparable to Mayo, but with more pass-rushing

Now when you say more pass rushing, do you mean they blitz him more, so he gets more pressure than Mayo or he gets more sacks than Mayo?

Because Sean Lee hasn't registered a sack in the 3 years he's been in the league.

NFL Source: Sean Lee gets $42M deal - ESPN

Based on Sean Lee's contract with the Cowbows.

Guessing $42 mil is around what Spikes is probably going to want in his new deal

Any thought?

I don’t agree at all; the Cowboys consistently overpay for their own players so it is unlikely that Lee would earned that contract on the open market. Lee is also a 3 down LB with the speed and athletic ability to play in coverage, and has been far more productive and consistent in his career than Spikes.

Brandon Spikes is more valuable to us than any other team, he fills a purpose of a physical run stuffer here, and other places that he signed would not have a Mayo to slide inside on passing downs of cover up for Spikes deficiencies sideline to sideline.

Wilfork is DL ... Mayo is LB

Brady is a QB last I checked and Mankins is OL

Gronk and Ahern (if he was here) were like $5 million this year combined ... not huge money

check the cap page again for 2013 ... my point stands.

He rarely pays 2 people of the same position huge money at the same time.

Not never ... just rarely.

I see what you meant by unit - was thinking just offense and defense. So in that scenario you still have Gronk and Ahern with pretty big money considering bonuses - you can't just take 2013 cap into account because of the way the contracts were designed. That really just reflects the value BB puts on that position though.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back