PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Jets first TD should not have been a TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kind of surprised that I haven't read this in any posts. Maybe I missed it?

But, you know, the bigger issue from the Patriots' standpoint is that there was a lack of hard pursuit by any other Patriots players. MAYBE they were just too far away - how about impressions from folks who were at the game ?? But with the time once the ball was in the air and the delay before the receiver got up and started running, why hadn't another Patriots' guy already gotten there to finish the play ?? ?? ??

I don't normally say this out of respect to other posters but this is a worthless thread. We wouldn't be arguing about this if the secondary just did a better job tackling and held on to the receiver to make sure either his knee, elbow, butt, or shoulder hit the ground.

Quit arguing about the rule. You sound like a bunch of whiners. It was a great play and within the rules of the game. Go to a Raiders board. They will be more than happy to discuss with you why the tuck rule must be changed too.

smg93 said:
Go to a Raiders board. They will be more than happy to discuss with you why the tuck rule must be changed too.
Actually, Raiders boards these days are just priceless. My favorite thread - maybe of all time - is entitled, "Should we use the shotgun?" :)

Sundayjack said:
Actually, Raiders boards these days are just priceless. My favorite thread - maybe of all time - is entitled, "Should we use the shotgun?" :)

the formation or an actual shotgun...

godef said:
Are you serious? Go back and look at that play and tell me how the Pats could have done a better job of tackling that guy, other than the obvious "don't fall under him". What did they do wrong? They *clobbered* the ball carrier, and perhaps the only fault is that they were *too* efficient in coverage, having two guys as it were on the play.
Clobbering is not tackling. Both Wilson and Scott clobbered Cotchery. Dillon gets clobbered all the time. Clobbering is fun to watch, but unless the result of said clobbering is that the ball carrier is on the ground, it isn't tackling.

Tackling is bringing the ball carrier to the ground. Had either Wilson or Scott actually wrapped their arms around Cotchery, he would have gone no where.

If you taped the game, go to the four quarter, 7:46 to play. Brady makes a third down throw to Caldwell, who is tackled (grabbed) and hauled to the ground. BUT Caldwell lands on top of the DB and has the presence of mind to roll forward while extending his arms outward. WHen his body does finally touch the GROUND, the ball is over the first down marker, and that key fourth quarter drive continues on.

When was Caldwell "down?" He was down when he hit the ground, and at that time the ball was beyond the first down marker.

It happens all the time. The rule is a good one, easy to enforce, with no judgments needed. Either he touched the ground or he didn't. Good rule.

Great play by the Cotch, no rules change needed just better tackling, ya think.?

Hitting is great, tackling is better. The picture will be burned into the D by BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes