PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The King vs. Diet Pepsi Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-ShirtDynasty

Reaction score
King vs. Machine
It had to be asked: Who has the better pro career ahead of him -- The Burger King (most recently seen dousing Don Shula)? Or Diet Pepsi Machine (most recently seen still embarrassing the Pats)?

Key skills
King: INTs, TD dances
Machine: Pass-catching

Previous experience
King: Fast-food franchises
Machine: Convenience stores

"Poor man's" comparison
King: Deion Sanders
Machine: Jerome Bettis

"Legitimizing" endorsement
King: Don Shula
Machine: Suzy Kolber

Overall vibe
King: Still a little creepy
Machine: Anthropomorphism?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/quickie

You nailed the way I feel every time I see the Diet Pepsi Machine commericial - embarrassed.

And, to thing that they have made two of them now. After the first one, the producers might hve said " this is stupid- we made a mistake".

I do like the Visa commercials.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
King vs. Machine
It had to be asked: Who has the better pro career ahead of him -- The Burger King (most recently seen dousing Don Shula)? Or Diet Pepsi Machine (most recently seen still embarrassing the Pats)?
Is that dousing Shula or douching?

The Pepsi machine commercials are just plain stupid. Embarrassing is right.

While the King commercials are no gems, I do just laugh everytime I see his facial expression.

PATSNUTme said:
Peyton's commercials are better.

PATSNUTme said:
You nailed the way I feel every time I see the Diet Pepsi Machine commericial - embarrassed.

And, to thing that they have made two of them now. After the first one, the producers might hve said " this is stupid- we made a mistake".

Deion and Rodney and Willie made a few bucks (remember the Troy Brown re-signing, being a World Champion Patriot has perks to keep low cost players interested :) ), I'm happy for them (and eager to see them embarrass themselves a lot being Patriots). It's silly but, it doesn't embarrass me, guess I'm used to my family doing silly things - I've been inoculated. :snob:

- Don't forget Rich Eisen also endorsed the machine and Shula's endorsement is old footage melded with the King character - I always despised Woody Allen movies and the king is just a ripoff of Woody. :bricks:

T-ShirtDynasty said:
King vs. Machine

Key skills
King: INTs, TD dances
Machine: Pass-catching

Previous experience
King: Fast-food franchises
Machine: Convenience stores

"Poor man's" comparison
King: Deion Sanders
Machine: Jerome Bettis

"Legitimizing" endorsement
King: Don Shula
Machine: Suzy Kolber

Overall vibe
King: Still a little creepy
Machine: Anthropomorphism?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/quickie

I'm still waiting for the ultimate comeback..... Ronald McDonald comes from out of nowwhere to nail Burger King before his touchdown! :rocker: :rocker:

Last edited by a moderator:
AStack75 said:
Peyton's commercials are better.

Unbiased an ojective opinion is that Peyton's commercials are unfunny, stupid, and suck big time. I would say the same thing if Brady was doing them.

PatsChick87 said:
I'm still waiting for the ultimate comeback..... Ronald McDonald comes from out of nowwhere to nail Burger King before his touchdown! :rocker: :rocker:
:nono: Speedy, from the Alka Seltzer commercials would be more appropriate for a slider king.

PATSNUTme said:
Unbiased an ojective opinion is that Peyton's commercials are unfunny, stupid, and suck big time. I would say the same thing if Brady was doing them.
The sweet thing about Peyton's commercials, they can be used in the games against him by the defense. It also shows him up as a 'me' man and Tommy as the 'team' man.

An aside, isn't interesting that McNabb's soup commercials started bringing in fellow Eagles about the time Tommy's national spots showed up with some of his team mates....Donovan may be a choke artist, but you have to admire his committment to his fellow players.

veiled reference

PatsChick87 said:

Just have the clown tackle someone resembling the king from behind then getting up and celebrating into the cameras. We can only hope! What is funnier than the bud/miller bad taste ads?

Box_O_Rocks said:
The sweet thing about Peyton's commercials, they can be used in the games against him by the defense. It also shows him up as a 'me' man and Tommy as the 'team' man.

An aside, isn't interesting that McNabb's soup commercials started bringing in fellow Eagles about the time Tommy's national spots showed up with some of his team mates....Donovan may be a choke artist, but you have to admire his committment to his fellow players.
Very interesting point. The Visa 5 layers of protection commercial....the whole offensive line got to shine, it was sweet. You never see offensive lineman in a commercial. Until Brady, of course.

