Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which 3-0 teams are legit contenders to win the Super Bowl?

• Patriots

Votes: 70 97.2%
  • Broncos

Votes: 53 73.6%
  • Ravens

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Vikings

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • Eagles

Votes: 12 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MainePatsFan26

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
After three weeks, we have five teams at 3-0: the Patriots, Broncos, Ravens, Eagles, and Vikings. Beyond the Patriots and Broncos, the other teams are performing at a level higher than expected. Which of the 3-0 teams do you consider to have a legitimate chance to win the Super Bowl?

There are obviously a ton of games left and a 2-1 or 1-2 team might end up making it to the Super Bowl. But, for now, let's focus on the undefeated teams and talk about which ones are legitimate threats and which ones are pretenders.

While plenty of you might go the coach speak route of they all are legit contenders, let's try to limit this talk to the teams you feel have a real shot.

us and the donkeys

not impressed with anyone else.

Patriots. There's no one that comes close if they stay healthy.
Agreed. The Broncos insane defense makes them the biggest threat in my eyes. The regular season meeting should be a really good yardstick for determining where we're both at.

In the meantime, I am starting to believe in the Vikings as a dark horse (or dark norse... heh) to make it to the Super Bowl on the backs of their defense. There are so many flaws in the supposedly dominant NFC: I don't trust a rookie qb for the Eagles (though believe he might be HOF long-term), see the Seahawks and Cardinals as more one-dimensional than originally suspected on offense, have some legitimate questions about the Packers on defense and running the football, and haven't felt the same spark with the Panthers on both side of the ball.

The AFC, which Vegas had as less likely to win the Super Bowl, has the Patriots and Broncos firing on all cylinders and the Ravens hanging around (though beating the Bills, Browns, and Jags isn't a huge accomplishment). The Ravens and Raiders game should help to clarify where they are at against a team with a winning record.

Can't judge until you play a division game.

Pats, Broncos and Vikings in that order. That Viking defense looks legit but I haven't seen all their games. They've gotten to Rodgers and Cam in b2b weeks. Emphatically.

Agreed. The Broncos insane defense makes them the biggest threat in my eyes. The regular season meeting should be a really good yardstick for determining where we're both at.

In the meantime, I am starting to believe in the Vikings as a dark horse (or dark norse... heh) to make it to the Super Bowl on the backs of their defense. There are so many flaws in the supposedly dominant NFC: I don't trust a rookie qb for the Eagles (though believe he might be HOF long-term), see the Seahawks and Cardinals as more one-dimensional than originally suspected on offense, have some legitimate questions about the Packers on defense and running the football, and haven't felt the same spark with the Panthers on both side of the ball.

The AFC, which Vegas had as less likely to win the Super Bowl, has the Patriots and Broncos firing on all cylinders and the Ravens hanging around (though beating the Bills, Browns, and Jags isn't a huge accomplishment). The Ravens and Raiders game should help to clarify where they are at against a team with a winning record.

I disagree with the claim that the Broncos have an "insane" defense. They're very weak against the run this year, and they are still weak against TEs as always. With our vastly improved OL, both Bennett and Gronk playing, and with Lewis back in the mix, we'll have a lot of success against that defense. They match up very poorly against us.

I disagree with the claim that the Broncos have an "insane" defense. They're very weak against the run this year, and they are still weak against TEs as always. With our vastly improved OL, both Bennett and Gronk playing, and with Lewis back in the mix, we'll have a lot of success against that defense. They match up very poorly against us.
Here's hoping they do match up poorly against us. I just don't want to jinx ourselves by falling asleep on the defending Super Bowl champs.

At full strength, even historicly dominant defenses would be in tough against our offense because of the uniqueness that the twin TE formation presents, especially when you add in our midget brigade with Lewis/Edelman/Amendola/White. This is not even factoring in Hogan/Mitchell and a rejuvanated Blount.

Denver is a great defense that sometimes crosses the line with their physical play, but if you asked me I'd rather my defense stray on the side of being physically and mentally imposing, even if it means some unnecessary penalties at times.

Their main loss this year stems from the absence of Malik Jackson, you can run up the middle on them. This is where the twin TE blocking coupled with Lewis specifically will be a major weapon for us that we didn't have last year in the AFCC.

