PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The JETS could really stick it to the Patriots if...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The JETS could really stick it to the Patriots if....

I don't see them being interested in Moss. They've already been really active in FA. I just don't see it at all.

The Patriots will pick the value they think should be assigned to Moss and they will offer it. If they do their jobs correctly, anyone who pays more will be getting less value for their dollar. If this happens in our division, so be it. It's a double whammy for that team. We save the money and another team overpays. It's the beauty of the philosophy.

Don't fret. Seriously. Either way it will be ok.

I am not saying it WILL happen

but what if the JETS came in with an offer for MOSS that the Patriots could not match?

It would be smart for the JETS, because they would weaken the Patriots and strengthen themselves at the same time.

They have plenty of cap space too.

I know we may soon have an answer, but I still think not using the franchise tag here was extremely risky and asking for trouble

Why would Moss want to play for the Jets?
Why would the Jets spend their cap money on Moss. They have less cap room than major needs. I think last I saw they had about 17 mill. They aren't going to spend half of it on Moss (more in your scenario where they give him crazy money just to hurt the Pats) and leave all of their other holes unfilled?

The Jets are worried about their team, contrary to what some believe they don't make every decision with how can we hurt the Patriots in mind.

Can someone please explain exactly what a 'poison pill' clause is?
I know we talked about it last year with Wes Welker...but I was looking for an accurate definition for a better understanding. Thanks.

A "poison pill" only works in a situation in which a team has the right under the CBA to match another team's offer. It is basically a clever way that players and their agents have figured out to make restricted free agents into basically free agents.

A restricted free agent is a three year player whose contract is up. Clubs are permitted to make that player a qualifying offer, which is just a certain amount of money for a one year contract. If they do that, they get two things: (1) the right to match any offer any other team makes, and (2) the right to compensation (in the form of a draft pick) if another team signs the player. The round of the draft pick depends on how much the offer is for. The player is then free to negotiate with other teams. If he doesn't find a deal by mid-April, his rights revert to the original club. If he does find an offer from another team, that's where the poison pill comes in.

The poison pill is something that the new offering club puts in the contract to make it impossible for the original club to match the contract. For example, if someone wanted to make an offer to a Patriots' restricted free agent, but didn't want the Patriots to be able to match it, they could put in a provision that the player would get a $20 million bonus if he played 5 games during the year in the state of Massachusettes. This would make it impossible for the Patriots to match, and thus they would lose the player but get the compensation draft pick.

Poison pills are seen as unseemly by the clubs, because they pretty much defeat the whole principle of restricted free agency. Last year, Welker was a RFA and the Dolphins tendered him at a price where they were only entitled to a 2d round pick if another team signed him. Patriots wanted to make him an offer, and there was some speculation they would put in a poison pill to make it impossible for the Dolphins to match. At the end, though, they didn't do that. Rumor is that Kraft thought it unseemly, so instead, they made a "trade" where they gave the Dolphins the same 2d round pick they would have received as compensation and also a 7th round pick. The 7th round pick was unnecessary for the Patriots to give. They did it solely to avoid the unpleasantness of a poison pill.

The status of the poison pill in the future is unknown. The Kraft/New England experience seems to indicate that it is not in vogue. At the same time, the Union has a right to be angry about it if owners are colluding to deprive players of a legitimate weapon in their arsenal. But how do you prove it? A player would need to show that another team wanted him, could have used a poison pill, but did not. Tough to show. Welker's agent (I think -- maybe it was the union) actually filed a greivance, but that was silly, because he got what he wanted in the end. If the Patriots had stood on principle and not used the poison pill, and had not offered the 7th round pick, it might have been dicey. But, anyway, none of this has anything to do with Moss.

Last edited:

I am not saying it WILL happen

but what if the JETS came in with an offer for MOSS that the Patriots could not match?

It would be smart for the JETS, because they would weaken the Patriots and strengthen themselves at the same time.

They have plenty of cap space too.

I know we may soon have an answer, but I still think not using the franchise tag here was extremely risky and asking for trouble

Sure Moss leaves Oakland to eventually play for the Jets....:rolleyes:

If the Patriots do not offer a financially competitive contract with what he could make on the open Market,

Brady or no Brady, Ring or No Ring...he will be gone.

The non use of the franchise tag, took away a great deal of leverage that they could have had.

Who cares????

If he all of the sudden changes his stance, the Pats don't want him anyway.

Stupid thread... inane thread... inept thread...

A "poison pill" only works in a situation in which...

Thank you, PatsFaninAZ.
That was a great explanation. I wonder why you never hear the talking head mediots ever talk about the "poison pill" during this time of year?
I fear if the Pats ever did it, it would be 'cheating.'
If anyone else did it, it would be 'shrewd business.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill