Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Kneel Down

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by Bravo777, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bravo777

Bravo777 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Hello people, I was browsing ESPN Boston today and I saw a little blurb the Bucs and the kneel down play vs. the Giants last season. Considering since we play the Bucs this year, what do you guys think about blitzing on that play? Do you guys this is it a 'cheap' shot? What do you think we'll do differently when we play them?

For those who don't remember: NFL sides with Buccaneers on kneel-down controversy | ProFootballTalk Yes, I know it's from Pro Football Talk and I apologize for that.
  2. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +180 / 4 / -5

Well, I'd think it's far more likely that the Pats will be taking a knee. . . .
  3. Bravo777

Bravo777 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Ah, sorry. I meant what do you think we would do differently when we are taking a kneel.
  4. chasa

chasa Rookie

Ratings:
    +145 / 3 / -0

#87 Jersey

First off "is it cheating?" no its not

Secondly the excuse "we play to the final whistle" is bull****, the bucs took a knee the week before this happened, and their defense took parts of some games off from the looks of it.

I think they are trying to set a tone, but are inconsistent about it. it came off as low brow and cheap.
  5. Avenger

Avenger Rookie

Ratings:
    +77 / 4 / -1

#11 Jersey

Taking a knee gives you the best chance at winning, rushing the kneeldown gives you the only chance at winning. I have no problem with either action.
  6. fnordcircle

fnordcircle ( o Y o ) PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +176 / 5 / -12

Taking a knee is a sportsmanship move. You could send in some RB, toss the ball back to him and have him run around all silly like for as long as possible before curling up in a fetal position.

But teams don't because it just adds risk of injury.

I don't mind the Bucs taking a knee, per se, but if you blitz on that play then their coach has to understand that he's giving up the right to ***** about running up the score for forever and that everyone he ever coaches, likewise, will not be able to ***** about running up the score as long as he is their head coach because, invariably, someone will bring up the blitz on the kneel down.
  7. letekro

letekro Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 2 / -3

Um..taking a knee is NOT a "sportsmanship move". It's a way of running a play without risk of turnover. Your fetal position play doesn't accomplish that.
  8. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0

The Bucs were a mess under Rahim Morris, with absolutely zero discipline on the field and in the locker room. Morris went too far in attempting to motivate by being a rah-rah guy and everybody's buddy; when Schiano was hired he had a directive from management to gut the previous lackadaisical attitude and get things back under control.

Recently Schiano said he may have gone a bit further than was necessary, but you can always ease up a little; it's almost impossible to come in do the opposite and enter with a laid back attitude, and then get tougher.

As far as concerns about Tampa Bay taking cheap shots on the Pats, that never entered my mind and I wouldn't worry about it. Don't forget that Schiano and Belichick are good friends.

A gentler Schiano in second season with Bucs? | Tampa Bay Times
    “We had one big thing we had to do. We had to establish a culture in the building,’’ Schiano said. “Sometimes, you have to go overboard one way or another to get that culture established. But I think at this point, our football team understands who I am and how our football program is going to be run. I think that happened as the season went on.’’​
  9. Kjmass1

Kjmass1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have no problem with it. The offense uses it to their advantage all the time with fake kneel downs/spikes, and as long as it is possible to win the game I say go for it.
  10. voluntarysaftey

voluntarysaftey Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 3 / -0

Yes I think the bucs blitzing was a cheap move.

I also think when the pats do a fake spike, that's also a cheap move -- You're telling the defense not to rush you cause you're going to spike it, and then you run a play to take advantage that they've eased up on you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.