Siemian has proven to be a revelation considering they were willing to fork out 18M/year to Osweiler, who is also an inferior QB. Add that to DThomas/Sanders/Anderson and you have a solid offense that at the very least is superior to their offense last year.

Patriots - we all know how good they are

Broncos - incredible defense whether I like it or not

No one else, Ravens haven't played anyone, Vikes have Bradford, Eagles have a rookie who is playing well.

I think the AFCCG Pats v Donks is the Superbowl

I watched yesterday Denvers game and i was really impressed with Kubiak plan and their rookie QB. BEngals focused on the running game and completely shut down it, but Sieman did good job and with help of Sanders and 5 first downs with the penalty help in the first half i can say cudos to Kubiak. Sieman had some really good throws in tight coverage. Their D is still good and pats should beat them but if the game will be close than there is referee factor where Denver has huge advantage.

Vikings were good in D last year too and with one more year from some players to get zimmer system they are top D. And we all see in last year SB this year Denver game that Cam isnt that good against top D.

As for eagles i can say that Schwartz is great def coordinator. FAct is that he has top Dline in Lions and one year in Buffalo but he always manage to make that D in some top in the NFl. so as much as he is bad head coach he is really good def coord. And that off coord for Philly is not bad at tall.

Also, for some reason the damn jackasses' (Donkeys) always seem to stay relatively healthy. It seems as though the only key player to really get injured is Ware. Talib, Harris, Miller, Ward Roby, Wolfe, Anderson, Sanders rarely, if at all get injured smdh ...I don't get it

Also, for some reason the damn jackasses' (Donkeys) always seem to stay relatively healthy. It seems as though the only key player to really get injured is Ware. Talib, Harris, Miller, Ward Roby, Wolfe, Anderson, Sanders rarely, if at all get injured smdh ...I don't get it

What's especially infuriating is that Talib's injuries here arguably cost the Pats 2 SuperBowl births.

Yet he's been an ironman for the Broncos and only missed 1 or 2 games over the last 2+ years and counting.

What's especially infuriating is that Talib's injuries here arguably cost the Pats 2 SuperBowl births.

Yet he's been an ironman for the Broncos and only missed 1 or 2 games over the last 2+ years and counting.
In addition, i didn't include D. Thomas since he often suffers from stone-handitis. Especially in the playoffs. Also, Logan Ryan usually tends to shut him down, but it's a moot point.

In the Nationwide jingle:

"someone's borrwowing my HGH" :D

3-0 vs 2-1 or even 1-2 doesn't mean a ton this early. If you are 0-3 though you have problems and it is not just bad luck.

Look at AZ. They laid and egg vs the Bills and missed a FG vs us that maybe wins that game. Yes they are 1-2 but you can say "if you play like they usually do vs the Bills and hit that FG they are 3-0 or at least 2-1. 1 lose in 3 games is highly common even for good teams, 2 times is a coincidence or bad scheduling luck, 3 loses means you are just not good at this point.

So I am not paying a ton of attention to overall win/loss records at this point unless you are 0-3.

My list of contenders has not changed much

For sure in it - Pats, Denver, Pitt, Seahawks, Carolina, AZ, GB and the likelihood is in that order IMO.

Vikings? nope. Bradford sucks and vs a good D will throw a ton of picks but that D is legit.
Eagles? I don't think their D is as good as it has been up to this point. I am just unsure the talent exist to sustain it and a QB that new to the NFL will struggle but is right now on an early hot streak.
Baltimore? I will wait and see more. They could be interesting though. Closest in the 3-0 teams besides Pats/Denver to being contenders right now IMO.

It is interesting to me both Carolina and AZ are 1-2. I don't think it continues but i expected Carolina to struggle this year. 15-1 was not going to repeat cause they are not that kind of power house team and Cam was insanely hot most of that year. He is not as good as he played that year usually. I'd say 11-5 and same for AZ if Palmer stays healthy. I still like both a lot more than GB who I just don't think has the D to truly get it done. My fav in the NFC is Seattle to represent though and I think they will be a tough opponent.

Who voted the Eagles..? They're looking promising, but come on now.

Yeah , that's what everyone said in 2001 about the Pats and their 6th round QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots