PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The magnitude of November just hit me like a two-ton heavy thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Skimming Schefter's Blog, I found a little scribble about our Patriots. Nothing new, but intriguing to see it sitting there, so plainly spoken.

NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Patriots begin push to take control of AFC East

Three teams — New England, New York, Buffalo — sit atop the AFC East, tied for first place in the division. But the Patriots have a chance in the next three games to create separation.

The Patriots next three games are all against division opponents — Sunday at home vs. Buffalo, the following Thursday night at home on NFL Network against the New York Jets, and at Miami on Nov. 23.

If the Patriots can find a way to pull off the three-game divisional sweep — minus quarterback Tom Brady, running back Laurence Maroney and safety Rodney Harrison — the division will be all but over.

And even for a three-time Super Bowl champion, it will be one of the Patriots most impressive accomplishments.

I guess for some of you seasoned vet's it's bird-seed, but seing spelled out like that, it's steak for me.

Last edited:
I fully expect the Patriots to win all three games. Coach constantly preaches one thing: Win the division. If you win the division, you control your destiny. If you don't win the division, your chances of getting into the playoffs are dependent upon other teams. That is not conducive to success.

Respects,

That gets me jacked up. and two of the 3 games are so close together this next week is huge.

Last edited:
Three games to another glorious division crown.........this is the season.

I think we are starting to jell at exactly the right time.

Three games -- two weeks. It'll be over before you know it.

Hang onto your hats.

On one hand I'm glad to see some folks finally come around and start to understand that - unlike the past few years - the division games are more important than games against the other big name AFC teams. On the other hand, the concept that the 'division will be all but over' if the Pats win each of these three games is rather short-sighted. Should that happen the Pats may find themselves two up on the Jets (they're at Tennessee Week 12) but the Bills play the Browns and the Rams - so the Pats would probably only be up by one game. Then the following week the Pats play the Steelers while Buffalo gets the 49ers, so it's not unlikely that the Pats and Bills will be tied for first to begin December. So how sweeping these three games wraps up the division is beyond me.

On one hand I'm glad to see some folks finally come around and start to understand that - unlike the past few years - the division games are more important than games against the other big name AFC teams. On the other hand, the concept that the 'division will be all but over' if the Pats win each of these three games is rather short-sighted. Should that happen the Pats may find themselves two up on the Jets (they're at Tennessee Week 12) but the Bills play the Browns and the Rams - so the Pats would probably only be up by one game. Then the following week the Pats play the Steelers while Buffalo gets the 49ers, so it's not unlikely that the Pats and Bills will be tied for first to begin December. So how sweeping these three games wraps up the division is beyond me.

Because head-to-head comes first. Unfortunately Pats@Bills isn't until Week 17, but if the Pats beat the JEST in Foxboro, then the only way for the JEST to win the division is to have a strictly superior W/L record, which means at least three additional wins among the other 14 games (e.g., if the Pats go 8-6 in the other 14 games, the JEST need to go 11-3 in theirs).

I posted this on 11/3 in another thread:
The rest of November is extremely crucial and here's how it lines up. IMO a division title requires 4-0 sweep in these games because Miami and Buffalo have extremely easy schedules the rest of the way. The good thing is the Pats control their destiny, it could be as good as another division title and #2 seed or a WC birth.

Pats
11/9 vs Buf 1:00 PM
11/13 vs NYJ 8:15 PM
11/23 @ Mia 1:00 PM
11/30 vs Pit 4:15 PM

Nov. games for the rest of AFC East:

Mia
vs Sea
vs Oak
vs Pats
@ Stl

Buf
@ Pats
vs Cle
@ KC
vs SF

NYJ
vs Stl
@ Pats
@ Ten
vs Den

Last edited:
Because head-to-head comes first. Unfortunately Pats@Bills isn't until Week 17, but if the Pats beat the JEST in Foxboro, then the only way for the JEST to win the division is to have a strictly superior W/L record, which means at least three additional wins among the other 14 games (e.g., if the Pats go 8-6 in the other 14 games, the JEST need to go 11-3 in theirs).

They will beat the Jets! It'll be my 3rd time going to a game, with the first 2 times being a loss. Third time's gonna be the charm. :D

It's true the Pats would be in great shape against the Jets in this three-game sweep scenario, but how does having a one-game lead over the Bills with five games remaining - including one against the Steelers and one in Bufalo - equate to "the division will be all but over"?

I guess for some of you seasoned vet's it's bird-seed, but seing spelled out like that, it's steak for me.
Welcome to my buffet - aren't you glad that vegan phase is behind you. ;)

They will beat the Jets! It'll be my 3rd time going to a game, with the first 2 times being a loss. Third time's gonna be the charm. :D
If we lose, I'm totally blaming you. Maybe you should give me your tickets, just to be on the safe side. :)

If we complete that feat, I will be as proud of this team as I have been since 2004. This month is huge for us. This is the month we get a chance to put ourselves in the position to shove in the haters' face. Let's do it, boys.

Welcome to my buffet - aren't you glad that vegan phase is behind you. ;)

Hey, what's wrong with veggie foods, especially the ones cooked properly in the Latin or Asian or Indian styles?? :D

It's true the Pats would be in great shape against the Jets in this three-game sweep scenario, but how does having a one-game lead over the Bills with five games remaining - including one against the Steelers and one in Bufalo - equate to "the division will be all but over"?

It took me a second to realize the answer.

It'd be all but over because BUF would then have a minimum of three losses in the division, while the Patriots would be assured of a maximum of two losses. So BUF would need to have a strictly superior record, since they would lose on tiebreakers (head-to-head would be moot, and they'd lose division record).

It took me a second to realize the answer.

It'd be all but over because BUF would then have a minimum of three losses in the division, while the Patriots would be assured of a maximum of two losses. So BUF would need to have a strictly superior record, since they would lose on tiebreakers (head-to-head would be moot, and they'd lose division record).
Wow, I hadn't considered that at all, good job thinking that out. I was just focused in on the idea that Buffalo would still have plenty of time to catch up, even if the Pats do win these next three games. Still a whole lot of football to be played, but now I'm even more pumped up about these three games.

What about Miami,, haven't they beaten the Bills and the Pats, almost beat the Jets so second time around they could beat them.

We have never done well in Miami. Can we handle the "Wildcat" in the heat??

Miami has some creampuffs on their upcoming schedule, Seahawks, Oalkand, KC,,,

What about Miami,, haven't they beaten the Bills and the Pats, almost beat the Jets so second time around they could beat them.

We have never done well in Miami. Can we handle the "Wildcat" in the heat??

Miami has some creampuffs on their upcoming schedule, Seahawks, Oalkand, KC,,,

With eight games to play, they're currently down one. If the Pats beat them, they need at least two extra wins (if they get the tiebreaker), and probably three extra wins in the remaining seven games. [It's hard to say who would win a tiebreaker.]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes