The Lesson of Belichick v. Mangini

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoLewisrocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
From CBS Sportsline -

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Don't know if you heard this, but Bill Belichick just coached against his former assistant. No, really, it's true.

The TV networks should have made a bigger deal out of Belichick competing against his old lieutenant, Eric Mangini. What an under-discussed, little gold mine of a story...

By the time the Patriots' blowout of the Jets began, you wanted to waterboard anyone who mentioned the name of either coach...

Belichick was so irritated by the media following his every step and sniffle as he made his way near midfield to greet Mangini, Belichick used a type of backhand karate chop -- or was it a swim move -- to knock aside a cameraman standing in his way. It was so egregious it is possible Belichick could be fined for his actions.

"There were 80 people between me and Eric," said Belichick. "I'm just trying to coach the team, that's all. I'm just trying to coach the team."

It was an astoundingly over-baked subplot because if you know even just a little about football or Belichick, this game was destined to go one way, and Belichick against Mangini was going to be the equivalent of Bush versus Dukakis.

This 37-16 New England Patriots victory at Gillette Stadium over the New York Jets provided a lesson for many people. The unbelievable ****y Jets fans who called into the New York talk shows all week by the hundreds and said the Jets were just as good as the Patriots. The nincompoops who constantly discuss the demise of this New England regime. The fools who actually believe that Mangini was already, in his first year, somehow demonstrating more coaching acumen than the mentor who might be the best coach of all time.

Let's not forget the suckers who thought New York quarterback Chad Pennington was going to out-Tom Brady, Brady.

The Patriots are better. It is not complicated, people. And they are especially better, than almost anyone, when the postseason comes along. They head for a phone booth and change into something that has tights and a cape.

No two people are more expert at learning from their mistakes, and stepping up their game once the regular season ends, than Belichick and Brady.

Mangini was doomed.
:rocker:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9914270

Great find.

Thanks for posting this one. This is good writing.

Awesome find MoLewis;the article echoes and reinforces something that has been puzzling me about yesterday's game.I was going to start a discussion about it but this article says it all,and much better than I could.
Call me a homer but I was stunned at the level of disappointment that seemed to eminate from the Jets,Mangini,and the fans,leading me to believe that they were actually convinced they would smash the NE Patriots/BB in a playoff game in our house based upon one regular season crusher. I find this mind-boggling,and that's NO slight on the Jets or Mangini btw;it's more of an observation about their expectation level coming into this game.
I do realize pumping his team and instilling confidence is Mangini's job and no doubt the NY media fueled the fires in a Yankee/RS kinda way but regardless of that,how can anybody with any knowledge whatsoever not only so grossly overestimate the Jets, but also so grossly underestimate Bill Belichick,Brady,and the NE Patriots as a whole? I found that mind-blowing-I still do.
Thank you for posting that-at least I know I'm not the only one who was thinking:wha:

From CBS Sportsline -

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Don't know if you heard this, but Bill Belichick just coached against his former assistant. No, really, it's true.

The TV networks should have made a bigger deal out of Belichick competing against his old lieutenant, Eric Mangini. What an under-discussed, little gold mine of a story...

By the time the Patriots' blowout of the Jets began, you wanted to waterboard anyone who mentioned the name of either coach...

Belichick was so irritated by the media following his every step and sniffle as he made his way near midfield to greet Mangini, Belichick used a type of backhand karate chop -- or was it a swim move -- to knock aside a cameraman standing in his way. It was so egregious it is possible Belichick could be fined for his actions.

"There were 80 people between me and Eric," said Belichick. "I'm just trying to coach the team, that's all. I'm just trying to coach the team."

It was an astoundingly over-baked subplot because if you know even just a little about football or Belichick, this game was destined to go one way, and Belichick against Mangini was going to be the equivalent of Bush versus Dukakis.

This 37-16 New England Patriots victory at Gillette Stadium over the New York Jets provided a lesson for many people. The unbelievable ****y Jets fans who called into the New York talk shows all week by the hundreds and said the Jets were just as good as the Patriots. The nincompoops who constantly discuss the demise of this New England regime. The fools who actually believe that Mangini was already, in his first year, somehow demonstrating more coaching acumen than the mentor who might be the best coach of all time.

Let's not forget the suckers who thought New York quarterback Chad Pennington was going to out-Tom Brady, Brady.

The Patriots are better. It is not complicated, people. And they are especially better, than almost anyone, when the postseason comes along. They head for a phone booth and change into something that has tights and a cape.

No two people are more expert at learning from their mistakes, and stepping up their game once the regular season ends, than Belichick and Brady.

Mangini was doomed.
:rocker:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9914270

Great post here...agree with everything you said. Man-gina had a good run against a soft schedule with the exception of us and a few others......But neither he, NOR the Jests at this point in time are equal to Belichick and the Pats......Apples and oranges overall......good points

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes