PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The lousy corner thread (Wilhite & Bodden) merged

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: The lousy corner thread ( Wilhite & Bodden0 merged

Our defense gives up 26 total yards in a half, and one of the CBs is getting picked on?

Manning "picked on" wilhite because he was in single coverage more than anyone else.

yea on a top 5 WR . wilhites doing fine

Only thing I didn't like about our pass defense yesterday was letting Keller get a clean release when the Pats were playing zone.

I am right there with the sentiment that Wilhite has has really nice tight coverage. With time, I hope he'll develop even better ball skill type instincts to be able to make incredible plays to go with his tight coverage. Maybe that's wishful thinking.

Look, I'm really not trying to rag on Wilhite.. I've just been noticing the past couple of weeks that most of the completions are happening against him. Now are they perfect throws? Some of them yes, am I picking on him for that? Absolutely not.

What I am saying is... it seems to me that he is getting thrown at more often than not. What good is "tight coverage" if the passes are completed?

I've wondered about Wilhite, but whenever I see the games again, I do notice how tight his coverage is. Earlier this season, I think I even said on these boards that he reminded me of Hobbs because he seemed to be on the wrong end of big plays. On further review though, I don't think that's really the case. He's a pretty solid player, but in a secondary as talented as the Pats, solid can seem pretty unremarkable.

I think Willhite is our best cover corner man-to-man. He is seeing the first significant action of his NFL career, and he needs to develop, including better ball skills. This will not happen overnight. Our secondary is much improved, but it is not yet on par with the days of Ty Law blanketing WRs looking out for Rodney as they go across the middle. In part b/c we have little pressure up front and NO has good WRs, Brees will light up a few of our DBs Mon night. We just have to keep him from doing it consistently. They blew the big test last week, but now they get another chance to prove they can beat a top offense on the road. This one is huge for their confidence because the next big test will be winner take all.

I think Butler is the most talented CB on our team. He just glides effortlessly down the field---he makes it look easy, sometimes you wonder if he even cares. The guy needs to play against IND in the AFCCG, should NE be fortunate enough to get there.

Wilhite is a grinder. He plays tight coverage, but has been posterized by some perfectly executed throws. I think he's leaps and bounds ahead of Hobbs, who was an atrocious CB who never could stay on his feet if a pass was thrown his way. I think Wilhite is athletic and he has good balance and body control---he rarely ever falls down like that smurf did.

Last edited:

the td to cotchery and the other 2 comletions i saw to wilhites man were pretty damn good throw and catches. He is good the only thing i saw that he might do better is make a play on the ball as his good possitioning got him in a possition to do it but specially for the TD to cotchery he just didn't make a play on the ball. that being said he was right there and it took a damn good throw n catch to beat him... nothing like hobbs

the td to cotchery and the other 2 comletions i saw to wilhites man were pretty damn good throw and catches. He is good the only thing i saw that he might do better is make a play on the ball as his good possitioning got him in a possition to do it but specially for the td to cotchery he just didn't make a play on the ball. That being said he was right there and it took a damn good throw n catch to beat him... Nothing like hobbs

yupp!!!!!!!!!

He's not starter material right now ... but he's still young and he seems to work hard ... I'd keep him around another year or so.

By my count,this is the third time this corner fade has been successfull against us on the LCB.

Once on Shawn Springs.......on Darius Butler...and then,yesterday,on Wilhite.

Each was to a big receiver,against a blitz,with a single high-safety.3 different QB's recognized the single coverage and made perfect throws.Darius Butler had the best technique with his coverage,pinning the receiver towards the sideline..............Springs got turned around and had no idea where the receiver was and Wilhite never picked up the flight of the ball.

If you blitz and don't at least get into the QB's face to disrupt his view...........you're dead.

................sometimes you eat the bear...........sometimes the bear eats you.

I agree with the posters in this thread that are happy with his coverage. He is there in good position. He doesn't get his head turned around to pick up the ball as quick as I would like. I'm hoping coaching and experience can solve this.

I wouldn't call getting beat by perfectly thrown passes, despite being in position, "exposed". I would call it flawless accuracy and execution by the opposing QB.

And a hurried QB is rarely accurate.

Look, I'm really not trying to rag on Wilhite.. I've just been noticing the past couple of weeks that most of the completions are happening against him. Now are they perfect throws? Some of them yes, am I picking on him for that? Absolutely not.

What I am saying is... it seems to me that he is getting thrown at more often than not. What good is "tight coverage" if the passes are completed?

Bump.

Just sayin'... maybe there is something to what I was saying in this thread afterall. :rolleyes:

Bump.

Just sayin'... maybe there is something to what I was saying in this thread afterall. :rolleyes:

Bodden got beat just as much as Wilhite tonight.

Difference is, I've seen Bodden make plays (e.g. batted down passes, not just "tight" coverage).

So in your opinion, Bodden = Wilhite?

Bad game... A lot of our players looked like they had two left feet tonight.

everyone in the secondary turned into Deltha O'neal tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back