PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Jaguars have released longtime starting QB David Garrard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid~Brady

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The Jacksonville Jaguars have informed starting quarterback David Garrard they are releasing him, Jay Glazer of NFL Network and Fox Sports reported Tuesday.

The surprising move means Luke McCown will start Sunday's season opener against the Tennessee Titans.

Garrard, 33, has started 58 of 64 games for the Jaguars during the past four seasons, after the Jaguars released Byron Leftwich in similar fashion in 2007. In 2010, Garrard passed for 2,734 yards and 23 touchdowns with 15 interceptions. The touchdowns and interceptions were career highs. He has thrown 89 touchdown passes and 54 interceptions in his career.

Garrard was entering the fourth year of a seven-year, $62.98 million contract that he signed in 2008. He was due $7.975 million this season. That figure was scheduled to grow $500,000 in each of the next two seasons.

McCown, 30, joined the Jaguars in 2009 in a trade after spending four years with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2005 to 2008) and one with the Cleveland Browns (2004). He hasn't started a game since 2007 while with the Bucs, and his career high is four starts as a rookie in Cleveland.

Link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...cown-to-starting-qb?module=HP11_breaking_news

Last edited:
Sign the beast :D

seriously though didn't think garrad was that bad of a player. Should catch on somewhere.

seriously though didn't think garrad was that bad of a player. Should catch on somewhere.

Agreed! Not a great player, but not a bad one!

WOW...this is a huge surprise to me...!
why isn't Gabbert starting week1 then?

WOW...this is a huge surprise to me...!
why isn't Gabbert starting week1 then?

Same question I asked. I thought for sure Gabbert would be next up.

Del Rio wants to get fired I guess

Hope Miami doesn't pick him up, he'd be an upgrade over Henne

They say Garrard has regressed this preseason, and considering who and what he was that couldn't have been a good sign... Streaky and wildly inconsistent. Mind numbingly bad decisions were his achilles heel, well that and being injury prone.

Del Rio just bet his job on Blaine Gabbert.

Good luck with that, Jack. :bricks:

Here is one reporter from south Florida's opinion on the possibility of the Dolphins adding Garrard:

Would the Miami Dolphins have interest in David Garrard? | Sun-Sentinel

The relevant question here is whether the Dolphins would – or even should – have interest in Garrard. Numbers-wise, Garrard has been among the more reliable quarterbacks in the game but he has probably never commanded the kind of respect he deserves.

He has completed at least 60 percent of his passes in every season since 2006 and, for his career, has thrown 84 touchdowns against 54 interceptions. He’s somewhat mobile, too, having run for 17 touchdowns in his career (while also averaging 4.6 yards per fun).

So would the Dolphins be interested? Should they?

I say no to both questions. If Garrard had been on the market at the start of the preseason, that’d be one thing. But at this point, it wouldn’t make a lot of sense to bring him on board. Chad Henne was among the highest-rated quarterbacks during the preseason. In addition to his on-field improvement, Henne by all accounts has become a better leader and has come a long ways inside the locker room, too.

After Henne’s successful preseason, what kind of message would the Dolphins be sending if they made a run at acquiring Garrard? It wouldn’t make a lot of sense. And, of course, there are no indications the Dolphins are even interested. That said, Garrard will land somewhere. His agent will be a busy man in the coming days.

Last edited:
The Jets have Brunell and a beat up McElroy and I believe have talked to O'Connell to return as backups to Sanchez

Garrard is better than any of them...the Jets would be nuts not to take a looksee

The Jets have Brunell and a beat up McElroy and I believe have talked to O'Connell to return as backups to Sanchez

Garrard is better than any of them...the Jets would be nuts not to take a looksee

McElroy is on IR; O'Connell is officially back.

Pro-Bowl quarterback, how could they?!

Is this a cater to the fans wanting something move?

Garrard did have a very good year in 2007; his being a pro bowler that year was not some fluke selection, it was well deserved. He had 18 TD and just 3 INT that year, completed 64% of his passes, had a 102.2 QB rating, and threw for 2509 yards despite missing three games. In the playoffs he led the Jags to a 4th quarter comeback win over Pittsburgh before losing to the Pats in a game he threw for 278 yards and 2TD. On the other hand his 2010 pro bowl honor was a joke as he was the 3rd quarterback on that team, plus five others did not play, making him the #8 QB in Pro Bowl votes in the AFC last year.

He parlayed that 2007 season into what was considered to be a huge contract at that time - $60 million over six years - but today all that contract shows is that people should only look at the guaranteed money and not the full amount or length. In Garrard's case he was only paid slightly more than half of that $60 million; he was due to make $25.5 million from 2011-13. He was due to make approximately $8 million this year, so once Jacksonville drafted Blaine Gabbert it should have been obvious Garrard would be cut, despite the Jags saying that would not be the case.

I'm guessing the decision may have came from above. After ownership saw Del Rio had not cut Garrard to get down to 53 players, perhaps that had a sit-down and explained that they weren't going to pay that kind of money for a guy that was not part of the team's long term plans. It blows for Del Rio, who has got to be on the hot seat at this point but it makes sense for th team to cut him.

Including Sanchez

Why can't WE get teams like that in our division (who cut their starting QB less than a week before the start of the season)?!

Del Rio just bet his job on Blaine Gabbert.

Good luck with that, Jack. :bricks:

He already bet his job on Garrard so why not go all-in at the 11th hour? At least he can say he tried everything

Maybe Colts will sign Garrard.

He already bet his job on Garrard so why not go all-in at the 11th hour? At least he can say he tried everything

Garrard had been on the team for years, and was ready. Gabbert's been on the team for months, and is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back