Welcome to PatsFans.com

The infrastructure

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

By now, we've read about the tragedy of the bridge collapsing in Minnesota. For several years, there have been many news articles about our infrastructure being badly in need of repairs. Our older areas have old bridges, tunnels, sewers, and so on. The cost of bringing these things up to standard is probably astronomical. I think taxes will have to be raised to address these problems.

A quick search led me to this:

http://www.asce.org/reportcard/2005/index.cfm

How will we come up with the $1.6 trillion to restore our infrastructure?
  2. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Personally I trust the older bridges and tunnels (like the Tobin and Callahan) more than I do the newer ones (like the Zakim and Ted Williams).
  3. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Wasn't that the cost of the Big Dig alone:rolleyes: Seriously though, I was watching MSNBC this morning and they made the point that repairing these are usually low priority in a lot of municipalities. Put a new civic center, shopping mall or sports stadium up to a vote and see how far down the ladder fixing a bridge goes.
  4. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

It's a big problem. I have walked across the Longfellow Bridge, from Cambridge to Beacon Hill. That Bridge is a wreck, with some of the railings practically rusted through and parts of the sidewalk in bad disrepair, and one gets the feeling that it's not a good bridge for supporting trucks, cars, and the Red Line. Boston has been talking about repairing it for years, but maybe the tragedy in Minnesota will be a wake up call. At any rate, this is the perfect kind of issue for the Boston Herald. I hope they start a series on our crumbling infrastructure. I do think that to address our infrastructure will require a substantial tax increase, and the longer we wait, the greater the increase.
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +254 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

Roads, bridges and stuff, isn't that what the gas tax is supposed to pay for ? Regardless, you guys in Boston, or wherever, can feel free to pay for it how you like - my federal dollars shouldn't be going towards it.
  6. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I'm sure it is a big problem. And now after the totally indefensible rip-off debacle of the Big Dig fiasco, I'm sure that people in the Boston area are scared shirtless about committing money to any more infrastructure improvement "proposals". I sincerely hope the goose that layed the golden egg has not been eaten for dinner already.

//
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

The Bridge:

How long before the "Conspiracy Stuff" starts,
    Bush's Fault
    Cheney's Fault
    Haliburton's Fault
    GLOBAL WARMING'S FAULT.

There was one bugged eyed reporter blabbing and drooling on the news awhile ago saying a Jack Hammer caused it.

This bridge was inspected in 2006, they said it didn't need repairs until 2020 :confused:

A Jack Hammer :singing:

You Can't Believe A Damn Thing That The Scum Bag Politicians Tell You Today

I can't wait for their next debate about sex.
    :bricks:
  8. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Dig a few clams for me, Harry.

:D

//
  9. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here's one of the liberals' favorite tricks:

1) Liberal says "we need to raise taxes to provide support for our failing infrastructure."

2) General population responds "we don't like tax raises, but this is certainly a good idea worth funding."

3) Taxes are raised, much revenue gets generated.

4) Over the next few years a few minor, cosmetic repairs are made but the vast majority of the new revenue is swallowed up by the bureaucracy and the corrupt unions.

5) Liberal says "we need to raise taxes to provide support for our failing infrastructure."

6) Go to step 2.
  10. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

They need Democrat Jack Hammers, those damn Republican Jack Hammers are no good.

I still think Global Warming had a lot to with this.

Chavez Oil----------Good
    Haliburton Oil-------Bad
  11. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Harry, you forgot muslims.What happened? :eek: :D
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  12. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

If we want to live in a civilized society, with police, firefighters, teachers,decent roads,and bridges etc. All the things we take for granted. We have to pay dues. Those's dues come in the form of taxes. All of us want to pay less in taxes,but if we want the things I mentioned above they have to be payed for some how. Unfortionatly many times our tax money is used for things we don't want,or to line the pockets of politicians,and others.
  13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

The Liberals would be all over me, if it was the Muslims Ann Coulter will get to the bottom of it and let us know :D

THEY'RE NOT ALL BAD
  14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

Thats why the democrats love to raise taxes, instead of using the money to fix bridges they will use it
    "To Buy Condoms For Africa" and if there is any Left Over they will take it home and put it in their Freezer with their Chicken Wings. :singing:
  15. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +254 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

Thanks for the bulletin.

I think we pay enough :

Federal Income Tax.
    State Income Tax.
    Sales Tax.
    Property Tax.
    Gas Tax.
    Inheritance Tax.
    Capital Gains Tax.
    Medicare (tax).
    Social Security (tax).
    Car Registration (tax).
    Sin tax(es).

Probably a few others I forgot. Seems like it's enough to me :confused:
  16. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

More than enough,it makes me cringe. Oh you forgot the tax on breathing,clean air that is.
  17. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

This is what kills me about the bridge collapse. The super structure had a rating of 4 after inspection. A 5 means it has to be corrected ,its deteriorated to the point of haveing to be fixed. The road surface recieved a 6. So what was money targeted for LOOKS, the road surface. It's annalagous to putting a new roof on a house that the cellar walls,and main beams are failing.
  18. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

As usual, the righties have no solutions. They're simply trying to pass blame. No wonder they're starting to lose elections. They lack ideas to real problems. If our infrastructure is in bad shape, it will obviously cost an enormous amount of money to fix it. Do the righties continue to favor deficit spending? Do they favor borrowing for the WOT and for our infrastructure? I think it's clear they simply favor trying to blame someone else and shirking responsibility. The righies might talk about personal responsibility, but they're always the first to blame the other guy.
  19. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have a great solution... stop giving free welfare, free housing and free health care to every single illegal immigrant that manages to break into our country (including the ones already here). Take the savings from that and spend it on infrastructure improvements.

Of course, the moonbats just fall back on the solution they always fall back on... MORE TAXES!!
  20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

One trillion and counting for the Iraq debacle, if that money could be used for infrastructure and the schools we might be in much better shape. I have to laugh at the righties who laugh at the lefties over spending, this adm has spent more than any other, instead of raising taxes and paying as they go they passed the debt on to our children and grandchildren.. what a fiasco, talk about double speak.