PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Jets were just unlucky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AT THE 2 MINUTE WARNING OF THE FIRST HALF
The defense was pitching a shutout.
The offense had scored 6 and given up 2.
=========================
The offense was less than dominant in the first half.

Assuming they get to the post season. Getting the Wild Card is going to be tough because there are four or five teams with a legitimate shot at two Wild Card spots.

I do think the Pats did dominate in the second half, but not the first.

I learned something new today...the refs throw flags for INTENT, not an actual act.On the play that McCourty was taken out on by our other DB, he INTENDED to hit Burress so that penalty was the correct call.

On a side note, I think genetic testing would provide hard evidence that "Chupa" and "Ray Ray19" are descendants of the original settlers of the Jersey Swamp, the Quackers.

I learned something new today...the refs throw flags for INTENT, not an actual act.On the play that McCourty was taken out on by our other DB, he INTENDED to hit Burress so that penalty was the correct call.

On a side note, I think genetic testing would provide hard evidence that "Chupa" and "Ray Ray19" are descendants of the original settlers of the Jersey Swamp, the Quackers.

Yeah, I was going to reply to the intent post, but I'd figured I'd let sleeping dogs lie. So if a defender launches himself at a defensesless receiver and misses him entirely, it is a penalty? That's news to me. The only reason the penalty was called on Sunday night was because Moore hit McCourty so loud and violently and Burress landed so awkwardly, the ref just assumed Moore hit Burress.

Yeah, I was going to reply to the intent post, but I'd figured I'd let sleeping dogs lie. So if a defender launches himself at a defensesless receiver and misses him entirely, it is a penalty? That's news to me. The only reason the penalty was called on Sunday night was because Moore hit McCourty so loud and violently and Burress landed so awkwardly, the ref just assumed Moore hit Burress.

Great point. A referee should never call a penalty that they don't see occur. Moore received a crucial 15 yard penalty for hitting a defenseless receiver, that he never hit. I guess somehow the Jets were unlucky on that play too.

On WEEI (you missed it while listening to your boy Felgie) BB commented that refs were supposed to call penalties on what they see, not on what they thought happened.

I lost it at:

The Jets defense forced 5 three and outs. They forced Tom Brady to throw THREE interceptions (unfortunately, they were dropped).

Apparently dropped interceptions only count when someone not named Mark Sanchez throws them.

The Pats were three points and a blown PI in the end zone away from putting a 40burger on them. Not sure how that's lucky.

Hopefully the law of averages are catching up to the Jets. Over the past few years they've had the fortune of so many breaks eventually they start going against you. Unfortunately the rest of their schedule is almost as easy as ours and they have a solid shot at the playoffs.

On WEEI (you missed it while listening to your boy Felgie) BB commented that refs were supposed to call penalties on what they see, not on what they thought happened.

I never said the refs were right. I am just saying why the probably called the penalty.

the Patriots this year are just a legit better team than the Jets...and it pains the Jets fans to say that.

going from Braylon Edwards/Cotcherty to 37YO Burress/rookie Kerley was a downgrade offensively.

the Patriots this year are just a legit better team than the Jets...and it pains the Jets fans to say that.

going from Braylon Edwards/Cotcherty to 37YO Burress/rookie Kerley was a downgrade offensively.

The Jets downgraded in a lot of places from last year including both lines, LB, and safety. There really aren't many areas where the Jets are even as good as last year, nevermind better.

The Jets fans, while taking something and going way too far with it, had a bit of a point, as last season's 45-3 whipping should have taught us.

The Jets fans, while taking something and going way too far with it, had a bit of a point, as last season's 45-3 whipping should have taught us.

No, but this Jet fan did have a good point.

Loser's Lament

Things that the Patriots could say if they lost

1) bad snap fumble leads to safety
2) Safety when blocking assignement was missed
3) Gronk steps out of bounds in the end zone taking away a touch down
4) Ocho stepping out of bounds
5) Brady skipping a ball to a wide open Welker to end a good drive
6) Two Patriots dbacks hit each other allowing huge gain
7) Gronk drops ball right in his hands.

In other words, mistakes were made by both teams. Pretending that the Jets were the only one, is just blind homerism.

No, but this Jet fan did have a good point.

Sure, but that's the whole point, isn't it? In 45-3, the Jets did just about everything wrong, and they got smoked. In the playoffs, on the other hand, Brady throws that pick on the screen, Crumpler drops the TD and the Jets are placed in position to win.

Brady's the key, but mistakes will kill either team. The overall talent gap is not wide enough to overcome too many of them.

Sure, but that's the whole point, isn't it? In 45-3, the Jets did just about everything wrong, and they got smoked. In the playoffs, on the other hand, Brady throws that pick on the screen, Crumpler drops the TD and the Jets are placed in position to win.

Brady's the key, but mistakes will kill either team. The overall talent gap is not wide enough to overcome too many of them.

The Patriots made nearly just as many mistakes and still won by a 21 point margin. This game or 45-3 have/had no bearing in future outcomes.

The Patriots made nearly just as many mistakes and still won by a 21 point margin. This game or 45-3 have/had no bearing in future outcomes.

1.) Gronk going out was not a mistake. He lost a leverage battle and got pushed.

2.) Using 2 plays to justify the safety is ridiculous.

3.) Patriots Dbacks suck. Bad play there is expected, not "luck".

etc...

Nothing the Patriots did compares to Holmes falling down or Folk missing the chip shot. That stuff was on the first drive, when the Jets could have really established themselves early. What's more, people should know better about the chippie, since we saw how it impacted the Patriots when Gost did the same thing against the Giants.

The Jets couldn't get set on the field for plays, and were giving up wide open passes. Sanchez threw a pass that tipped off 2 players. etc.....

The Patriots won. They won convincingly. But, to pretend that a large part of the difference wasn't due to boneheaded plays and bad luck on the Jets side is silly, particularly after what we saw happen last year in the playoffs. With all the Jets screw ups, that was a game that the Jets were clearly in before Sanchez vapor locked with the timeout that gave Brady the extra time and timeout at the end of the half.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey