Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Iranian Blockade Magic act...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Jun 8, 2010.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Interesting story about Iran this AM in the NY Times...

Give me that old time Mossad or CIA... more effective and less collateral damage..

Web of Shell Companies Veils Trade by Iran?s Ships - NYTimes.com

By that time, though, the freighter had yet another name: the Amplify. Last spotted by an electronic tracking system this April in Karachi, Pakistan, the Amplify was under new management and had a mysterious new owner.
  2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -8

You & I certainly agree upon this one Darryl! I also prefer that our forces come like ghosts & demons in the night and eliminate selected targets to get our message across.
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Are you guys gone? We can't waterboard known terrorists, yet you think we should blow up, and eliminate "selected" targets in the ghost of night? ahahahahahaha.....
  4. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Yeah, there does seem a disconnect there. Though I agree with Bush on waterboarding and Darryl on this.

Is it time for the messiah's arrival or what?
  5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -8

I have always believed in a branch of of our military that doesn't have to answer to political correctness. With terrorism and terrorist states like Iran, the way of the mossad is the right way to go.

Hey, maybe we should just partner with Israel's mossad and let them train some of our troops or do joint tactics with them.

But yeah, I really like the idea of ghosts & demons in the night, don't you RW?
  6. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

I think reality dictates that difficult decisions be made, some of which we don't always want to know about. The problem comes with where the line is drawn. Deep down, the majority of pragmatic people understand that there is a level of "bad" that may need to be done, in order to maintain the general good. The more you rely on, or use, deadly &/or covert measures like these, the worse you can sometimes make things. So while I understand, and don't disagree with the premise, or need, my acceptance of it comes with extreme limitations. I don't think the gubmit should be treking across the globe, zapping people, places, and things that it thinks are a threat to it's interests. What I do think, is that there are exceptional situations, where doing so covertly, can prevent something worse from happening.

As always, generally speaking of course.
  7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

What I had in mind was that accidents sometimes happen, sometimes nuclear power plants have accidents.. boats sink for unknown reasons.. the power grid goes down.. it is certainly a more effective method than another costly war...

Torture did not enter this brain as an alternative...
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

But nowhere near as profitable...

...Former CIA Director R. James Woolsey is a prominent example of the phenomenon, mixing his business interests with what he contends are the country's strategic interests. He left the CIA in 1995, but he remains a senior government advisor on intelligence and national security issues, including Iraq. Meanwhile, he works for two private companies that do business in Iraq and is a partner in a company that invests in firms that provide security and anti-terrorism services.

Woolsey said in an interview that he was not directly involved with the companies' Iraq-related ventures. But as a vice president of Booz Allen Hamilton, a consulting firm, he was a featured speaker in May 2003 at a conference co-sponsored by the company at which about 80 corporate executives and others paid up to $1,100 to hear about the economic outlook and business opportunities in Iraq.

Before the war, Woolsey was a founding member of the Committee for the Liberation of Iraq, an organization set up in 2002 at the request of the White House to help build public backing for war in Iraq. He also wrote about a need for regime change and sat on the CIA advisory board and the Defense Policy Board, whose unpaid members have provided advice on Iraq and other matters to Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld....

Advocates of War Now Profit From Iraq's Reconstruction
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Same difference isn't it? You'd prefer a boat sink, reactor blow, or person disappear, if it meant keeping the peace, or saving lives. Well, what's the difference between that, and waterboarding Kalid Sheik Mohamed? Some would argue that the latter, is less egregious, since it doesn't mean someone dies, the destruction of property, nor the possibility of collateral damage. My point isn't to say that your opinion is wrong. I'm merely pointing out how there's a disconnect between the two, when there really shouldn't be. The only difference between one being accepted, or frowned upon, is public knowledge, or political persuasion. Once people know about some specific incident like this, it's automatically wrong. When the "idea" is broached as conversation, most everyone is in approval "if it happens". It's interesting to see how people are accepting of that which they sometimes shun, or vice versa.
  10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

There is a difference between a formal policy, and an informal one.. I had in mind the latter.. our country should not "formally" endorse torture, but in reality shyt happens..

Waterboarding Sheik Mohamed, will not stop the nuclear program, nor will it stop a ship coming in with more weapons..