Pats67

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
As seen on KFFL:

March 12, 2006, 5:44PM
Givens' price may be too high for Texans

By JOHN McCLAIN
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Today was another busy day for the Texans, who lost their first unrestricted free agent, signed a restricted free agent to an offer sheet and spent most of the afternoon with New England receiver David Givens.

Givens, one of the prime free-agent prospects, wants $25 million over five years. That's out of the Texans' ballpark.

Givens, a Humble native, is headed to Nashville to visit with the Titans. If Tennessee comes closes to the $25-million demand, the Titans may get the four-year veteran.

The Texans were excited about the possibility of signing Givens and starting him opposite Andre Johnson. Late Saturday night, the Texans said Boston-based agent Brad Blank informed them that Givens was going to re-sign with New England.

This morning, Givens came to Houston as scheduled, told the Texans there had been some miscommunication and that he was definitely interested in returning to his hometown team.

Unfortunately for the Texans, Givens left Reliant Stadium without a contract. They still haven't given up on him, but the price is too high.

yeah, thats it David, go to the Titans. they definately have a bright future :singing:

BLank just cant keep his mouth shut...

Good info!

25 over 5 will be too much for Belioli also.

Maybe next, Blank can tell us when Givens uses the bathroom and how it so impressed the Dolphins that they upped the offer to 30 over 5. What a douche.

It takes me back to Friday night and the Cleveland thing. I suppose its possible it was a simple computer error that resulted in the 'Browns sign Givens' story - yet considering this news from Houston, how am I supposed to know the reporter didn't post the story as a result of the assurance of Chatty Brad Blank?

givens is worth 3 mil a year, tops...

His agent is a clown. I hope the Pats don't resign him just because of the tool of an agent Givens has.

PaulNEPats said:
His agent is a clown. I hope the Pats don't resign him just because of the tool of an agent Givens has.

If you are serious than you are a clown for posting this remark.

5 years $25M ? Pass.

25 mil 5 yrs - what categorie would that be?
I mean, is that "elite" money? Middle of the road?

CrazyDave said:
25 mil 5 yrs - what categorie would that be?
I mean, is that "elite" money? Middle of the road?

The average of the top ten receivers highest paid receivers in the NFL last year was $5.16 million. The average of the top five highest paid was $6.17 million.

Considering that Givens is a #2 wide receiver, and not even the best #2 wide receiver in the NFL, suffice to say that we probably should be giving him (or his agent) tests to find out what they have been smoking. Nobody is going to pay him $25 million over $5 years. He's just embarrassing himself.

Casserly is giving Givens a "smackdown" by leaking his contract demands to the local Houston beat writer.

Last edited:
I really think that Brad Blank is the author of these "miscommunications". After that whole story came out in the Cleveland website, isn't it interesting that it was Blank who came out with the computer hacker theory? If I was DG's agent, I would have been furious at the Browns, I wouldn't spend my time coming up with a conspiracy theory

That's what I thought. (thanks for the excellent info)
This Givens thing just gets weirder and weirder.
Personally, I've never thought he was anything special as a player, which to me, makes it that much stranger. I'm very confident that we can get comparible production for far less money. Of course, I have no idea from where.

PaulNEPats said:
Interesting attitude. We have an agent in Boston which gives us an advantage when it comes to working with him. We have the option of developing a relationship with a sports agent who probably is a patriots fan -which is too our advantage. He would probably drive down to Foxboro or meet in Boston over coffee to resolve a problem and you want to badmouth him. Get your act together and look at the big picture.

Phokus said:
givens is worth 3 mil a year, tops...

BAsed on what??

CrazyDave said:
That's what I thought. (thanks for the excellent info)
This Givens thing just gets weirder and weirder.
Personally, I've never thought he was anything special as a player, which to me, makes it that much stranger. I'm very confident that we can get comparible production for far less money. Of course, I have no idea from where.

well...the draft is seven rounds...I think maybe they can find a player to replace the 7th round pick Givens...it's not like they haven't shown the ability to do it....but all the nervous Nellies on this board will probably be dead from slit wrists well before the draft anyway....so just sit back and ENJOY the offseason....and TRY TO TRUST THE PROVEN SKILLS OF BILL BELICHICK AND SCOTT PIOLI

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes