PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The jump from rookie year to second year

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacecrime

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
A lot is made of the jump from rookie to second year, and this is arguably where the biggest improvement is in most players' careers.

There are a number or reasons, one of which is the rookie wall, the jump from 10-12 games a year to 20-23. Another is getting into football shape. Rookies spend their off-season, not getting into football shape, but fine tuning their bodies specifically to do well in the 40, shuttle, etc. This is smart. Combine numbers afect their draft position and therefore earns for the first 4-5 years of their career, but it doesn't prepare them for life in the NFL.

The third thing is mental, having learned the plays and been on the field in game action. Guys on IR like Crable can learn the plays and get into shape, but until they play, they are going to have a rookie thought process in games. That's why I think BB will cut Crable a lot more slack than we will. (Unless Crable has an attitude problem, in which case he is gone.)

Hidden away in Reiss's piece on Myron Prior is this gem:

You want to get to the point where it’s like tying your shoes as a little kid – you know what you’re doing, you have no questions. I feel like last year, I was being held back because you’re always thinking, and you don’t want to mess up because it’s your first year and you want to make the best impression. This year, I just want to go in knowing it’s written in my head. I felt like that hurt me on a lot of plays I could have made.”

Myron Pryor eyes improvement in '10 - Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

This makes sense, and it makes me hopeful about guys like Prior, Brace, and Chung, even Vollmer and Butler, who I thought did exceptionally well.

Great stuff. These are the little tidbits I love reading. Along with the players you mentioned, you have to think that a few, if not one of these guys are going to become 'real' impact players and take charge on the field and off the field.

That's as clear an indication of the state of our lockeroom last year as you're gonna get.

I'm sorry, those players are all busts. I saw the all Pro voting and I'm sure we've already wasted enough time on them.

We've got some sure things in this draft, and if we hurry we can sign some can't miss expensive free agents to go with them.

This is the worst off season ever so far, we need to get on the ball!

I'm sorry, those players are all busts. I saw the all Pro voting and I'm sure we've already wasted enough time on them.

We've got some sure things in this draft, and if we hurry we can sign some can't miss expensive free agents to go with them.

This is the worst off season ever so far, we need to get on the ball!

This could be Brady's breakout year.

This could be Brady's breakout year.
He'd better break out. His stats recently aren't very good and are going in the wrong direction.

He only averaged 14 TDs per year over the last two years. Decent but no big deal.

But last year he threw 13 more INTs than he did the year before :eek:

We're going to have to see better from him or he'll be outta here.

Pick up Haynesworth's bloated body and accompanying contract and we will be on easy street..

There are a number or reasons, one of which is the rookie wall, the jump from 10-12 games a year to 20-23. Another is getting into football shape. Rookies spend their off-season, not getting into football shape, but fine tuning their bodies specifically to do well in the 40, shuttle, etc. This is smart. Combine numbers afect their draft position and therefore earns for the first 4-5 years of their career, but it doesn't prepare them for life in the NFL.

What should they be doing instead? McDonalds and KFC three times a day? Smoking? Waking up each morning to a shot of Jack?

I mean, hey, i agree there are other things prospects could be doing to help with the realities of the NFL, but getting in excellent shape only helps them, and you are implying it doesn't by stating "it doesn't prepare them for life in the NFL". If you think running wind sprints all winter somehow hurts your chances to recover from a Roy Williams horsecollar or helmet to helmet, that would be something.

Now about the post, RON BRACE RON BRACE RON BRACE. He needs to step up, why else did BB let Sey walk if he didn't love Brace and Pyror. Brace was drafted in the 2nd round. No excuses not to see significant time this year.

Last edited:
A lot is made of the jump from rookie to second year, and this is arguably where the biggest improvement is in most players' careers.

The third thing is mental, having learned the plays and been on the field in game action. Guys on IR like Crable can learn the plays and get into shape, but until they play, they are going to have a rookie thought process in games. That's why I think BB will cut Crable a lot more slack than we will. (Unless Crable has an attitude problem, in which case he is gone.)

