PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Jets first TD should not have been a TD

Status
Not open for further replies.

nummit

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but the Jets first score should not have happened. When you make a catch, than get drilled by a defender hard enough to hit the ground shoulders first, I feel that is a tackle. The only reason his knee did not touch the ground is because the reciever was on top of a defender.
I don't think that call was in the spirit of the rule. He was down

nummit said:
I'm sorry, but the Jets first score should not have happened. When you make a catch, than get drilled by a defender hard enough to hit the ground shoulders first, I feel that is a tackle. The only reason his knee did not touch the ground is because the reciever was on top of a defender.

That was a good call, great call actually, and a great play by the WR. As much as I hate the Jets I'm not going to take credit away from them in the few instinces were they deserve it. If his shoulder hit the ground he would have been down. The only part of the WR that touched the ground were his feet and hands. Not only is that the spirit of the rule, but also the letter of the rule.

That's what you get for not playing fundamental football. Too many times have I seen Wilson or Harrison lay a hard hit on a guy (typically above the waist) only to see the guy keep his feet and get more yards. When you choose to hit somebody instead of wrapping him up, you've lost control of the player and whatever happens after that is the responsibility of the defender.

Spirit of the rule? The rule is his elbow, knee, or butt must touch the ground for it to be a tackle. I'm sure you wouldn't be saying this if that play were reversed and it was a patriot player who made a brilliant play and scored a TD.

It was an awesome heads-up play. Sometimes the breaks go for you and sometimes against you. I'd expect any real Pats fan to grasp that concept.

smg93 said:
Spirit of the rule? The rule is his elbow, knee, or butt must touch the ground for it to be a tackle. I'm sure you wouldn't be saying this if that play were reversed and it was a patriot player who made a brilliant play and scored a TD.

I'm sure Raiders fans would have loved it if Walt Coleman had called the tuck play in the spirit of the rule rather than the letter of it.

Unfortunately is was an outstanding play by Crotchety who had the presence of mind to get up and run with it while our secondary stood around and relished "the hit." When in doubt grab the guy when he gets back up and starts running and wait for the refs to break it up.

TomBrady'sGoat said:
It was an awesome heads-up play. Sometimes the breaks go for you and sometimes against you. I'd expect any real Pats fan to grasp that concept.

:yeahthat:

nummit said:
Aye Caramba! :rolleyes:

Can you puh-lease just recognize that Cotchery made a dynamite play, and Scott didn't wrap the guy up like he should? I mean, is it so hard to say that someone may have beaten your team on a play, without standing up and screaming that the rules are wrong?! I said it already in another thread - that's so Colt-ish.

That was kind of a freak play, so I can live with it. But I do think the rule should be reconsidered, because too many times you see ballcariers rolling over the pile at the goal line to get in the end zone, which I don't think should be allowed. Rewriting the rule might be tricky, though.

I think the player should be like a conductive element is to electricity, if a player is "down" but on top of a player the "downess" should just pass through to the field. I have NO PROBLEM with this play as it's as the rules state but I think the rules should take away freaky things like this (much like the Tuck Rule - bad rule, but it's the rule),

Sundayjack said:
Aye Caramba! :rolleyes:

Can you puh-lease just recognize that Cotchery made a dynamite play, and Scott didn't wrap the guy up like he should? I mean, is it so hard to say that someone may have beaten your team on a play, without standing up and screaming that the rules are wrong?! I said it already in another thread - that's so Colt-ish.

Hey, Jack! I think enough posters have already made the point that Nummit is hardly representative of Pats' fans.

We play by the rules and Cotchery did make a great play. What's more I see no reason to change the rule -- at least it's clear and any other rule would make goal-line piles impossible to referee.

BelichickFan said:
I think the player should be like a conductive element is to electricity, if a player is "down" but on top of a player the "downess" should just pass through to the field. I have NO PROBLEM with this play as it's as the rules state but I think the rules should take away freaky things like this (much like the Tuck Rule - bad rule, but it's the rule),

and it's a rule for the same reason as the tuck rule... because the alternative is impossible to enforce. With the tuck rule the league wanted to make sure the refs didn't have to interperit intent so they simplified the rule. Same with this one... lets say a player dives for the first down or goal line and gets hit in the legs, the player is now horizontal and in contact with the defensive player who is in contact with the ground. Does that make him down? You can go on and on with the what if's. I like the rule, it's simple and allows for some exciting plays. This time it went against us, it happens.

I am glad to see that most posters here recognized this and aren't just sour about the play.

Mike the Brit said:
Hey, Jack! I think enough posters have already made the point that Nummit is hardly representative of Pats' fans.

We play by the rules and Cotchery did make a great play. What's more I see no reason to change the rule -- at least it's clear and any other rule would make goal-line piles impossible to referee.
Thank you, Mike. I can go back to work now. :)

Props to the Patriots for the division win. While you all ask your team why it stopped playing after Cotchery made that play, I'll go ask mine why it didn't start until right around the same moment.

It was a great play by Cotchery, no question about it. I don't feel the rule should be changed, because I rarely see stuff like that happen anyway. Our guys should have wrapped up.

That was an amazing play by Cotchery. I love seeing great displays of athleticism, so I liked it. I never was worried the Pats would lose, so I was fine ...

Besides, you could never change the rule. Say it's a goal line stand, there's a pile of bodies, the RB hits the pile and his chest is lying on it for a second. Should he be down just because that pile is on the ground?

Just shrug, say, "Nice play!" and be happy they won.

Sundayjack said:
Thank you, Mike. I can go back to work now. :)

Props to the Patriots for the division win. While you all ask your team why it stopped playing after Cotchery made that play, I'll go ask mine why it didn't start until right around the same moment.

So far we've played 120 minutes of football and only played well in about 75 of them. But we came out of it with 2 wins, so I can't complain. The next two games will go a long way towards telling us which way we're headed this season.

Brownfan80 said:
So far we've played 120 minutes of football and only played well in about 75 of them. But we came out of it with 2 wins, so I can't complain. The next two games will go a long way towards telling us which way we're headed this season.

Yes, but remember, last year we didn't start playing well until way after the first four games (I can't remember how late in the season we actually managed to string together two wins) and we still managed to gel enough for an impressive playoff victory. I agree next week and the week after are huge games, but I'm not hanging every season hope on them either.

Bella*chick said:
Yes, but remember, last year we didn't start playing well until way after the first four games (I can't remember how late in the season we actually managed to string together two wins) and we still managed to gel enough for an impressive playoff victory. I agree next week and the week after are huge games, but I'm not hanging every season hope on them either.

True, It'd just be very nice to see them come out and lay the wood to at least one of the two (Cin/Den). Both would be even better. :D

It'd be sweet to be 4-0 heading into the game with Miami.

Wow you guys are ruthless!
My point was that Cotchery was leveled after the catch and if it was not for landing on another player he would have been down. I take nothing away from his catch, it was a great play, but he was hit and knocked to the ground by two Patriot players, he was only NOT down on a fluke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back