Welcome to PatsFans.com

The majority of personal bankruptcies in the US caused by medical problems

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by apple strudel, Jul 29, 2009.

1. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Everybody who fights health care reform is really working to impoverish the middle class (and probably yourselves when the sh*t hits the fan), while insurance companies and for profit hospitals treat us like economic indentured servants. This is exactly why Americans want reform, and exactly why it's being fought so hard. It's time to end the thinking that we don't deserve better.

What's most likely to bankrupt you - MSN Money

2. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +209 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Can the rise in these medical problems that lead to financial ruin be tied to the obesity epidemic the nation faces?

Nearly 10 percent of health spending for obesity - Health care- msnbc.com

Increased Food Intake Alone Explains Rise In Obesity In United States, Study Finds

3. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Don't deflect the issue: health care should not lead to bankruptcies. Period. Regardless of the cause of disease.

That's the way it is in Western Europe. That's the way it is in Canada.

The problem is not obesity, the problem is for-profit health care trying to cash in on the aging baby boom.

Nationalize it now.

4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

You're right, but there are other factors, too. Stress from both parents working to get three cars, and year-round sports camps for their spoiled brat kids. Steroids and hormones in the protein food supply. Toxins in the water and crops. Jets fans.

5. alvinnf

alvinnf In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -0

There needs to be a fat tax!!!!! We should have a tax based on fat% we need to get rid of all these chubby pork balls, they are weighing heavily on our healthcare system. Stroke, Cardiac arrest, colon cancer the big three, your chances of getting one of these spikes if your fat!!! Go for a flippin' jog and leave my health insurance alone.

6. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Yes.

If you read the article then you might get some sense of the problem with this position.

7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +726 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

The article isn't out yet but it looks like it's an update to a previous one. That one has been discussed here before and was biased because any family/individual who filed for bankruptcy who owed any medical bills were put in the "medical bills contributed to the bankruptcy" pile when they were not the cause.

This part says it all for me :

""For middle-class Americans, health insurance offers little protection. Most of us have policies with so many loopholes, co-payments and deductibles that illness can put you in the poorhouse," said lead author Himmelstein."

I can't speak to the loopholes, but health insurance generally has low co-pays and not particularly high deductibles. Including those in the group of things that can "put you in the poorhouse" speaks to how many of these people are right on the edge with or without medical issues.

8. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

wrong.........I am not willing to trade the quality of my healthcare for the improvement of someone elses...........call me selfish, but my kids health coverage would also suffer

Britain's Million-Year Wait - by Matthew Young and Eamonn Butler - Health Care News

Wait Times for Health Care in Canada - Provincial Data on Wait Times for Health Care in Canada

France's model healthcare system - The Boston Globe

I'll go with the french plan if, just like in france, they make medical school free

to think you will have the same quality of health care as exists now is silly.......to disregard the cost, and to believe in arbitrary claims (obama) is even sillier........

there may be a plan that would work, but the current one on the table is not it

9. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

maybe somebody elses problem, but why would any logically thinking person choose to weaken their own health care for the sake of someone else?

10. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +209 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

It's too related to the problem to ignore or shrug off as a deflection. As a matter of fact part of the health care reform on the table now addresses curbing obesity specifically as a cost saving mechanism.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  11. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

More on the methodology:

12. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

What happens if you lose your job and are unemployed for a period of time? Does it really make sense to pay extra for COBRA when you are collecting unemployment? What happens when COBRA runs out? :ugh:

13. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I will never be unemployed

14. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

We already suffer from low quality of care.

The World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health systems

15. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +726 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Honestly, I'm not interested in what the people say is the reason. Excuses for people are like asssholes, everyone has one. Other than pre existing conditions I have never known anyone with these supposed medical insurance nightmares. I just don't believe it and I know too many people with a variety of medical expenses to believe some "poll" of people where they're given the opportunity to blame someone else for their financial problems.

16. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Nobody is saying that we shouldn't lower costs. But you're not following the position: we shouldn't force people into bankruptcy when they get sick. Period.

Replace obesity with cancer and your argument just completely falls apart. Let's stop blaming the victim.

17. alvinnf

alvinnf In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -0

I'm just being obnoxious, I actually do believe that cleaning this one area up should be a top priority. No one should have their financial destiny ruined due to sickness, we have to find a better way. Not socialized medicine however, something else. But fat people should jog, or walk allot until they can jog.:idea2:

18. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

You don't have enough information to draw this conclusion, not knowing more about the details of the interviews and evidence used to establish the claims.

19. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Oh, OK. Gotcha.

20. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0