PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The loss is on Brady again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm allegedly working right now.
Quite possibly the greatest singular post on patsfans Patjew. We often share the same alleged incidence ;).

Brady was absolutely brutal in the second half. Just brutal! This loss is definitely on him.
The upside is the more Tom plays the better and more consistent he'll get.
NOBODY will want to play this Patriots team in January. ;)

Brady was absolutely brutal in the second half. Just brutal! This loss is definitely on him.

You have to make plays Brady missed at least four plays two to Moss and two seem routes to Welker. Offensively it was terrible play calling in the second half but once again if Brady hits Moss to begin the second half with an easy 3rd down pass or hit Welker on those routes they win this game ina route. Orton never threw a pass more than six yards downfield and the times he did he was almost picked off. Shawn Springs has to catch that ball at the end of the game

He hasn't looked good but he needs more time to recover. He is coming back from a huge knee injury and his shoulder is probably still feeling it after that preseason tackle. Historically, he has always struggled against the Broncos at home, too. I expect him to be inconsistent up until the bye week. After the week off, I expect Tom to be back to normal or at least close to 100%.

his shoulder is probably still feeling it after that preseason tackle.

This is something IMO, that doesnt get mentioned enough. Sure there are times when Brady is rushing his throws because he thinks the rush is getting to him, and its not. Sure, there's some rust from being off for a year. But, it just seems like there's certain throws that he's way off on. Could it be something to do with the shoulder? I don't know. It just seems weird that the throws that require some heat and distance, are off target. Then again, week 1 passes to Watson were perfect. I give up, i don't know whats wrong with Tom. :confused:

Ok I have had time to stew over this loss.....First off one thing that really pissed me off was after light got hurt and they brought in seabass they ran the ball to protect him....I knew exactly what they were doing (being an o-lineman) and told my sister why they were running the ball but damn, if he is on the team that means he can play so run the same plays as if light were in there.....My feeling is that our lack of running game is hurting our passing game....When we ran the ball our play action was successful when he hit moss down the middle of the field for about 30-40 yards.....we really need an explosive back like a chris johnson who can take a screen pass the distance...I like the way morris runs but he is more of a banger and we miss that guy that can break the big one.....maroney is terrible imo and we are going to miss taylor bad.....I am maybe one of the few that thinks brady will get his stuff together and won't be missing moss wide open for TD's.....I think that we will be allright and will still make the playoffs and then anything can happen...

Ok I have had time to stew over this loss.....First off one thing that really pissed me off was after light got hurt and they brought in seabass they ran the ball to protect him....I knew exactly what they were doing (being an o-lineman) and told my sister why they were running the ball but damn, if he is on the team that means he can play so run the same plays as if light were in there.....My feeling is that our lack of running game is hurting our passing game....When we ran the ball our play action was successful when he hit moss down the middle of the field for about 30-40 yards.....we really need an explosive back like a chris johnson who can take a screen pass the distance...I like the way morris runs but he is more of a banger and we miss that guy that can break the big one.....maroney is terrible imo and we are going to miss taylor bad.....I am maybe one of the few that thinks brady will get his stuff together and won't be missing moss wide open for TD's.....I think that we will be allright and will still make the playoffs and then anything can happen...

Light isn't great at run blocking, and that's one area where Vollmer is probably better..

Offensively it was terrible play calling in the second half.............

It's been brutal all season long. The Pats are predictable and go into this bizarre conservative shell during the 4th quarter. Rather than being agressive and going for the kill they get passive in their playcalling. Remember how they did the same thing against the Ravens?? They almost lost that game after turtling 3 and out when they had great field position in the 4th with a chance to put the Ravs away.
No screens, no play action. How about a TE slant route?? How about Moss in a slant to get him the ball? How about going hurry up offense in the 2nd half to wake up the sleepwalking O?
They don't do any of this.
Brady's rust in combination with the wimpish vanilla playcalling is what's killing this team right now.
This is a bend don't break D. I can't fault them for giving up 17 points on the road to an undefeated team in regulation.
This defeat falls at the feet of the offense.

Then why do they run behind Light, and Mankins so much? :confused:

Cuz Mankins is ******* awesome run blocking. Also, of defensive left side (offensive right) will typically have the better run stoppers.

This is not an uncommon trait in LT's. RT's typically are better run blockers, and LT's are typically better pass blockers (because they usually guard the QB's blind side.

Ys, bring Cassel back, I think that the Chiefs are really happy with him...

This. If anybody remembers the disappearance of Palmer for a year (while playing) after a season-ending knee injury, we may be seeing a mini-version of same.