As for Peyton's commercials, they are clever, but whenever I see him, the bile comes up in my throat and prevents any enjoyment whatsoever. I also just can't shake the feeling (and I KNOW it's not supposed to be the point of the commercial, but a feeling is a feeling) that the Peyton commercials ultimately make fans feel stupid for knowing that's what they look like getting trying to cheer their team on or get an autograph. It feels very mocking to me, and yeah, it would feel that way if Brady was doing it too. That's why I'm glad he's not.

Last edited:
PatsChick87 said:

Rosenhaus represents him and recently stated that Ron is nursing a bad hammy.
(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

The "King" seriously creeps me out. Why didn't they do a real guy in a king get-up instead of that bizarre oversized mask? It looks like something from a grade-B horror film. I haven't eaten at Burger King since.

Bella*chick said:
Very interesting point. The Visa 5 layers of protection commercial....the whole offensive line got to shine, it was sweet. You never see offensive lineman in a commercial. Until Brady, of course.

As for Peyton's commercials, they are clever, but whenever I see him, the bile comes up in my throat and prevents any enjoyment whatsoever. I also just can't shake the feeling (and I KNOW it's not supposed to be the point of the commercial, but a feeling is a feeling) that the Peyton commercials ultimately make fans feel stupid for knowing that's what they look like getting trying to cheer their team on or get an autograph. It feels very mocking to me, and yeah, it would feel that way if Brady was doing it too. That's why I'm glad he's not.
Yes, his caricature of the fans is denigrating - you can't help but think he is mocking his fans....

Marino had supposedly had his linemen in the glove commercial he made, but all you see are a bunch of gloved hands with the camera shot centered on Danny. Tommy is just one of the guys in the shot and only briefly the focal point - and he's still off center more often them not. I'm pleased to see linemen showing up in commercials, David Akers popping up is another fun shot, now AV, Miller, and Dougie need to do a 'Nut's dirty word' commercial together comparing kicking skills. :D

shmessy said:
Rosenhaus represents him and recently stated that Ron is nursing a bad hammy.
(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Rosenhaus = "send in the clowns" !!!!

Box_O_Rocks said:
Marino had supposedly had his linemen in the glove commercial he made, but all you see are a bunch of gloved hands with the camera shot centered on Danny. Tommy is just one of the guys in the shot and only briefly the focal point - and he's still off center more often them not.
Oh, really? I didn't know that. I remember a few Marino commercials from back in the day, but mostly what I remember about them is my dad saying, "I hate that jerk" every time they came on. :p

Tom is the center of many shots in the first commercial, but he has very few lines. I like how they made sure everyone got a line, and in Hochstein's case, a line that cracks me up every time. In the second commercial, Tom is barely in it, and has no lines at all. It's really all about the linemen, and it's totally awesome.:cool:

Bella*chick said:
Oh, really? I didn't know that. I remember a few Marino commercials from back in the day, but mostly what I remember about them is my dad saying, "I hate that jerk" every time they came on. :p

Tom is the center of many shots in the first commercial, but he has very few lines. I like how they made sure everyone got a line, and in Hochstein's case, a line that cracks me up every time. In the second commercial, Tom is barely in it, and has no lines at all. It's really all about the linemen, and it's totally awesome.:cool:
Your Dad sounds cool! :D

Tommy is the focal point, but the shot isn't truly centered on him even with him in the center, it kind of looks up at him to enhance the towering affect of the big beauties surrounding him. Your aware of him, but your eyes are drawn to the intimidating presence....awsome! The second one is the best, Russ has the greatest lines in both commercials - I love how he asks why he can't be the director and continues munching, just a big curious kid! Hi there...:woohoo:

BOR even gives good breakdowns of commercials with Brady in them.

A commercial with the King and Ronald in it would give me nightmares. Man, the King is creepy, but Ronald McDonald is the scariest mascot of all time.

More to come???

PATSNUTme said:

I saw a n interview with Brady who said he instigated the advertisers to send some money to the O-linemen by hiring them for the ad. He also said that much of the dialogue was developd by Light in spontameous improvisation over a day's worth of retakes. I wonder why since there is so many outakes that they haven't spliced together a couple of other commercials out of the filming...

PATSNUTme said:
Oh, I didn't write that line, just highlighted it in the original blurb. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back