Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Latest OWS Tactic is going to lead to trouble...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Dec 6, 2011.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Here's the latest OWS strategy;

Occupy Movement Taunts Law in Home Takeovers

"Today, in dozens of cities across the nation, the spin-off movement dubbed Occupy Our Homes will unite Occupy Wall Street supporters and local housing activists to "liberate" vacant government- and bank-owned properties and move in families without homes in a National Day of Action that sounds a bit like a modern-day version of Robin Hood."

Occupy Movement Taunts Law in Home Takeovers - Yahoo! Finance

I have a vacant house across the street from me and I observed people stopping by today to check it out. My neighbors and I have decided we will not allow anyone to break into the home and "move in". So far, no one has broken into the house after being vacant for 10 months because we all watch it closely.

We have a plan that involves calling the local police as soon as we see anything strange going on. We agree that someone deserves to live in that house. But we also agree that "deserve" involves making payments just like everyone else. Since I work from my home, I will be 24/7 eyes for my neighborhood.

I think others should do the same. This plan is insane...but interesting too.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Wow:eek:

I saw something wild about them the other day, maybe it was this but there's been this strange 'colonization' type thing going on at OWS, almost since the beginning. I remember seeing videos early on where some of them had invented a new sign-language and when speaking they always repeat whatever one person says, ever notice that? LOL it's all too weird so I guess that's one big reason I'd be a little freaked out about them having this much power.

There's a lot of homeless families these days, tent cities everywhere; thousands of families living in motels, "the motel kids"- it's a travesty. I'd be all about having some of these abandoned buildings refurbished but I'd never envisioned OWS in charge of the whole thing:eek:

I understand your concerns; in theory the idea of housing homeless families is great but the reality is that people who communicate using their own language are the ones in charge. Hmm. :cool:

Interesting tidbit: Supposedly one of the reasons for that recent draconian bill's passage was to arrest all occupiers.

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

The longer the spineless Mayors allow these sh!t bums to squat the nuttier and more demanding they will get, they won't be happy until they FORCE the police to start getting rough it's what they really want, they want RIOTS, they want Violence, they want to make authority look bad, they are a throwback to the old Hippies.

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +829 / 27 / -33

I think they should pepper spray and mace anyone who gets withing 20 yards of the house, and when someone gets through then murder the bastards with their automatic weapons..

Long live the banks .. they are nothing but good and have the common man in mind.

5. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +253 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Obviously they know they can't stay and might even want to be kicked out, maced and pepper sprayed for the publicity of their cause....but do you support the occupations of these homes?

6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +829 / 27 / -33

I support a movement that would help keep families in their homes, and out of the streets..

Obviously was not serious, not sure this is the answer, but a very interesting strategy that may be beneficial.

7. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Agreed except I bet there are even some hippies who are a little weirded out by these people lol.

The ***** IS going to hit the fan; anyone who hasn't figured that out yet is either brain dead or heavily medicated.

Protect thyself cuz nobody else is going to do it for you apparently.

Another interesting tidbit: OWS leaders were also teaching their masses self-defense.

8. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +253 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

I don't think it's a good strategy. The problem is the story winds up being how law enforcement handles the occupiers and whether or not the occupiers bring it upon themselves. It may very well backfire on them.

9. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Stephen Colbert had an OWSer on his show a couple of weeks ago. Her name was Ketchup.

10. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Hadn't heard this one PR. Ill have to read up on more, but I agree with your point about someone living the home but should pay for it.

Somewhat OT - If you have not heard Adam Carolla's OWS rant check out the link below (NSFW language so mind the volume). Effing hilarious!!!

Kinda sums up most of my views of OWS. As I have always said, I agree with the existence of issues in our country (big time), but the OWS'ers lose me with their antics/demand/expectations.

Adam Carolla explains the OWS Generation - YouTube

11. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

12. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,086 / 16 / -9

Well, the "colonization" thing is occupying stuff, right? In terms of the stuff below, just have some info, but no argument really.

They have something like 5 or 6 basic hand-signs, sort of like Robert's Rules of Order add-ons for their meetings. If you agree with someone, you do this "twinkle" thing where you hold up your hands and wiggle your fingers. If you disagree you "down-twinkle" which means you hold your hands facing down and do the same thing... then there's a gesture for "you're boring, wrap it up" etc. As I understand it, it's so you don't have to interrupt someone that's speaking. This probably originated in the fact that you can see better than hear, with no mikes (see below)

LOL... that's called the "People's Mike." They wouldn't let them use amplifiers/sound equipment at Zuccoti park, so they came up with this. The people close to the person speaking to the crowd yells what that person is saying, a phrase at a time, so people further away from the speaker can hear it.

When they do political theater type stunts, they start out by saying "Mike Check"... then a bunch of other people say "Mike Check..." I'm pretty sure they continue in the same vein, but I don't know from the news clips I've seen.