Some catchable balls were dropped, and yes way more often his passes are off. Sometimes in life you have a good football team that isn't the scariest thing that every came down the pike... come to think of it, that's what the Gintz were in 07 right?

You have to figure getting progressively more dangerous is better than progressively less dangerous. You take the 17 actual points against the Donks, and add in a few woulda coulda shoulda points, and I see a team that has the capability to be very good -- just not yet. That's just not where they are as of right now.

PFnV

This is something IMO, that doesnt get mentioned enough. Sure there are times when Brady is rushing his throws because he thinks the rush is getting to him, and its not. Sure, there's some rust from being off for a year. But, it just seems like there's certain throws that he's way off on. Could it be something to do with the shoulder? I don't know. It just seems weird that the throws that require some heat and distance, are off target. Then again, week 1 passes to Watson were perfect. I give up, i don't know whats wrong with Tom. :confused:

I'm not a QB coach, but from what I've seen, Tom's not stepping into his throws. I think it's a mechanics thing based on comfort, like he doesn't want to step into it because it locks his knee in a position where he could get injured again if he's hit.

This doesn't affect him on the short/intermediate routes, which he can still throw in there with his arm without having his entire body go into the throw, but on the long ball, he has to step into it. Otherwise, his weight is on the back foot.

Throwing off the back foot also makes the ball sail high. And most of his misses were sailed high except for the slant to Welker that he missed. That one, I have no explanation other than poor mechanics.

I think the shoulder is fine because he's still got good velocity, and the ball is flying pretty far and remains in a tight spiral.

He just doesn't look as comfortable in the pocket as he has in the past. I've seen improvement though over the past few weeks, which is encouraging, but on the potential Moss TD, he definitely didn't step into that.

It's been brutal all season long. The Pats are predictable and go into this bizarre conservative shell during the 4th quarter. Rather than being agressive and going for the kill they get passive in their playcalling. Remember how they did the same thing against the Ravens?? They almost lost that game after turtling 3 and out when they had great field position in the 4th with a chance to put the Ravs away.
No screens, no play action. How about a TE slant route?? How about Moss in a slant to get him the ball? How about going hurry up offense in the 2nd half to wake up the sleepwalking O?
They don't do any of this.
Brady's rust in combination with the wimpish vanilla playcalling is what's killing this team right now.
This is a bend don't break D. I can't fault them for giving up 17 points on the road to an undefeated team in regulation.
This defeat falls at the feet of the offense.

:agree:

Regardless of the mechanics and missed throws surely you gotta find a way to get your best WR the ball. The best we played all year on the O was the Falcons when we had Randy in the game all day. It seems its screens or the underneath to Welker/Edelman and that's it. Get Moss on a slant, use Watson more, send Wes deep and Moss underneath. Use Maroney/Faulk out of the backfield, more play action

Its all so so so predictable and I wonder if its being called that way because of Brady one way or the other

Brady is not playing like he used to, but give him time. Peyton was rusty for about 7 games a few years back before he lit a groove over the last half of the season.

But I agree overall-the overthrow of Moss was surprising (or not surprising given the way Tommy is throwing long) and the underthrow (or whatever that lame duck was) to Welker was the killer.

The miss to a wide open Moss, the underthrow of Welker, the constant screen passes

I'll give you the miss to Moss....but not the underthrow to Welker. On the throw to Welker the play is to get the first down. Welker saw and opening and broke after he curled. If he sits tight and stays with the play the ball is on the money, it's a first down, and the Patriots probably win the game.

I think Brady either misread the coverage, or read a blitz that didn't happen when he missed Welker. If that pass hit where Welker was going, it was probably a TD.

Last edited:
Kyle Orten threw for over 300 yards and the Denver offense had >400. The tying touchdown came on a 98 yard drive. A 98 yard drive. Kyle Orten. And we want to blame Brady?

It is going to take time

I agree with some posts TB is throwing more with his arm than with help of legs the reason
for his poor deep throws.

Like Manning's comeback year this could take a while and hoepfully in time to make playoffs and stretch run.

The pats make everyone team look good. On the other hand the giants are just rolling over people.

Re: It is going to take time

I agree with some posts TB is throwing more with his arm than with help of legs the reason
for his poor deep throws.

Like Manning's comeback year this could take a while and hoepfully in time to make playoffs and stretch run.

The pats make everyone team look good. On the other hand the giants are just rolling over people.

Yep, we are way behind Indy, NO, NYG right now on all sides of the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye