PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Invisible Shane Vereen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless the back is Adrian Peterson, avoid drafting a RB until at least round 3, preferably in rounds 4-6.

RBs = dime a dozen

Won't argue about Danny, I think he is a great player and gets more out of his talent than most. On a swing pass in space Danny will get as much out of the play as possible. Shane in my opinion is more dynamic and is more capable to take it to the house.
By the way, I am not asking for much here, and not looking to cut into Woodhead's playing time. Your post is accurate (blocking, Brady's trust in him, etc.) Just looking for a couple of swing passes against a good pass rush to our most dynamic back in space. I bet we'd love the result.

It's hard to believe he was such a high pick and effectively 4th string behind two undrafted guys.

I don't have anything bad to say about the guy but basically drafting RBs high isn't creating value in this system. Dillon, law firm, Morris, the current guys who play all but 3 snaps. Pattern emerges.

bolden when on a roll is better than vereen in my eyes

Reliability. Quite simply Woodhead is the more reliable back at this point, and playing well.

Because Woodhead is better in every way. Vereen isn't even faster, Woodhead ran a 4.33 and Vereen a 4.5.

Woodhead can block. Vereen can't. Brady trusts Woodhead. Not Vereen.

Woodhead has stud hands, can run/scamper between tackles and is in nearly every way superior to Vereen.

Woodhead vs Vereen measurables:

Code:
          Woodhead  Vereen
40 yds    4.40s      4.49s
10 yds    1.44s      1.56s
Vert      38"        34"
SS        4.2s       4.28s
Cone      7.03s      6.95s
100m      10.5s      10.61s

NFL Draft Scout----Powered By: The Sports Xchange
NFL Draft Scout----Powered By: The Sports Xchange

Woodhead beats Vereen in almost every measurable, let alone including intangibles.

It's amusing that because Vereen was a 2nd round pick and Woodhead was undrafted and a Jets castoff, folks seem to think Vereen has more upside. The opposite is true: Woodhead was one of the greatest players in collegiate football history and has always exceeded expectations. So it continues.

Last edited:
What have you done for me lately is in full force these past two days.

What have you done for me lately is in full force these past two days.

Vereen's been invisible all season. He's got a handful of legitimate touchdowns.

The team really must have thought Woodhead would regress, since it's clear Vereen doesn't do anything better than him.

As it stands right now, he has to do a lot more if he wants to be resigned after his rookie contract. He hasn't showed much yet but i'm still hopefull.

Vereen's been invisible all season. He's got a handful of legitimate touchdowns.

The team really must have thought Woodhead would regress, since it's clear Vereen doesn't do anything better than him.

Either that, or that Woodhead wouldn't recover from the concussion sustained against the Phins in Week 17 of 2010.

I would much rather have a temporary surplus at a position than a shortfall. Much, much, much.

Woodhead is playing well now, Ridley/Bolden are our running backs and there are only so many snaps available for RB/3rd down backs in a two tight end offense.

Vereen will need to force his way onto the field, but i really couldn't care less this year. we have good talent and production from our backfield for any type of offense we need to run. That's all that matters. That's it.

I'll never understand why people consider having an extra talented player a problem.

I would much rather have a temporary surplus at a position than a shortfall. Much, much, much.

Woodhead is playing well now, Ridley/Bolden are our running backs and there are only so many snaps available for RB/3rd down backs in a two tight end offense.

Vereen will need to force his way onto the field, but i really couldn't care less this year. we have good talent and production from our backfield for any type of offense we need to run. That's all that matters. That's it.

I'll never understand why people consider having an extra talented player a problem.

Because with only 53 roster spots, it often means that somewhere else is getting shortchanged. I don't think we're seeing that at RB this year in N.E., though, since 4 seems to be a pretty typical carry amount around the league, and none of the "extra talented" players are the sort to bring much back via trade.

Last edited:
Because with only 53 roster spots, it often means that somewhere else is getting shortchanged. I don't think we're seeing that at RB this year in N.E., though, since 4 seems to be a pretty typical carry amount around the league, and none of the "extra talented" players are the sort to bring much back via trade.

Again, if the team doesn't think he's worth keeping, trying to hide on some list *wink wink* trading, or trying waivers and the practice squad, why should I worry about him at all? We obviously have 53 more useful players.

By the way, we just cut Aikers and Develin. Not losing any sleep over that either, obviously.

He's obviously got some talent, it's up to him if he shows it, or gets passed by. The reason I love BB, is he won't hesitate a microsecond to replace him with an unwanted college or free agent if he thinks that's best for the team.

As I stated before (and got stoned for saying so) the problem with Vereen is that he is not decisive in the hole. He takes a stutter step before making his move. It might work in College but it is does not work in the Pros. Ron Dayne was the ultimate example of this but Vereen has a bit of Dayne-itis.

I'll be glad to see who wins between Demps and Vereen.

I'll be glad to see who wins between Demps and Vereen.

Demps looked super human during the preseason and is, by far, the guy I'm most excited to see next season.

If he is anywhere near as amazing against first stringers I could definitely see is doing a Spiiller/Jackson thing with Demps/Ridley and Woodhead our reliable 3rd down/passing back.

I don't get the hating on Vereen. This is essentially his rookie year. No off-season because of the lockout and he got hurt last year. I think he's done what's asked. Phil Simms has raved about what he's seen from him at our practices. I think he's a tad shiftier than Ridley at the goal-line and that's why we've used him there. Ridley is more of the downhill one step and go back. Which is great. But, he's not great at picking a hole on that stretch play we use near the goal line. I love Woodhead. But, he does have 3 more years of experience that Vereen. Maybe, Vereen won't be as good as Woodhead. I wouldn't bet against it though. I'm guessing this thread was started because of his fumble last week. I do remember a big fumble by Woodhead in last year's AFCCG.

eh, you can post the measurables, but didnt woodhead have a serious injury before the pats picked him up? i doubt those would be the same.

vereen has his uses just as every running back does, but its more of a reserve role with Ridley/Woodhead being the more reliable backs than bolden/vereen.

im more of a mind that he didnt play in the jax game because of his fumble more than need of anyone else. ridley is the workhorse so they arent going to bench him unless he starts fumbling more than normal (for his # of carries, his fumbles are about average), and woodhead is the most proven/known back they have.

The little I see of Vereen, I like. Why he is used so little, I am not sure, but missing blocks, fumbles, and any mistake gets any player less time in this system. Woody plays well everytime he is on the field and he is peaking at the right time - stay with the hot hand. I think Vereen will be good and I am hoping he will be a playoff surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes