PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The linebacker nobody's talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franchise12

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Zach Follet from Cal is a linebacker I've been paying attention to as I attempt to look beyond the surface of this upcoming draft. He's a tenacious player who has a great closing speed and creates turnovers. hes an outside linebacker but he played the inside during the senior bowl and started with the first team (versatility). what do you think of him as a 3rd or 4th round pick.

YouTube - Zack Follet 2007 Highlights

Zach Follet from Cal is a linebacker I've been paying attention to as I attempt to look beyond the surface of this upcoming draft. He's a tenacious player who has a great closing speed and creates turnovers. hes an outside linebacker but he played the inside during the senior bowl and started with the first team (versatility). what do you think of him as a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Actually, people have talked about him.

I think that the version of the highlights on this page is clearer, particularly when you fullscreen it.

Zack Follet 2007Highlights - California Golden Blogs

For me I'm concerned with the size. He's listed as 6'1 238 on his college bio. But those things usually exaggerate height/weight so irl he might be more like 6'0/5'11 and 230 lbs. Does that bring anymore to the table than Ruud who we already have as a STer? If he comes into the combine weighing in at 6'1 or 6'.5 and at least 245ish then I'd give him a longer look as a Pats ILB prospect.

The highlights are nice and all and I like the tackling that I'm seeing for the most part but they don't tell me much about his

1. Ability to take on/shed tackles which he will have to do a lot of in NE.
2. His coverage abilities on the TE/short area WR
3. His ability to play ILB. He's shown almost exclusively as an OLB and I think he would project to ILB for us.

Actually, people have talked about him.

Do you have anything useful to add or do you just like being a douchebag?

I like his versatlility, has the speed to contribute of ST immediately but he apparently has some tackling issues. He also seems a bit light to play ILB in a 3-4 but I think people were saying that about Mayo last year.

Follet is a very likeable LB prospect, the challenge for this Zach is to play like the other Zach who like the pre-stroke Bruschi was a master at avoiding the blocker while still closing the running lane. This Zach weighed in at 231 lbs for the Senior Bowl, Larry Izzo country. I like the kid very much, but if I had the draft pick, I couldn't justify drafting him as high as the 4-3 teams will have him rated - Chicago is going to love this kid.

If he slips to round 6 I'm all over him for Special Teams and the faint hope he can duplicate the other Zach's success.

Follet is a very likeable LB prospect, the challenge for this Zach is to play like the other Zach who like the pre-stroke Bruschi was a master at avoiding the blocker while still closing the running lane. This Zach weighed in at 231 lbs for the Senior Bowl, Larry Izzo country. I like the kid very much, but if I had the draft pick, I couldn't justify drafting him as high as the 4-3 teams will have him rated - Chicago is going to love this kid.

If he slips to round 6 I'm all over him for Special Teams and the faint hope he can duplicate the other Zach's success.

:agree: Much, MUCH better fit for the 4-3. Had 10.5 sacks and 23 TFL in 2008, but would have a hard time doing that as a 3-4 OLB.

Maybe another TBC, only a lot smaller.

I think he projects inside in a 34 defense. For the Pats he would play WILL. He plays violent and has speed. Plays sideline to sideline well. He does lack size, but seemingly has the frame to bulk up (is he 6-0, 6-1, 6-2?? 232-238??). He diagnoses well and finds the ball. He is a very good tackler, he plays the run and pass well and doesn't get fooled by play action. He is a good blitzer and plays well in zone schemes. He sheds well and is very strong. He needs to improve his pass rush moves though and that's why I think he is moving inside. He seems to have upside and will be ready to contribute on ST's asap. A LB I like from Cal as well is Worrell Williams*|*California,*ILB*:*2009 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile I think he would be a good fit for the Pats D and will most likely go late. He may not be a talent for all teams but would fit in nicely on this defense.

Last edited:
I think he projects inside in a 34 defense. For the Pats he would play WILL. He plays violent and has speed. Plays sideline to sideline well. He does lack size, but seemingly has the frame to bulk up (is he 6-0, 6-1, 6-2?? 232-238??). He diagnoses well and finds the ball. He is a very good tackler, he plays the run and pass well and doesn't get fooled by play action. He is a good blitzer and plays well in zone schemes. He sheds well and is very strong. He needs to improve his pass rush moves though and that's why I think he is moving inside. He seems to have upside and will be ready to contribute on ST's asap. A LB I like from Cal as well is Worrell Williams*|*California,*ILB*:*2009 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile I think he would be a good fit for the Pats D and will most likely go late. He may not be a talent for all teams but would fit in nicely on this defense.
Follett is a big project inside, Williams was very slow reading and reacting, the best California 3-4 LB they had - for the NE 3-4 - was Anthony Felder, unfortunately he weighed in at 231 for the Shrine Game, but he had much better insitincts than Williams or Follett.

Williams was very slow reading and reacting, .

Probably because at 5'11" he can't see over the OLine. I don't think he's draftable by NE.

Follett is a big project inside, Williams was very slow reading and reacting, the best California 3-4 LB they had - for the NE 3-4 - was Anthony Felder, unfortunately he weighed in at 231 for the Shrine Game, but he had much better insitincts than Williams or Follett.

I went back and took a long look at these three and Follett does have a high motor but he is stiff and is limited as an athlete, so he would be a big project, although he could be a solid ST player. Williams looks fat and lazy, no longer buying here. You're right, Felder is certainly the best of this crew but I hope that none of these guys are lining up for the Pats next year.

Last edited:

At the very least, a 2nd rounder (with 1st round potential), I think. Cal changed their whole defense just for this guy, if that tells you anything.
My one concern with him would be an injury risk, due to violent collisions.

At the very least, a 2nd rounder (with 1st round potential), I think. Cal changed their whole defense just for this guy, if that tells you anything.

He missed some time with a ruptured disk in his neck. He also whiffs on a lot of tackles when playing in space, which is a common problem for rushing LB's. He showed the ability to adjust to new schemes, unlike Sintim, at the Senior Bowl, and the scouts were said to be impressed.

Last edited:
He missed some time with a ruptured disk in his neck. He also whiffs on a lot of tackles when playing in space, which is a common problem for rushing LB's. He showed the ability to adjust to new schemes, unlike Sintim, at the Senior Bowl, and the scouts were said to be impressed.
Really? I've heard and reaad as much or more criticism of Follett as I have on Sintim...and unlike Sintim, I've not heard any counterbalancing praise.

We already have a weakside ILB in Mayo. We need a strongside ILB that can stack and shed. Thomas is dielly suited for the job.
Brinkley os SC plays a similar game to Thomas. But is he recovered from that devastating knee injury of two years ago?

Are you trying to build the all-time 'reach' team? Follet is not a 2nd rounder, he was among the smallest linebackers (231 lbs) measured at the senior bowl with the shortest arms (30.5)and the smallest hands(9.25).

Draft Countdown - 2009 Senior Bowl Weigh-In

And scout notes that read: "Notes: Looks like he needs to hit the weights." don't inspire confidence in his prospects as an NFL pro.

Follet might be suitable for a 4-3 defense that doesn't need size in its linebackers but he's not a fit for the Pats 3-4 system.

Had him in my mock

Do you have anything useful to add or do you just like being a douchebag?

he thinks he's king of the forum because of his post count. truth is no one cares.

It's too bad that the best linebacker in college football isn't available. Mark Herzlich of Boston College is hands-down the best linebacker I've seen in a long, long time. Size, speed, quickness, great hands and athletic ability. Add to that the Pennsylvania linebacker blue-blood that runs through his veins and he's a shoe in for the first linebacker taken in next year's draft.

If you haven't seen much of him, you owe it to yourself to check him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes