PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The June 1st MYTH:

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Every year we read about all these cuts that are coming after June 1st, but guys, the fact of the matter is, it's been YEARS since that date has actually resulted in quality (or even semi-quality) veteran FA's. And with the new CBA - and resulting higher cap-ceiling - it's really, REALLY irrelevant now.

So just be aware that June 1st means even less now than it has since the FA Era began, and that those vet LB's you're hoping to have fall into the Patriots' lap at that point are just as likely to be available now. There's no true magic date anymore. If we get a guy, we get a guy. "June 1st cuts" are not worth your breath or considerable brain-power.

I brought this up in another thread saying that it was UNLIKELY there were be any June 1st cuts and I got lambasted by one poster for saying so.

This year, its very unlikely that there will be any June 1st cuts unless a club and player have just decided that they are going to part ways. But, with most clubs at LEAST 5 million under the cap (I think there are only 4-5 teams that have less than 5 million in cap space with the Titans having the least amount) there is no reason to cut a player before training camp this year.

I tend to agree, although while wholesale dumping is much on the increase, there still seems to be some vets that are available a bit after the draft to before training camp.
The June 1st date is not a magic, but after mini-camps when the rooks are evaluated, some vets are more or less squeezed out of a program...maybe less so by money now, but nonetheless, it does happen. We shall see what happnes, but raining free agents of worth?? Not at all as in the past. I agree.

Agree. I think those waiting for June 1 cuts are going to be very bummed.

So

Who gives a ruddy damn about June 1st cuts?

Its Phase III T-R-A-D-E time...

DaBruinz said:
I brought this up in another thread saying that it was UNLIKELY there were be any June 1st cuts and I got lambasted by one poster for saying so.

I got your back DaBruinz... backed you up then and I'll back you up now...

This year of all years there's less pressure to make those June 1st cuts - and I'd seriously question the value of those that are axed - not that NO ONE will be available, but there will be more competition for the quality cuts, just like the supply and demand issues you'll see for the remaining FAs once camps start and injuries take place

June 1st cuts, assuming they're not traded first:

Steve McNair
Joe Harrington

That ought to pretty much be it.

I can't believe you got blasted DaBruinz for saying what I thought was pretty well established fact.

Absolutely correct. June 1st is a much ado about nothing for the past few years, and that should go double for this year, given teams' cap statuses across the NFL.

dryheat44 said:
June 1st cuts, assuming they're not traded first:

Steve McNair
Joe Harrington
Tehcnically speking, these aren't "June 1" cuts.

Players cut after June 1 can defer accelerated signing bonus to next year. Rather than cut a player before June 1 and have ALL the accelrated bonus hit, the outyears portion can be delayed until next year.

Harrington and McNair have huge roster bonuses. The timing of their cuts is determined not by the league's June 1 date, but by the date of their bonuses.

Both players should have been cut long ago. Teams with good front offices, who are sympathetic to players, will release players early so that they can catch on with other teams. Detroit in particular seems to be being pretty petty over releasing Harrington.

spacecrime said:
Tehcnically speking, these aren't "June 1" cuts.

Players cut after June 1 can defer accelerated signing bonus to next year. Rather than cut a player before June 1 and have ALL the accelrated bonus hit, the outyears portion can be delayed until next year.

Harrington and McNair have huge roster bonuses. The timing of their cuts is determined not by the league's June 1 date, but by the date of their bonuses.

Both players should have been cut long ago. Teams with good front offices, who are sympathetic to players, will release players early so that they can catch on with other teams. Detroit in particular seems to be being pretty petty over releasing Harrington.

Correct. I think Harrington's is July 3 in fact. I don't know when McNair's is up. I only meant that they would be the only name free agents likely to be available this Spring.

I wouldn't call Detroit petty. They're trying to trade him. Harrington is holding things up because he's said he doesn't want to play for Denver or Cleveland, both of whom were offering much better draft picks than Miami. If I'm Detroit, and Harrington is hamstringing my efforts to trade him, I don't owe him anything.

dryheat44 said:
Correct. I think Harrington's is July 3 in fact. ....
I wouldn't call Detroit petty. They're trying to trade him. Harrington is holding things up because he's said he doesn't want to play for Denver or Cleveland, both of whom were offering much better draft picks than Miami. If I'm Detroit, and Harrington is hamstringing my efforts to trade him, I don't owe him anything.

If i'm Detroit, and ... I'VE PAID HIM ALL THAT FIRST-ROUND MONEY FOR NOTHING ...
i don't owe him anything.

flutie2phelan said:
If i'm Detroit, and ... I'VE PAID HIM ALL THAT FIRST-ROUND MONEY FOR NOTHING ...
i don't owe him anything.

Ahhh, yes, a very succinct reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back