Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Mansion that war brought... Pelosi's new crib

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Apr 3, 2007.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

Apparently Richard Blum, Nancy's dearly beloved, is right up there with the rest of the war profiteers... no wonder she is another double speaker.. they are all the same, there is only one party...

http://www.counterpunch.org/frank02282006.html

It happens all the time. If the antiwar movement takes on the Democrats for their bitter shortcomings a few liberals are bound to criticize us for not hounding Bush instead. It doesn't even have to be an election year to get the progressives fired up. They just don't seem to get it. "How can you attack the Democrats when we have such a bullet-proof administration ruling the roost in Washington," somebody recently emailed me, "Don't you have something better to do than write this trash?!"

Well, not really. It's too cold in upstate New York right now to do anything other than fume over the liberal villains in Washington. "Why do I write about the putrid Democratic Party?" I responded, "I'll tell you, there's a reason this Republican administration is so damn bullet proof -- nobody from the opposition party is taking aim and pulling the trigger."

And that's why the Dems are just as culpable in all that has transpired since Bush took office in 2000. They aren't just a part of the problem -- the Democrats are the problem
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

My basic disagreement with these groups is their lack of pragmatism. We need people like Feinstein because we need a majority to get anything done. The time to go after these people is during the primaries, and then you don't want to go after them personally, you want to attack them on broader issues that help educate the public.

Even if Feinstein was forced to resign because of her conflict of interest, the groups that criticize her have not laid out a philosophy that would lead to someone better being elected. They've simply pointed to a behavior that is unethical, but in these cynical times is neither illegal nor unexpected from a politician.

As far as Code Pink goes, I don't understand their point in going after Pelosi. Her job is to lead a group that holds many different positions, and I'm not sure what she could do differently to get more done.

That said, moderate extremists (for lack of a better term) often lead the way when they present a vision, rather than attack individuals. Examples of this are the civil rights movement on the left and the family values movement on the right, the latter of which I mostly oppose.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -9

All you have to do is look at Pelosi's grinning phony face to know that she is one of the biggest "political hacks" ever to come out that cesspool called Washington, the reason the democrats love her is she is an enemy of the Hated Bush.

Go get em Aunt Nancy the more you screw them the more they will fall to their knees and kiss your ring.

Aunt Nancy is over having tea, grinning and kissing the peoples a$s that want to come over here and disembowel your children.

Aunt Nancy is over there grinning and slobbering with the Smelly Muslim Bastards that danced in the streets when they saw 3000 innocent human beings being slaughtered on their TV Screens in America on 9/11.

Pelosi is a scummy slimey political Kunt, a rat bastard, she is sucking up to America's enemy, another Jane Fonda.
  5. patriotspride

patriotspride Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

i would love to take that plastic surgery face of pelosis and jam it into my freshly used toilet .
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  6. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -9

GOD IS GREAT DEATH TO AMERICA
  7. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

It's heartening to see the righties are reduced to sophomoric rants. Even Fog, in another thread, seems to think the only reason we don't like Bush is because he did the same as Clinton and beat the opposing party twice. As the administration unravels because of failures and corruption, I think the righties are trying to find a way to save face by delivering childish comments. Bring it on!
  8. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Holy cow, you are a complete hack! Everything you just said, somebody else has said about George Bush.
  9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -9

It was only a matter of months following Bush winning that they were trying to crucify his daughter Jenna, what happened to the White House Silver ware?
    This was all before his "failures".
  10. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

How does that make me a complete hack? While I agree there are many who criticize Bush for personal reasons that has never been my focus. I object to his logic and his conservative philosophy. I have seldom seriously participated in threads that focus on his individual faults and, frankly, since NEM left, we've had relatively few threads of that type.

In addition, I'm not defending Feinstein -- I've already criticized her elsewhere, but I'm criticizing the way the groups are going after her.

Do you know what "hack" means? Explain yourself.
  11. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Hack means somebody who would rather tow the line for someone they like rather than being honest. George W. Bush's defenders did the same for him, their retorts to any criticism were the same as the ones you gave: nobody has any better ideas, and that's just the way it's done in Washington. Wrong is wrong, and Feinstein is wrong. Somebody's going to see that as a political opportunity, just like Democrats and Republicans always do when jumping at each other, but it doesn't excuse the act. And don't talk out of both sides of your mouth by saying you already criticized her elsewhere while you're defending her here.
  12. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

You are reading all sorts of stuff into what I said. I am not been and have never been a fan of Feinstein. She's a DLC Democrat, like Lieberman and Clinton. I am criticizing the approach of the groups who are criticizing her, not the need to criticize her. By going after her on a conflict of interest issue, they are not laying the groundwork to replace her with someone better. And, unless there's proof that she violated the Senate ethics rules (and from what I've read, she's had things cleared with them), then this issue won't get much traction. If they want to go after Feinstein, they should go after her for her DLC views, such as they did to successfully press her to change her stand on Alito.
  13. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That's not their responsibility. I'm glad when government officials who do unethical things are called out on it, even if there's no better candidate in mind at the time. Are they supposed to keep quiet about it because they're not running a campaign to replace her?
  14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

I was reading about Feinstein's husband being a contractor for the Walter Reed stuff, which is why she's been quiet too. These people are all the same, which is what I've been saying for quite some time. I'll check out the links though.
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

You're just noticing? :D
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

Do you hold everyone to this same standard?
  17. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

That's not at all what I said, but I think there's a much bigger issue. The real issue is the direction of the country.

The right-wing has taken us down a road that's made us more polarized, our economy less equitable, our world situation more vulnerable, and our values more hypocritical. The mainstream Republicans have acted like sheep while this happened.

The mainstream Democrats have taken us down a road that's nothing but Republican light.

There is no common left-wing philosophy to rival that of march-in-step radical right. There are signs of hope, with people like Al Gore, John Edwards, Barack Obama, and Jim Webb speaking out. But, they are politicians, and should not lead the way. The political activists need to advocate something bigger than this legal ethical lapse. It's great they pressed Feinstein to step down from her committee, but it does nothing to educate the public about the bankrupt values that have been imposed on our society by the morally bankrupt right wing.

On the Feinstein (and possibly Pelosi) issue, I don't see what the activists expect to gain. Corruption is an important issue, but it should be a tool to achieve broader aims, and I don't see that here.
  18. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Mostly. Sometimes I play politics because it's fun, but generally I try to stick to the bigger issues. That Bush got drunk driving tickets can be fun to tease people with, but it's hardly a problem for me. That Bush was AWOL from the military can be a useful petty response when someone brings up a Clinton mistake, but it's hardly the reason I'm against Bush.

Now, since I assume this is what you're referring to, as far as Republican scandals go, there are two points:

(1) In politics, like sports, the goal is to weaken the opponent so that you push your own agenda. Going after Republicans for anything legitimate is smart because it makes it easier to achieve more important aims. This was the strategy that the Republicans used to fight the Clinton agenda, and it was reasonably effective. Politics is a nasty game, and it always has been since the founding of our Republic because there's no way to change it. It's rough and tumble, like a good Pats-Eagles game.
    (2) In Feinstein's case, from what I've read she cleared her conflict of interest with the Senate Ethics Committee. Now, I'm not saying that makes her right or makes the Senate Ethics Committee, but it means she probably did not commit a crime, so the issue will not turn into a Cunningham type affair.
  19. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You are correct.

The only thing that your leaving out is all of the republicant's also that fill the very same bill...
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2007