Welcome to PatsFans.com

The lesson learned

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by 3 to be 4, Aug 9, 2006.

1. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

3 weeks ago I really started praying for the Holy Spirit to dwell in my heart, to change me, to have all of me.

Ever since then ive been getting into all kinds of scraps and embarrassing situations. Every time, its because ive been engaging in the "old me" behavior.

Post a beautiful praising song to God one moment, and then post a mean spirited news story to get a chuckle over how stupid someone is, that kind of thing.

On this site, i made a mean comment about a murder that happened at a Buffet. Sure enough, someone that knew the victim saw my link and was very hurt by it.

In other words, im not getting away with it anymore. And I believe its my Lord telling me its time to sit Worldly me down and tell him to retire, theres a better person He wants me to be, and far better work for me to aspire to.

Im still going to make mistakes, for sure. My God loves and forgives me. And nobody can ever be good enough to earn what is so freely given to us. But its time to let my heart be transformed and my messages be more in line with a follower of Jesus Christ on a consistant basic.
  2. CPF

CPF Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Everyone who chooses to give themselves to Christ has to come to the realisation that they are going to be a work in progress for the rest of their life. In my experience, it's a constant battle with the flesh and to be honest, sometimes I don't fare to well in those confrontations. The thing I have to keep reminding myself is that the enemy will take my failures and multiply them by ten with shame and self loathing if I let him, and to be honest, I sometimes don't win that battle either. Press on my friend, with the confidence that Jesus always has your back. I appreciate you keeping it real, I just wish all of us that claim Christ could just take of the masks we sometimes wear. Take care, CPF
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +244 / 9 / -26

The simplest prayer in the world is the Serenity Prayer, ....wisdom to know the difference, yet it is the most difficult to live. In a money & success driven world, it is so easy to get distracted.
  4. JLC

JLC Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'm constantly, joyfully amazed at where and when I encounter the fellowship of the Spirit...
  5. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

its everywhere and in anything. Being real with the Lord and with others is setting me free.
  6. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,243 / 15 / -11

Disable Jersey

Make a quick check that when you dialed up the Holy spirit that you didn't mistakenly use the 666 area code.
  7. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

ok, not sure which direction that is coming from, but noted.
  8. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +589 / 1 / -3

#75 Jersey

If more people on this planet respected and loved their fellow humans as much as they say they respect and love God, then this world would be a better place.

Secular Humanism has become such a bitter epithet, but think about it. Too many religious revisionists have made it "OK" to hurt and injure a fellow human as long as they love God. Well, it's not OK. Ask God to get into your life AT THE SAME TIME AS CARING FOR THE HUMAN RACE AND THE EARTH.

Read again the verbs in your original post. It's all letting God do this and that. Be PROACTIVE and responsible for your own actions - - God will be much more satisfied with his creation then.

Many say, I have done wrong to so many people, therefore I will pray to God to make me a better person. Well that's fine as long as you also make yourself a better person. Proactively do good deeds for your fellow humans and avoid hurting others. That is the substance. Prayer is fine, but back it up with acts, or else it is meaningless.

Just a thought. I sincerely wish you the best.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  9. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -1

I just responded to a different thread with a less substantive reply than yours, shmessy but along the same lines just without the intelligence and compassion.

Thank you for giving a sincere reply.
  10. shmessy

Ratings:
    +589 / 1 / -3

#75 Jersey

Actually, Clona, I read your response in 3to4's proselytizing thread and gave it an amen.

What strikes me is that here in this thread 3to4 is honestly struggling and admitting that he hasn't found "the way" yet (admirable). Yet in the other thread he's sermonizing to others (myself included, btw) that he has "the way".

The saying that comes to mind would be "Clean up your own house before you put on a white glove in someone else's".
  11. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -1

I had to write a preachy B-day card to my 21 yr-old nephew (it's my due for forking over $$, lol) the other day and I quoted a passage from the movie, 'Chariots of Fire.' It is a scene after a race and Liddell is giving a sermon in the rain and he tells the crowd, everyone runs a race in his or her own way. "And where does the power come from to see the race to its end? From within."
  12. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Exactly when did say I hadnt found "the way"?
    Jesus Christ is the way. My way isnt. Thats the struggle. To let go of the lie that we are in control of everything. I came clean with my mistakes. On my own i am a liar. A thief. every sin in the book. Every one is. Because we are only Human. The struggle is to be consistant in action with what the Lord wants from us.
    My mishaps are mine alone. You are focusing on the messenger here, boys.
    I am not the issue.
    Something about my topic, what the article was saying, hit a nerve. But you never addressed any of what it said.
    I never claimed my house was clean. Whats in yours?
  13. shmessy

Ratings:
    +589 / 1 / -3

#75 Jersey

You don't see the hypocracy? If you are so lost, why are you proselytizing to others?

I mean this only in the most sincrere and compassionate way. Take control of your actions. All the statements about needing some other power to control you and clean you up is rampant excuse making (btw, you could NEVER play for the New England Patriots......right now, you are definitely an Indianapolis Colt).

Many evangelists tear Secular Humanism because it stands in the way of these preachers from taking advantage of folks. Tell these folks that they can't empower themselves, they must buy it from their church, synagogue, mosque, etc. Hve someone else take over you and your decisions - - what you are preaching is nothing more than what so many cults teach. Brainwashing. If your happy in your cult, good. It's offensive when you use all avenues to recruit and brainwash.

