PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Key to the Offensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unoriginal has done the most thorough line play analysis I've read, and I don't recall him being too negative about Kaczur either.

Much of my written analysis was pitched against the viewpoint that "our tackles are the cause of all our problems cause they seem to give up the most sacks." You're right, I never singled out Kaczur as a detriment or easy upgrade on the line, but I would also allow, for the period (2nd half of 2007) I was closely evaluating pass blocking, Kaczur was probably the weakest of our starting linemen. However, if you believe the following:

I think the key to the offensive line this year will be whether O'Callaghan or Vollmer can beat out Kaczur. He just doesn't have quick enough feet to play OT, and that weakness is magnified whenever Neal (or Graham) isn't playing next to him.

... then I don't know why you'd hope O'Callaghan would beat out Kaczur on the basis of quick feet. I'm relatively confident Ryan "man mountain" O'Callaghan has the stiffest technique of all the offensive tackles on the roster. In the week 17 game against the Giants Strahan did a simple inside club move that dropped O'Callaghan to a knee. He toppled over like a tree.

Of course, a couple more years in the training room may have improved O'Callaghan (despite the injuries) — but Kaczur has seemingly improved markedly as well.

Perhaps it was injury related, I still consider Kaczur a better pass blocker than O'C.

Yes.

Last edited:
Thanks. I tend to agree but think that Cassel's maturity combined with Neal's return to mke things improve.
Absolutely, Cassel was developing nicely and getting a stronger performance out of his RG did nothing but help.

Thanks to unoriginal for chiming in: Kaczur may be the worst of the starters as a pass blocker, but he's really not much of a downgrade from Light - I still think his greatest issue was relearning his right from his left in terms of instinctive play, I thought he looked much smoother last season compared to previous seasons, which was about right for the 2,000 repetitions my unarmed combat instructor claimed was needed for making strikes and counters truly automatic.

Light and LeVoir are adequate starters at both LT and RT and should easily make the team. Vollmer is a highly rated drafted OL prospect. I don't see O'Callaghan beating out Kaczur and Britt for the 4th OT roster spot.

O'Cal's inability to beat out Britt was due to injury, though - not his play. When healthy, the drop off from O'Cal to Kaczur is nominal - and thats no knock on Kaczur - just look at Week 17 of 07 when he stepped in versus the Giants and the offense didn't miss a beat.

If healthy, I consider O'Cal an adequate starting RT, which is why I expect him to make the squad...if healthy.

The other thing worthy of note regarding Kaczur is that the guy was seemingly battling a pain killer problem - plus fighting whatever pain caused it in the first place. Essentially, his play in 2007, which looked pretty good to begin with, might've been on the low-side of his ceiling given the circumstances.

As for 2008, the entire O-line was a different story once Neal came back, and the high sack # had a lot to do with Cassel's inexperience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye