PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Jarvis Green "problem"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The "problem" is that he is too good to sit on the bench when Seymour gets back. It's great to have depth, but this guy is better than just an insurance policy. Is there any other team in the NFL where Green wouldn't start? He is probably a borderline pro bowl player if he plays 16 games.

Jarvis Green is getting starting money. He will get plenty of reps this year. He jsut won't play much on running downs.

I have the feeling we may net a first round pick for him during the offseason if he continues to play like this while Seymour is out. Although I would love to keep this guy, I think if someone floats a first rounder for him that it might be too much to keep him on the bench. Teams are so desperate for great d-line players that I think if he has 5-6 sacks by the time Seymour comes back assuming he is back by week 8, he might be a hot commodity.

Last edited:
Jarvis Green is getting starting money. He will get plenty of reps this year. He jsut won't play much on running downs.

I don't know. Green looks like he has really stepped up his game on running downs.

I told my brother earlier this week that by week 6 there will be a tremendous divide amongst us fans. there will be many who will want green to continue to start and there will be many who will want seymour to reclaim his position. I truly think jarvis will have 7- 9 sacks by the time week 6 shows up.

Like Seymour, Warren and Wilfork make him look really good. Warren especially.

Green is a fantastic player to have around if only because he's excellent insurance in the event Seymour continues to be an injury waiting to happen

Green gets paid as a starter.
He says he likes his role here. That's why he stayed here instead of pursueing a starting job elsewhere.
Good for us, bad for them.

Why would the Pats give up their depth when Seymour has been so fragile? Logic says you keep him.

Green is OUTRAGEOUSLY valuable to this team. He can sub (in rotation or for long, injury-caused stretches) for Warren and Seymour, and in a pinch he could go in for Wilfork. He seems to be very happy with his role. I'm hesitant to say I'd deal him for a #1 - and I am a WHORE for draft picks.

I have the feeling we may net a first round pick for him during the offseason if he continues to play like this while Seymour is out. Although I would love to keep this guy, I think if someone floats a first rounder for him that it might be too much to keep him on the bench. Teams are so desperate for great d-line players that I think if he has 5-6 sacks by the time Seymour comes back assuming he is back by week 8, he might be a hot commodity.
Considering Seymour's recent oft-injured track record, I think it would be wise to keep Green until its no longer financially feasible to do so; not to mention the relative scarcity of d-linemen who are qualified to play and perform in our defense. High draft picks are required to land the majority of these beasts, and they're gambles (though relatively low-risk gambles, I suppose).

Bottom line - in my opinion, our d-line depth gives our defense a distinct advantage, and I would not be hasty to mess with that. Other teams would die for that luxury and flexibility.

Last edited:
It will allow Seymour to ease back into the rotation and I'd say it's a great thing to rotate linemen so they aren't as worn down by the end of the season. Great problem to have.

At the end of last season I asked the question, is it time to change to 4 down linemen and 3 linebackers. This was before the A. Thomas signing. This board jumped down my throat - most telling me I was out of my mind.

At this point I can only say BB will use all of his players to the best of their ability. Green will get his reps when Seymour gets back. After all, did anyone expect to see Morris run for 50 yards today?

At the end of last season I asked the question, is it time to change to 4 down linemen and 3 linebackers. This was before the A. Thomas signing. This board jumped down my throat - most telling me I was out of my mind.

At this point I can only say BB will use all of his players to the best of their ability. Green will get his reps when Seymour gets back. After all, did anyone expect to see Morris run for 50 yards today?

We jumped down your throat because it's a TERRIBLE idea. This team's defense depends on - is BASED on - flexibility and different formations, switching from 3-4 to 4-3 to other, more exotic, schemes. We're not switching to 4-3. It will NEVER happen with BB at the helm.

As a fulltime starter could Jarvis put up 12+ sacks?

the guy gets them in bunches

We jumped down your throat because it's a TERRIBLE idea. This team's defense depends on - is BASED on - flexibility and different formations, switching from 3-4 to 4-3 to other, more exotic, schemes. We're not switching to 4-3. It will NEVER happen with BB at the helm.

How many times did they line up in a 4-3 today?

How many times did they line up in a 4-3 today?

That's not the same thing. The beauty of the 3-4 is that it presents a bigger initial problem to the opposing O; morphing from 3-4 to 4-3 is arguably an even bigger problem than going from 4-3 to 3-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots