PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Koolaid is tasting a little stale....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The original poster should know that one should post things like this at their own peril. Post anything negative about the team, owner, coach, quarterback, Jonathan City down there on Route 1, and you're labeled a Jets fan...
Back to the original post...I agree with just about everything. I've been a fan of the team since the early/mid 80s and I've sat through the metal benches, pouring rain, driving snow, electrical storms - what have you - as a former season ticket holder for about 18 years or so.
Considering my family and I have made quite a financial contribution to Krafty Bob and his enterprise down there on Route 1 in Foxboro, I feel I have the right to be critical of the team, the owner, and the players - even moreso than some of the teenage fanboys that started liking the team when Brady started posting good fantasy numbers.
When the team CONSISTENTLY TRADES DOWN to get value you get junk, broken down players who aren't that good. These players are available in the third and fourth rounds for a reason - because they're not that good. A point that's been sorely missed in this discussion is that in today's NFL, where a db can barely breath on a receiver, it's next to impossible to succeed with guys like Philip Adams and Alex Molden trying to cover guys. Earthwind Moreland, Randall Gay, Hank Poteat, et al., could get by on physicallity - but the NFL doesn't allow that anymore. Who knows, maybe Belichick would have this team in a few more Super Bowls if the league didn't change or enforce the rules differently (thanks Polian/Manning).
In ten years, people are going to look back at the last 3 or 4 drafts and their jaws will drop when they examine how poorly the defensive side of the ball has been drafted.
It's a crying shame because Tom Brady should have at least one more Super Bowl under his belt, but because Belichick and his Krafty boss have chosen to build a defense with pennies, not dollars, we have a team that CANNOT WIN unless Brady has a good game. In the "old days" the Patriots could win a game 14-10 with Brady throwing for 140 yards, but not anymore....it's just a damn shame, and the fanboys who're in denial really need to examine things more closely....:mad:

Last edited:
No..... Not at all. I'm speaking directly to you...... You post nothing but negative stuff, so people take your negative posts for granted and give them less weight.

As to the OP. The point remains.

if the Kool-aid tastes a little stale after a tough road loss to one of the best teams in the AFC, then perhaps you do need to move on to one of the "trendy" teams where the Kool aid is fresher.

I have some issues with the way this team is playing, but losing to Pittsburgh (who is an upper their NFL team) is hardly enough to make one stop drinking the Kool Aid. If it is, perhaps you expect too much.

True fans drink the Kool Aid EVERYDAY, even when some days it's not as delicious as others.

First of all this "you post nothing but negative stuff" comment isn't true. Second of all, I love how you can pinpoint how I am as a fan just by what I post in a goddamned message board. Some mystical powers you have there.

Maybe I should be posting here about how it was awesome that we didn't give up any kickoff returns for touchdowns, or how not every Steelers possession ended on a TD (because that's about all the positive you can take from yesterday's game). However, I prefer to have actual discussions about the team and it's shortcomings, because I'm not a Bill Belichick bobblehead, nodding in agreement with every move he makes.

In my opinion those who drink the kool aid every day are the ones who ultimately don't care enough about the team to be bothered by the prospect of another failed season. If you think it's alright to lose to Pittsburgh because they are a good team, I've got some news to tell you: you can't win the SuperBowl without beating good teams.

Maybe I'm spoiled as a fan, but all I'm seeing in 2011 is a team that exacerbates the few weaknesses they had in 2010 (weaknesses that, ultimately, led to a premature playoff exit). It's infuriating to see those same failed aspects of the team's play being repeated over and over again, even in victory. I worry not for next week or the next month, but for our chances of winning another title. I don't want to be like Jets fans, jumping up in joy for reaching the AFC Title game. The 2010 season was entertaining, but ended in disappointment. Maybe that's enough for some, but I always want the best for this team, because I know they can achieve greatness if they overcome some of their faults.

There will always be koola-aid drinkers on this board.Belichick has lost his fastball when it comes to defense.His moves are a joke!!!This is an embarrasing defense,It has been an issue for the last 2 years and its still the same.