Hidden away in Reiss's piece on Myron Prior is this gem:

You want to get to the point where it’s like tying your shoes as a little kid – you know what you’re doing, you have no questions. I feel like last year, I was being held back because you’re always thinking, and you don’t want to mess up because it’s your first year and you want to make the best impression. This year, I just want to go in knowing it’s written in my head. I felt like that hurt me on a lot of plays I could have made.”

Myron Pryor eyes improvement in '10 - Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

This makes sense, and it makes me hopeful about guys like Prior, Brace, and Chung, even Vollmer and Butler, who I thought did exceptionally well.
Ironically, you could interpret this to mean that the player who succeeds as a rookie isn't putting much effrot into learning the NFL but letting raw skill take over.

A damning indictment of last year's team's locker room chemistry. Not that this is a news flash.

you know it's bad when a rookie says there was no team chemistry. and half the guys were into it and half the guys were not.

so Kentucky. had more team chemistry. then the pats who have a 3 time super bowl QB ? i could be looking to much into this but maybe tradeing vrabel, and seymour, was i even worst move then some of us think.

will i hope they fix some of that this year. and make a run at the playoffs.

I disagree.

While the sophomore jump is somewhat of a measuring stick, I think the "system jump" is far more important, and that doesn't occur until around the 3rd or 4th year, when the players finally stop thinking and start to react. This is where you see if they're ever going to reach their potential.

I disagree.

While the sophomore jump is somewhat of a measuring stick, I think the "system jump" is far more important, and that doesn't occur until around the 3rd or 4th year, when the players finally stop thinking and start to react. This is where you see if they're ever going to reach their potential.

Except Belichick would disagree with you. He's said multiple times that the 1st-2nd year jump is the biggest to expect over a players career.

ohhh, owww

if a rookie has that to say about team chemistry...yea we have a problem

and i would imagine that problem was more on the defensive side than the offensive side

now hopefully vince will be able to get that straightend out up front, along w/ mayo, and sanders the backfield

those 3 guys will hopefully get the team chemistry together

Nothing earth shattering -- as usual. I stopped listening to anything a player says or read quotes in articles because all their lines are rehearsed and they just concentrate on saying the right thing.

Nothing earth shattering -- as usual. I stopped listening to anything a player says or read quotes in articles because all their lines are rehearsed and they just concentrate on saying the right thing.

I see you didn't bother to read the article:
I want the team to feel like a team. I’m not saying any names, but I feel like guys didn’t always come together. Some guys, when we did come together, I thought we played helluva ball. That’s the third goal -- you saw half the guys ready, and the other half ... we need that team chemistry.
Not exactly one of those rehearsed "saying the right thing" quotes you claim is all they ever say.

Ironically, you could interpret this to mean that the player who succeeds as a rookie isn't putting much effrot into learning the NFL but letting raw skill take over.
If you mean he succeeds as a rookie and doesn't get better, yes, that would be a fair thing to say as a possiblity. It could also be that he was already playing at high level (hit his ceiling I think is the terminology) and just isn't going to get any better.

I think BB mentioned this way back in the David Givens time. He said he wouldn't give up on a player as long as he was improving because you don't know how good he can get. Once he plateaus you can devide to keep him or not. And there are always late bloomers like Rich Gannon.

Neither of these things are especially bad in that at least the player is playing at an adequate level. To me, the bad ones are the guys like Mike Ruth and Ken Sims, that dominated at the college level by strength alone and never learn good technique. Well, Sims did to a degree, but not where you picture the #1 pick. I think there is a similar thing with WRs who dominate in college but cannot grasp NFL route running (Chad Jackson?) or relied totally on speed and now face DBs as fast as they are (Bethel Johnson)

Last edited:
I disagree.

Don't know, but this sounds logical. there are lots of plateaus between rookie and instinctive veteran.

I do love the instant "playmakers" threads. Sometimes it takes longer to calm those guys down and reorient them towards making plays within the coaches system, that it does for the non "playmakers". lol

Good thing is, few know what I'm talking about anyway.:bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey