PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The jump from rookie year to second year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, those players are all busts. I saw the all Pro voting and I'm sure we've already wasted enough time on them.

We've got some sure things in this draft, and if we hurry we can sign some can't miss expensive free agents to go with them.

This is the worst off season ever so far, we need to get on the ball!

You forgot to wrap it all up with the declaration that we'll be lucky to go 9-7 next year, but otherwise totally spot-on.

Except Belichick would disagree with you. He's said multiple times that the 1st-2nd year jump is the biggest to expect over a players career.

I have read where he labels that jump "significant" but not "biggest." Do you have a reference?

The third or fourth year is the sweet spot. Bruschi didn't turn into a ballhawk until his fourth year if I remember correctly.

I see you didn't bother to read the article:
Not exactly one of those rehearsed "saying the right thing" quotes you claim is all they ever say.
I want the team to feel like a team. I’m not saying any names, but I feel like guys didn’t always come together. Some guys, when we did come together, I thought we played helluva ball. That’s the third goal -- you saw half the guys ready, and the other half ... we need that team chemistry.
How many times do we hear "we need team chemistry" or "we need to come together"? How about, "when we did come together, I thought we played helluva ball?" Your right, nobody ever says that. :rolleyes:

Like I said, I stopped listening and reading these rehearsed, generic, B.S. answers that are just becoming a joke.

I disagree.

While the sophomore jump is somewhat of a measuring stick, I think the "system jump" is far more important, and that doesn't occur until around the 3rd or 4th year, when the players finally stop thinking and start to react. This is where you see if they're ever going to reach their potential.
I don't think we are in disagreement. Re-read Pryor's quote in post #1 of this thread and my comments about the mental aspect of improvement.

What you call the "system jump" is one of the reasons players make such an improvement in their second year. They may not have mastered the system, but they can react instinctively and not stop to think about their responsibilites on the play.

Sure, a smart player will get better and better at both the system and the position, and after many years will recognize every permutation of a play. That's why old guys like O.T.I.S. could play so late in years (for a CB). But a year of playing in the system and an offseason of film study with the new knowledge gained from playing makes for a huge jump in abiity by removing the 'time required to think' before acting on a play.

I have read where he labels that jump "significant" but not "biggest." Do you have a reference?

The third or fourth year is the sweet spot. Bruschi didn't turn into a ballhawk until his fourth year if I remember correctly.

It's one of those non-argument arguments. Players that don't make the first leap, don't get to the next hill, simple.

From the 2007 and 2008 drafts how many of the drafted players made that "incredible" jump?

Mayo actually had a worse year last year than in his second year

I am still waiting for Maroney to make that big jump. How about the following players who NEVER took that big jump..Terrence Wheatly,Crable, Wilhite, Slater,James Sanders, Chad Jackson

Meanwhile another year of Tom Brady's prime goes down the drain while you wait for those rookies to hopefully get better in their second year.

Those 4 draft picks in the top 64...are not going to take you back to the superbowl this year. and yes this offseason sucks......

I am still waiting for Maroney to make that big jump. How about the following players who NEVER took that big jump...Crable...

If Crable makes the 53 and sees action in a real game that will be a pretty big jump...

Those 4 draft picks in the top 64...are not going to take you back to the superbowl this year. and yes this offseason sucks......

Your true colors are showing, ramon. . . . :rolleyes:

Meanwhile another year of Tom Brady's prime goes down the drain while you wait for those rookies to hopefully get better in their second year.

you = Patriots fans

The true revealation of a JETs fan imposter

Last edited:
From the 2007 and 2008 drafts how many of the drafted players made that "incredible" jump?

I am still waiting for Maroney to make that big jump. How about the following players who NEVER took that big jump..Terrence Wheatly,Crable, Wilhite, Slater,James Sanders, Chad Jackson

Ramon - please do us all a favor and jump off the mystic river bridge, or from where you come from - the empire state bldg.

no need to attack Ramon, he made a good point IMO

Not all players can make the transition from college to the pros as well as Gholston

This is childish.
You=brainless homers.
Him=wants pats to win every season.

Bobby Jones said Golf at the highest level is played on the course of 5 inches, between your ears. Apparently, for most homers on this board, that course is less than 5 inches.

you = Patriots fans

The true revealation of a JETs fan imposter

Last edited:
Not all players can make the transition from college to the pros as well as Gholston

No sir man, Wilhiite matched Gholston in futility.:D
Wheatley hasn't even matched that..what a chump.

Last edited:
For those of you thinking that the biggest improvement is between years 3 and 4....of course thats assuming BOTH that the player even makes the team(bad draft picks are usually cut before then) AND the fact that most will be in their CONTRACT YEAR which has been known to entice a player to play just a tad harder and better than the year before. TB improved most between 2 and 3 according to most pundits. Its different for everyone depending on a ton of factors from home cooking to playing time.

Interesting thread to read, until it caught the troll virus. What a shame.

Interesting thread to read, until it caught the troll virus. What a shame.

NEPATS fans forum definition of troll

"one who has ideas that are not in 100% in agreement with posters on the board who think they own the board"

As usual time to fall back into name calling when a reasoned calm discussion is no longer possible...quite predictable

NEPATS fans forum definition of troll

"one who has ideas that are not in 100% in agreement with posters on the board who think they own the board"

As usual time to fall back into name calling when a reasoned calm discussion is no longer possible...quite predictable

Don't flatter yourself, ramon. Reasoned, calm discussion is possible as long as it isn't hijacked by the current generation of incessantly whining, perpetually malcontented, resident front runner trolls who believe they have this joke of a franchise all figured out. Can't win every year because the don't make exciting signings in FA and they couldn't pick a winner out of a draft class if they drafted at the top of every round... Go root for some team who obviously does it better, like Detroit or the JETS...

BTW Ian owns this board. Your lucky he's such a softie because he doesn't ascribe to the malcontent mentality but he allows it to exist until it convinces him it has nothing more to offer than that or it becomes disruptive by it's very existence. Your well on you way to nothing to offer status.

You know, there are other boards, just like there are other teams, and if the one you're on doesn't suit you you can always become a frontrunner on some other board...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back