Both of those things, I agree, are weird. They're kind of fun when you know the background, but they're going to translate as just weird on the mass level.

Yeah but the people responsible enough to "be in charge of it" won't do it, right?

Meh. The action has value in and of itself. By having to oppose it, the state/corporate world draws attention to the weirdness of having a bunch of vacant homes and a bunch of homeless people that must be kept forcibly separated.

Any of us can see that whatever reservations we have, that state of affairs is obscene. Maybe since we're all so clever and grown-up we'll argue about housing values and the rule of law and the economy at large and blah blah blah, but it's a great message. And that's all it'll be eventually, unfortunately for the squatters themselves.

Nahhhhh they'd never do that...

13. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,086 / 16 / -9

Couple of things:

1) Wow, "sources" say that? Gotta be true. Or something Fox made up. No way to tell, innit?

2) As Fox says, these guys used to be in ACORN, but according to the article, ACORN's disbanded. Sort of hard to get your undies in a bunch about an organization that doesn't exist.

3) Don't know if Fox is even accurate on point (2), but regardless... what ACORN did was organize. Why the hell should we be shocked or scandalized if they're doing fundraising for OWS?

14. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,016 / 42 / -31

#24 Jersey

15. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +159 / 20 / -17

I remember Holy Driver made a post with a really good link on the OWS movement.
    Their gripe made a lot of sense, but unfortunately their actions continue to baffle me.

I never understood how they were going to get anything accomplished
    by camping out in a park.

At least the tea party members decided to run for office to set their
    own agenda.

If the OWS crew had a problem with Banks... & big business, why not
    pickett the corporation. Why not camp out in front of a CEO's home that
    makes an 8 diget salary while shipping American jobs to India?

Now their plan is to become squatters in someone's elses home?
    Looks like they are learning more than how to stay warm from the homeless.

I still think that they should pickett..... but then again.... that would
    involve work. From what I have seen from the OWS crowd, work is a
    four letter word.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  16. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,086 / 16 / -9

Meh you'd say the same thing if they were picketing... "they say they're working for everybody's good but they're standing around holding signs." It's pretty much a movable feast.

I like them at the level they're at.

They do stuff like this, and I think they think it will last, but "even then it will send a message" seems to be the subtext.

In this particular case, for instance, I think they think they'll fight to keep whoever the squatter is in the home for as long as possible. But even when the squatter's kicked out, "at least it sent a message."

The message, in this case, is "holy cripes. You got a house with no people in it and people with no house, and what's considered the crime? putting the 2 together."

What's been accomplished? This thread and every one like it on the interwebs, and of course whatever media coverage it got.

What's been accomplished, big picture? People are starting to get it. We spend a lot of time discussing the workings of the little pieces of yellow metal or green paper, when it's not the green paper or yellow metal that's happy or unhappy. We're doing it wrong.

How to fix that? They're not smart enough to all on their lonely, and maybe nobody is (though some of them may think they are.)

To me what they are is a tap on the shoulder to remind us that many of the things we don't like are the outgrowths of the system we say we do like. What that means is we need to take a long hard look at how to fix that system, or think about another one.

PFnV

17. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +159 / 20 / -17

Too me it is amazing that the same people who rip the teaparty are
    supporting a group of tresspassers who do not appear to have any
    more of a plan than the homeless guy collecting cans for his next
    bottle.

The Teaparty did not like the direction we were going in, so they
    decided to band together and run for office.

Isn't that how we change things in America ?

The left hates the tea party, because the teaparty wants less
    goverment and lower taxes.

How can you have a problem with people wanting to keep more of their own
    money?

That is why although I think OWS is run by a band of fools, I do agree with their
    initial gripe. I just do not think they have a clue on what to do.

The OWS supporters make Sarah Palin and Michell Bachman look as competent
    as Margret Thatcher.

The OWS couldn't be any less orgainzed. Their methods and followers
    have no more direction than any common vagabond.

Sure people talk about the OWS ..... People also talk about Sandusky, it
    does not mean he is getting our support.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +829 / 27 / -33

When you look at the structure or lack thereof of the OWS movement, a lot of stuff backfires....

What I see as the downfall, is that once they start then they will be a haven for homeless squatters or druggies who want to get out of the wind..

They also lose their visibility..

But without regard the banks need to work with folks to keep them in their homes...

19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +829 / 27 / -33

They did more than camp out, they got free rent in the brains of many of the right where they "camp out" with their obsession to undermine/denigrate them.....

They did do some protesting outside of people's homes, NYC comes to mind and when they move they seem to lose effectiveness...

20. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +829 / 27 / -33

That is a lie, they want to control many facets of your life, freedom of speech, freedom to marry whomever you want to marry, a women's right to choose etc. They also want to take away quite a few freedoms as well..

The Tea Party is not about less government, it is about perpetuating the agenda of the corporatists..