I've been waiting for this thread for awhile... and it's a good one that hopefully will lead to additional threads where we "fans" postulate our possible solutions to the present team inadequacies. I for one would like to see this team get some cornerbacks that actually turn their heads around once in awhile. And wouldn't it be nice to see a middle linebacker or safety be in the right position to stop that wide open crossing pattern in the middle of the field. There are enough knowledgeable Patsfans contributors that ought to be able to help a non-football expert like me understand the ins and outs of coaching, rather than the ever so quick descent into petty bickering, insults, and questions of parenthood.

I think the Kraft's and BB have done a GREAT job. This is a much more pleasant team to follow than in the 70's, 80's and 90's (although Raymond Berry's team was great to watch - especially stripping the ball). Would I like to win the SB every year... you bet. But I sure enjoy KNOWING that this team is going to be in the thick of things year-in year-out.

So let's cut posters a little slack, enjoy the comments, and have some discussions that help us all understand what possible solutions might look like.

There are no elite teams other than Green Bay. How does that help the discussion?

It's my opinion. I'm sorry that you don't find it helpful. And you're right about GB. I watched the Falcons game and when they turn it on it's scary.

No elite teams.Thats all i hear from kool-aid fans after this team was whipped on both sides of the ball.All i know is that this team cant stop nobody and the offense has no wrs!!!They are a fluky 5-2 team.Its beyond the record.

No elite teams.Thats all i hear from kool-aid fans after this team was whipped on both sides of the ball.All i know is that this team cant stop nobody and the offense has no wrs!!!They are a fluky 5-2 team.Its beyond the record.

I would add out coached as well.

I suggest you find a better team to root for.

Here we go....the rose colored glass wearing, footy Patriots pajama donning HOMERS have now been represented. Get realistic Miguel....Pats have alot of issues right now....

I don't guzzle the Kool Aid in good times or spit it out in bad times. As far as I'm concerned and until they demonstrate otherwise, the Pats are still on track for the 12--4 season I predicted before opening day, assuming that they craft a response to the new "man up" defense that every team will now duplicate when playing the Pats. I just don't see the Bills or Jets winning the division and 12--4 or even 11--5 will get that done.

As for the "Playoffs!," how well they do there will be a function of whether they can put together a defense that learns to play together at a superior level by the end of the season.

As for yesterday's performance, yeah, the D could have been better, but they kept Big Ben from the end zone several times in the red zone and 27 points, including two on a dubious, last minute safety, isn't really all that bad when you're playing a very good QB who is having a career day. And, we have to credit a very well-designed defensive scheme on the other side of the ball.

This whole "go root for another team, then" argument is childish and adds nothing to a conversation. It's basically the "you criticize, and thus, you are wrong" argument, condensed in an immature sentence.

The fact that that sentiment was from a "moderator" of a fan forum is mind-blowing and just plain laughable.

After just 15 minutes of football yesterday, it became crystal clear how lacking in talent the Patriots are. The secondary was INEPT. The WR limitations had never been so apparent. The fact that Faulk was so depended upon makes me fear the future of Woodhead and the rookie RBs. The historical regression of all the DBs over the past fews years. This team has a coaching problem, a player evaluation problem, and a roster problem.

I've had none of the kool-aid........

this is still a good football team..........but given teh resources available to the team such as draft picks and sound cap management, it baffles the mind that this organization and staff would produce the worst defense in the NFL

^^^^^^ This +1

I am tickled pink this team is one of the better ones in the league. But, as you say, given a good cap position along with a plethora of draft picks at their disposal, not to mention having perhaps the GOAT QB at the helm in a pass happy league and a highly decorated defensive minded HC, this team should not only not have a horrid defense but they should be midway through their 2nd dynasty run.

That they aren't is the disappointing part for me.

I suggest you find a better team to root for.
The term "drink the koolaid" came from the Jonestown massacre. Jim Jones the Cult learder asked his followers to "drink the koolaid". There are some on here (you included) that just seem to blindly drink the koolaid. Its becoming apparent that there is a Cult of "in BB we trust" No matter what happens he can do no wrong, hes infallible. Even in the face of the obvious. (You can't thow a bucnh of jags or sub jags out there and expect them to be able to stop a very good team) He built this team, he Chose the players, who to draft, who to sign as FA's, and who to cut.

BB is still the best coach in the NFL, and in the top Three all time, but his career as a GM is sorley lacking.

Last edited:
but his career as a GM is sorley lacking.
His career as a GM rebuilding the defense since 2006 is sorely lacking to date. However, a great defensive draft in 2012 could turn the defense around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back