It's all about control. And money.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Im am NOT lost. I WAS lost. And now I am found.
    And i am not talking about church, synagogue or mosque. or money. I am talking about Jesus Christ.
    I agree there are religious folk like that. And they are wrong. But Jesus isnt religion. Religion is man made.

This culture we live in doesnt "brainwash"?? look how you responded.
  15. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +58 / 2 / -0

Not sure what to add to this debate - but without getting too detailed into what my personal religious beliefs are, I've long felt that the goal of "salvation" can be looked at as the top of a very high mountain.

There are many paths, by which those from many religions can reach the summit, however each of those paths is much more narrow and arduous than we'd like to believe.
  16. shmessy

Ratings:
    +589 / 1 / -3

#75 Jersey

You're lost but now your found?

Your first post in this thread indicates that you are "found" within the past few weeks. And you're already proselytizing to Jewish people on another thread? Wow, that's pretty quick. Kind of like a quickie change of life there. We sure do live in a lightning fast culture.

Why don't you give it a little time before you start proclaiming to others how you know the "way".

If your find inner peace, then I am happy for you and sincerely hope you do. However, what you are doing is akin to someone graduating from High School and proclaiming himself ready to be a heart surgeon. Even a heinous racist like George Wallace understood that it took a few years of "finding the way" before he pronounced himself ready to preach to others. It's called "credibility".

I have no problem with what you are saying in this thread. It is your proselytizing in the other thread that is the hypocracy. For the very same reason that I laugh whenever I see Jimmy Swaggart or Jim Bakker pass judgement on others these days.

There are many, many people who proclaim themselves to have found "the way". Your fellow Kansan, Fred Phelps, is convinced he knows "the way". It is remarkable how easily some people grant themselves instant credibility to preach to others. For someone who claims to be struggling as a sinner, etc. you sure have quickly given yourself carte blanche to tell others how to live their lives.

This is what gives evangelists a bad name.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  17. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Then you misunderstood my topic. And I apologize for apparently not being clearer. I wasnt found a few weeks ago, it was 17 months ago. What happened a few weeks ago is that the Holy Spirit convicted me on some inconsistant behavior on my part, which I felt a need to share and come clean on.
    about this word "proselytizing".....you seem a little angry about something.
    did i force you to read anything? in my thread I gave "reasons for Jews to..."

if you have other thoughts, why not offer "reasons for Jew not to....."
    wouldnt that be interesting? im open for discussion.

the reason a follower of Christ spreads the Gospel is
    1) Its what Jesus told us to do.
    2) We care about what happens to others souls
    3) To us, We believe it to be the absolute truth, thats why its called Faith.
    4) Its what Jesus told us to do.

we do have a responsibility to be respectful. And i admit many Christians forget this (the thread talked a lot about this). You yourself, may have had bad experiences with this. I know I did and thats what kept me from Christ.
    I was focused on Christians, not Jesus Christ.

I didnt do the fire and brimstone "you're gonna burn" thing. I offered reasons.

If it bothers you, lets keep talking about it.
  18. shmessy

Ratings:
    +589 / 1 / -3

#75 Jersey

1) 2 of your 4 reasons for spreading your Gospel is "Because Jesus told us to do it". Funny that's the same reason your Kansan neighbor Fred Phelps gives when asked why his flock demonstrates at American soldiers' funerals. So pardon me if I don't give THAT reason enough credibility.

2) Now you claim you were "found" 17 months ago. But your first post here:
    ____
    "3 weeks ago I really started praying for the Holy Spirit to dwell in my heart, to change me, to have all of me.
    Ever since then ive been getting into all kinds of scraps and embarrassing situations. Every time, its because ive been engaging in the "old me" behavior.
    Post a beautiful praising song to God one moment, and then post a mean spirited news story to get a chuckle over how stupid someone is, that kind of thing.
    On this site, i made a mean comment about a murder that happened at a Buffet. Sure enough, someone that knew the victim saw my link and was very hurt by it.
    _____

From the sounds of it, I wouldn't call off the search quite yet. Like I said, make sure your own house is clean before giving advice to others. If your experiences of the past 3 weeks represent someone who is already "found", then may I be lost forever!

3) I'm not angry at all. Just pointing out to you why some people may not take you seriously. It's been years since I "got into all kinds of scraps and embarrassing situations" as you have in the past three weeks. Yet, I don't have the hubris to go out and proclaim that I have found "the way". Why don't you just get over the hangover before getting behind the wheel?

Not a sermon, just a thought! :)
  19. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Fred Phelps/ Me. good analogy. ?????

Im sure you havent made any mistakes in "years". Good for you. Im very happy for you.
  20. shmessy

Ratings:
    +589 / 1 / -3

#75 Jersey

Of course I've made mistakes. I'm also self aware enough not to proselytize like you. I respect other people enough not to slobber my beliefs on them unless they come to me requesting it.

So yes, in that respect, you ARE like your fellow Kansan Fred Phelps.

An unsolicited sermon is verbal persecution.

And a sermon coming from someone who has done what you describe yourself doing in the past three weeks is downright hilarious. Like a shoplifter telling others not to steal.