Welcome to PatsFans.com

The key to trading out of the first round...

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by yopats, Apr 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yopats

yopats Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am of the opinion that BB isnt to impressed with this draft and would love to trade out. But in order for that to happen two guys have to fall to them.
    1. Stephen Hill Wr GT - if he falls expect the pats to take a 2013 1st round pick from a team in the high 30's or early 40's and scoop up there 2nd and have a shot at a top 10 pick next year. Dream scenario is Buffalo moving up and owning there #43 and 2013 #1

2. Colby Fleener Te SU - Same scenario a player that will drive demand and net us a grest 2013 1st round pick and a solid #2 this year. Think KC or DA or Carolina

Demand has to be there...I think Fleener will be there at 31 ..would be suprised about Hill
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +254 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

My total guess is we'll trade #31 to the Cowboys for their #3 and 2013 #1 so they can take Janoris Jenkins. I think Jerry would love to get the "top ten talent" at the end of the round after already using their mid #1.

Just a guess though.
  3. FredFromDartmouth

FredFromDartmouth Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 5 / -0

This seems reasonable. I am pretty sure that BB wants to trade down with at least one of the first round picks and is hoping that some flashy player still available at 27 will tempt another team. And yes I could see JJ going after Jenkins...if Jenkins gets past the Bengals.
  4. Thirdbasekid24

Thirdbasekid24 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If someone is gonna trade back up for Hill I like Jacksonville at that 31 slot. They need some more play makers for Gabbert and depending on how the board shakes out they may need to leap the vikings and browns for him. With Buffalo's schedule I'm not so sure they don't make the playoffs as a wild card next season.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  5. Marqui

Marqui Rookie

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -1

He actually said something like that?
  6. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +200 / 2 / -0

Nobody is going to trade a high 2012 2nd and a 2013 1st for 27. He's only going to get a 2012 2nd and 2013 1st if the team is good and projects to remain good, like the Saints. The "1st for a 1st and a 2nd" strategy doesn't work with bad teams.
  7. yopats

yopats Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

8. yopats

yopats Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Brother Sciz - The main point Im trying to make is there is always a couple of players that slip that will demand more in return.

Also there are more teams that think they have a chance then in years past hence Car, Buf, Chi, Sea, etc..
  9. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +207 / 16 / -38

#50 Jersey

The Pats made it clear they weren't going to add a tight end by signing Daniel Fells to a very decent 3 year deal.

I could see the Pats taking Hill if they felt he was the best value and would be able to help out on special teams as well. Otherwise, there really isn't room for a rookie WR on this team. Not when you have Welker, Lloyd and Johnson as guaranteed receivers on the depth chart and Branch, Gonzalez, Stallworth, and Underwood fighting for one (maybe 2) spots.

I actually think that this draft is good in the areas that the Patriots have needs. Which is the D-line, CB, and OLB. Whether or not the Pats feel the same is something we'll never actually know.

But of note. When BB has had 2 picks in the 1st round, he's never traded them both. And he's only traded out of the 1st round once.
  10. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +207 / 16 / -38

#50 Jersey

Well, just remember that Mike Reiss also felt that BB was certain to draft Jon Beason a few years ago.

I love Mike Reiss when it comes to his actual reporting, but when it comes to analyzing things and coming to a conclusion about the Patriots and the draft, I can't remember a time that Mike was actually even remotely correct.
  11. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes Rookie

Ratings:
    +110 / 12 / -8

Are they also stupid and desperate?;)
  12. Avenger

Avenger Rookie

Ratings:
    +77 / 4 / -1

#11 Jersey

I think he is talking about Hill and Fleener falling so that a team would trade into 27 or 31 for them.
  13. Metaphors

Metaphors Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

You need both supply and demand on your side. There are a boatload of WRs in this draft class and Fleener is pretty much just another one.

The best position for a trade-up that I can see is at OT. If either Adams or Martin make it to #27, I can see a team looking to trade up since the dropoff will be quick and significant.

The ideal scenario looks to be Atlanta. They need an OT upgrade, they came up short after going all in last year, pressure is building for them to win a playoff game and they likely believe they are a player or two away from a deep run. The trade (#27 for #55+2012 1st) is the same as the NO trade last year.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  14. vafides

vafides Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

do the falcons even have a draft pick to trade us? they gave up alot for Julio Jones
  15. Thirdbasekid24

Thirdbasekid24 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They have pick #55 in the 2nd. I think the trade was a 1,2,4 last year and a 1,4 this year
  16. Badger

Badger Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You Know It's Coming

Here we are again. Draft day morning and everyone is talking about how BB is going to select 2 defensive players and a pass rusher and a safety in the 1st round. Deep inside though everyone knows it isn't happening, if you know BB. Last year I predicted a trade of one of the 1st rounders and the selection of Solder (look it up if you don't believe me) just because BB never does what everyone expects him to do. This year, with the lack of picks later in the draft, I predict he deals the earlier of the #1 picks for a #1 next year and a late rounder and then takes another offensive lineman as best available player with the late 1st rounder. My prediction is one of the 2 Wisconsin lineman, Zeitler or Konz. He will be a wheeler and dealer tomorrow as well and pile up some more picks. These Pats drafts frustrate me every year and I always end up yelling at the TV but you have to think outside the box when you are predicting the BB draft moves.
  17. Badger

Badger Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: You Know It's Coming

Zeitler will be the pick.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.