PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Interior Line - AWESOME

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, kudos to all the linemen including the TE's. The pas protection was great. The run blocking was great.

BUT A SPECIAL SHOUT OUT to the interior linemen. I don't know the final numbers, but at one point we had 153 yards rushing up the middle. I don't remember that happening in a very long time. Please correct if I got it wrong.

In any case, as the announcers pointed out, the experience and play of the guards made all the difference this week in our line play. Obviously, the big change is the inclusion of someone SOME of us knew was a fine run blocker: Wendell.

I want to see this line up again next week so we can build off this game and get some consistency. I predicted that Brady would be hit at least 10 times and was soooo wrong so MAJOR kudos to Connelly, stork, and Wendell. They really showed up tonight and if they can play like that on a weekly basis then the top 10 offense I thought we had preseason is possible.

So if the line continues to play this way, and wright continues his play is BB a genius again?

if what you say continues.....the answer is yes

logan who?........(i liked the guy)

They needed a big game out of the center position and the Stork delivered. Nice to see Wendell have a good game too. He played probably one of of his best games as a Patriot tonight.

If Stork can continue to improve he is going to be a great draft investment. Not bad at all forms rookie in his 5th game.

Who would of Thought Connolly and Wendy would be the stabilizing forces. But Connolly has been our best olinemen this year and getting Wendy back today obviously had a positive impact. And Stork deserves praise for allowing them to play guards.

Funny how the interior looks better when you have actual interior linemen playing the position instead of 4 tackles.

I want to see this line up again next week so we can build off this game and get some consistency. I predicted that Brady would be hit at least 10 times and was soooo wrong so MAJOR kudos to Connelly, stork, and Wendell. They really showed up tonight and if they can play like that on a weekly basis then the top 10 offense I thought we had preseason is possible.

The Bengals area very good team, but are not dominant in size on their interior DL The Bills are much different. They have a very big and tough DL and are good generating pressure too, similar to KC. It will be a tough game in Buffalo.

Who would of Thought Connolly and Wendy would be the stabilizing forces. But Connolly has been our best olinemen this year and getting Wendy back today obviously had a positive impact. And Stork deserves praise for allowing them to play guards.

Funny how the interior looks better when you have actual interior linemen playing the position instead of 4 tackles.

As has been stated in a thread this week, the difference is slide stepping and running your man off, versus engaging with your hands and setting against the rush. Cannon is used to "sliding" between the end and qb, while pushing off the end. To be blunt, that **** doesn't fly on the interior. Neither does tuba playing. I'm agreeing with you btw...which brings us to this:

The Bengals area very good team, but are not dominant in size on their interior DL The Bills are much different. They have a very big and tough DL and are good generating pressure too, similar to KC. It will be a tough game in Buffalo.

Very true. Fleming getting his hand function back would be nice...no way in hell I'd expect Wendell to handle that defensive line. Dareus on his nose= angry Brady presser.

Then again, I didn't expect such a solid game from the oline tonight after hearing Flemming was out.

In any case, great game by the big uglies tonight!

Wendell is undersized but one tough SOB. He was always good at pulling and movement, so that stood him in good stead against the penetrating but not really big Bengals interior DL. That helps him play Guard. However he still has trouble moving big guys like Marcel Darius in power blocking.

The new Patriots line has a good and big Center in Stork. That is helping to create and maintain a pocket for the QB to step up into. I still think they would like to get Fleming adapted to play RG.. But the urgency to do it is moderated for several games. It is disappointing that Cannon can't seem to acclimate to Guard play. But he still seems to be a good RT and is even competent at LT too.

"The Stork, he ain't no dork, keeps the d from getting to Tom Bradys pork!" -Gresh at 2am after the game

Wendell at RG was surprising. The performance of Wendell at RG even more so.

My initial thought was that the Pats obviously liked what they saw from Stork at center, and didn't want to shake that up. And I think the odds at this point is that Stork is pretty firmly entrenched at the pivot. His ability to hold his ground and to make line calls both look solid.

Wendell obviously looked good at RG. He has always been a good run blocker, and his quickness out of his stance was evident. My personal impression was that he was more effective at RG than he has been at C - perhaps not having to make the line calls or deal with snapping allowed him to focus on his role, or perhaps he is just healthier than he has been in a while. Either way, it was certainly a welcome surprise.

I certainly think the most logical thing right now is to stick with this line, and go back to using Stork as a 6th OL/extra TE in jumbo sets.

Solder Connolly Stork was dominant yesterday.

I don't...I always thought LT Mankins looked pretty good playing G.

This was an interesting change.

The pats have had three tackles playing guard, all 6-5 and bigger, in Fleming, Cannon, and Devey.
They switched to an interior with three centers. Drop in length and improvement in agility.

Obviously mankins made the transition from college LT to guard. That doesn't mean every undrafted or late round tackle can.

Dareus had three sacks Sunday. That could be a different challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back