PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The largest set of cunones in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcus

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
belong to Belichek and Pioli.

No other GM/coach tandem would ahve the guts to release, let go and or trade Viniateri, Mcginest, Givens and Branch

and get back as replacements Gostowski, Junior Seau, Reche Caldwell and Doug Gabriel

If it works out...BB/Pioli will ahve kept the Patriots competitive into the foreseeable future without rebuilding.

The risk is that in one of Tom Brady's "prime years" a wasted opportunity for another Super Bowl. Only time will tell
But they truly pay NO attention to fan sentiment

I think that they are just very business-like and refuse to cave thier business model in based on outside factors.

It may not be the size of their cahones, but rather the size of their breifcase.

If the Pats actually do win it all this year the Madison Ave types in the NFL offices will be jumping out windows because this organization is set up for many years to come.

The end of an era, with an error. :rocker: I'm going to take a dump now.

shmessy said:
If the Pats actually do win it all this year the Madison Ave types in the NFL offices will be jumping out windows because this organization is set up for many years to come.
Don't kid yourself, all too many of them are having the pigeon droppings cleaned off the ledges so their tasseled loafers won't stick. :eat3:

marcus said:

No other GM/coach tandem would ahve the guts to release, let go and or trade Viniateri, Mcginest, Givens and Branch

and get back as replacements Gostowski, Junior Seau, Reche Caldwell and Doug Gabriel

If it works out...BB/Pioli will ahve kept the Patriots competitive into the foreseeable future without rebuilding.

The risk is that in one of Tom Brady's "prime years" a wasted opportunity for another Super Bowl. Only time will tell

We hear that it is the end every year. People just don't get it. This team is much, much more than just one player. Due to injuries, they've played a lot of games over the past year or so without Bruschi, Harrison, Branch and even Seymour and they seem to remain as competitive as ever...

marcus said:

My take on the "wasting Brady's prime" idea is this:

Brady's most important skill so far has been his ability to take a group of less-then-elite receivers, spread the ball around, and turn out a top notch passing game. Any QB can throw for 4,000 yards if you give them a couple of star wideouts -- but not many can make the best out of what you give him, like Brady can.

Thus, overpaying a WR is the opposite of taking advantage of Brady's "prime." It's better to use the flexibility that Brady gives you to get extra cash and picks to spend on your defense -- that would be making the most of what Brady can do.

Infinsible said:
The end of an era, with an error. :rocker: I'm going to take a dump now.

That's not a dump you smell, that's the Dolphins season steaming up.

I'm not so sure that this move took the gnads that many people are thinking. I have a funny feeling that one of Jackson or Gabrielle, maybe even both, has shown enough that NE feels that the risk isn't as large as it would appear now.

Last edited:
I don't know about cujones (ok quit laughing) but you have to admire that BB and Pioli stick to their plan and aren't swayed by football pundits or bad press or nasty agents. They WILL DO WHAT THEY THINK IS IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE TEAM.

They might be wrong but then again they might be right. I just think they deserve the benfit of the doubt given what they've accomplished.

I disagree that they are insensitive to fan temperament. This fan wants them to keep on doing whatever it is they think best and I'm fine with that. Once we lose Woody, Lawyer, Big Ted, Ty, David, Adam and Willie and now Branch we will be done for. Ho Hum, we overcome adversity every year and coming up with little fast guys is a lot easier than coming up with cover corners and middle linebackers.

As Steve Spurrier would say, they'll just have to coach em up.

I see a rising light on the horizon.

Oswlek said:
I'm not so sure that this move took the gnads that many people are thinking. I have a funny feeling that one of Jackson or Gabrielle, maybe even both, has shown enough that NE feels that the risk isn't as large as it would appear now.

Dude... is Cojones... if youre going to correct one make it right. Cajones means big boxes in spanish in some countries... Cojones is what youre trying to say... I know, my native language is spanish.

I believe we'll do fine with our new WRs once theyre up to speed.

maxhagen said:
Dude... is Cojones... if youre going to correct one make it right. Cajones means big boxes in spanish in some countries... Cojones is what youre trying to say... I know, my native language is spanish.

I believe we'll do fine with our new WRs once theyre up to speed.

I had already deleted it.

Hoodie said:
They might be wrong but then again they might be right. I just think they deserve the benfit of the doubt given what they've accomplished.
I agree they deserve the benefit of the doubt. You can't name a single player they've let go that really came back to bite 'em.

Pat_Nasty said:
My take on the "wasting Brady's prime" idea is this:

Brady's most important skill so far has been his ability to take a group of less-then-elite receivers, spread the ball around, and turn out a top notch passing game. Any QB can throw for 4,000 yards if you give them a couple of star wideouts -- but not many can make the best out of what you give him, like Brady can.

Thus, overpaying a WR is the opposite of taking advantage of Brady's "prime." It's better to use the flexibility that Brady gives you to get extra cash and picks to spend on your defense -- that would be making the most of what Brady can do.

nice take, I hadn't thought about it that way... I'd still rather have a solid WR though

Oswlek said:

A very good and valid point! One that I agree with.

Talk about Cajones, not sure if you heard the 3 PM press conference, but BB said he did not know what draft pick the Pats got for DB... he loves to play with the press and they are usually so dumb they are easy pickings.

I saw some of BBs press conference and you could tell that trading Branch was not his first choice....it was forced on him by Branch and his agent. BB said "we did everything we could and it just did not work out" His body language and his facial expression said much more then his words.

My take on this is that BB and Pioli did everything short of tearing up their managment plan to get Branch to resign and Branch just did not want any part of it.

I have my thoughts on why Branch did not want any longer to be a Patriot but that is for some other post in the future.

BB, as usual, has made the best of a bad situation and in the long term the team will be better off.

For sure Branch is worth more today then he would be after sitting for ten weeks and then being not active for the rest of the season and that is what we were looking at.

We will take the trade and move on .....at last it is over.

marcus said:

Hmm...that sounds a lot like mikey and his constant, "The Colts know what they are doing giving their offensive players major contracts!"

Belichick does it again! A #1 for a guy who was and is #2 value. Thats why they are the best organization in football. They think long term. And I suspect they will pick up another veteran WR along the way this year.

this is almost as good as the Bledsoe trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back