PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Inevitable "Draft Robert Quinn" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
First and foremost, Robbert Quinn will easily be a Top 5 Pick.

So the question is, what pick do we end up with from the Raiders? Without a doubt it will be in the Top 10, but where? As early as the NFL season is, it's hard to say, but I'd be willing to bet it's right around the #5 mark, give or take a couple spots. Cleveland, Jacksonville, Buffalo and Carolina are probably going to have the worst records in the NFL. Detroit and STL have shown some potential to Win some games. SF started out bad but could turn it around as they have a lot of talent. So The Raiders pick could be anywhere from 4 to 9.

The question is this.. Will there be a Rookie Salary Cap? You have to think it's coming sooner than later, and with alot of changes being made this off-season, this will be something the Owners will push for and the NFLPA won't fight against because it won't affect them.

If there is not a rookie salary cap I expect BB to trade down as usual. No way he wants to pay a rookie the kind of money they demand these days in the top 10.

Now if there IS a rookie salary cap, Will BB trade up to draft Quinn? We have tons of ammo to easily pull it off, and we're at a point where we don't need to draft a whole bunch of players. Instead we need 1 or 2 high impact players that can make a different. Robert Quinn fits that profile and also fits BB/Parcells ideal OLB (6'4, 260lbs, former DE). Quinn is probably as close to DeMarcus Ware as any prospect in the past 5 years.

So would you want to trade both our 1st rd picks to move up and select Quinn? For example: #6 overall and #24 overall, for #2 overall to draft Quinn.

Keep in mind we would still have Carolina's 2nd round pick which will probably be around #33 to #36 overall.

Me? I'd do it in a heartbeat (assuming Quinn grades out well in interviews). The one thing our team have lacked in the past few years is someone who could rush the passer. We dont need to trade down anymore and accumulate picks. We are stacked on our depth chart and have so many young players that a 3rd rounder from last year couldnt even make the team (McKenzie). Why stockpile mid rounders who may or may not make the team when we can go after a position we've sorely been lacking and need an upgrade at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNoYxbvKxXE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqJrjwjf55c

Last edited:
With the way things are going right now, it's definitely possible that Oakland's pick is AT LEAST #6 overall. That being said, if BB likes what he sees in Quinn, we should be able to get him. Here's why:

So far, the teams that look like they are going to be drafting ahead of us are St. Louis, Carolina, Cleveland, Buffalo, Jacksonville, and Detroit. While having all these teams draft ahead of us would push our pick back, there's a good chance that only 4 will finish worse than Oakland. Looking at each of their needs furthers my reasoning for why we have a shot at Quinn.

1) St. Louis: They have their QB of the future in Bradford, but they have no playmaker WR for Bradford. I fully expect them to be looking at Julio Jones or AJ Green. Other areas that could definitely could use some improvement are their secondary and their O-line.

2) Detroit: Their needs are almost identical to St. Louis', except that there is more of a need in the secondary. I expect them to be looking at Peterson or Amukamara.

3) Carolina: Seeing as they already drafted Jimmy Clausen, Carolina could go a number of ways here. I think it will either be WR (whoever is left of Green and Jones) or D-line. Although they could grab Quinn, I think they will lean towards Marcell Dareus or Cam Heyward.

4) Cleveland: Either a QB or a WR.

5) Buffalo: QB

6) Jacksonville: :confused: IDK, everything's a mess!! Seriously though, I think they'll grab a QB or a CB to replace Rashean Mathis.

Scott Wright's got us taking Von Miller and Mark Ingram in the first round.

2 things, 1.) if there is a rookie salary cap what is it at? It could still be cost prohibitive which means another trade down. 2.) If the cap is reasonable a top five picks trade value completely changes. I'm guessing teams would be reluctant to trade out.

The 1st round teams who i could see taking him are.

Detroit (Making a very talented front 4) - But i think they'd prefer OL or CB
Cleveland - But could be thinking QB
Jacksonville - But could go do anything e.g last year
Carolina - I think they would go for him or a WR
Tampa Bay - In my opinion would go WR or DE maybe even RB

The rest:
Buffalo - will go QB
St Louis - WR

The good thing about this scenario for us is we have a QB and are solid at OT at the moment. These are usually the Blue Chip picks at this spot in the draft. That narrows our picks down to CB, 3-4 DE, 3-4 OLB and maybe WR (Jones or Green). The reason i love this is because say oakland pick 6-8. In my opinion at least 3 of the teams picking infront of us will be picking players we weren't going to pick anyway.

I could easily see it Going
1.) Buffalo - QB Luck e.t.c
2.) St Louis - WR Green
3.) Detroit - OL Costonzo e.t.c
4.) Cleveland - DL Clayborne/heyward, CB Peterson, QB
5.) Tampa - Could Go DE
6.) Oakland - Us but we would have the number 1 or 2 on our total board

So what happens if Quinn doesn't declare for the 2011 NFL Draft? Mass suicide among draftniks?

Buffalo will stick with Fitzptarick, there favourites for Quinn IMHO

I honestly haven't been following the draft prospects for a while and I don't know much about Quinn. Would you mind filling me in on who exactly this kid is?

:D

Scott Wright's got us taking Von Miller and Mark Ingram in the first round.

I like Miller for a one gap 3-4 but he's lighter than Hughes and the Pats passed on him. Also Hughes was an all academic.

I honestly haven't been following the draft prospects for a while and I don't know much about Quinn. Would you mind filling me in on who exactly this kid is?

:D

Sure thing. In high school, Robert Quinn was diagnosed with a brain tumor, and told that he would never be able to play sports of any kind again, let alone the violent collision sport of football. He proved the doctors wrong; not only did he get back on the gridiron, but he went on to win the state heavyweight wrestling championship for the second year in a row. He enrolled at North Carolina, and soon drew comparisons to former UNC great Julius Peppers, whose speed and agility numbers he has apparently surpassed (although that's an unsubstantiated rumor). In his sophomore year, he recorded 11.5 sacks and 19 tackles for a loss, with 64 tackles total--essentially, he lived in the opponent's backfield, and proved relentless as both a pass-rusher and in pursuit on running plays.

These two short videos should give you an idea of why Pats fans are excited about the prospect of drafting this guy. He would give us an instant Willie McGinest type flying off the edge.

YouTube - Robert Quinn vs. Anthony Castonzo

YouTube - Robert Quinn vs. Virginia ('09)

Enjoy the carnage. :D

Sure thing. In high school, Robert Quinn was diagnosed with a brain tumor, and told that he would never be able to play sports of any kind again, let alone the violent collision sport of football. He proved the doctors wrong; not only did he get back on the gridiron, but he went on to win the state heavyweight wrestling championship for the second year in a row. He enrolled at North Carolina, and soon drew comparisons to former UNC great Julius Peppers, whose speed and agility numbers he has apparently surpassed (although that's an unsubstantiated rumor). In his sophomore year, he recorded 11.5 sacks and 19 tackles for a loss, with 64 tackles total--essentially, he lived in the opponent's backfield, and proved relentless as both a pass-rusher and in pursuit on running plays.

These two short videos should give you an idea of why Pats fans are excited about the prospect of drafting this guy. He would give us an instant Willie McGinest type flying off the edge.

I haven't watched the videos yet, but man, what an incredible story. Thanks a lot!

YouTube - Robert Quinn vs. Anthony Castonzo

YouTube - Robert Quinn vs. Virginia ('09)

I did not get excited at watching Quinn play the run. BC had success running striaght at him. He could not anchor or set an edge. He needs to get better against the run to survive in our defense.

I did not get excited at watching Quinn play the run. BC had success running striaght at him. He could not anchor or set an edge. He needs to get better against the run to survive in our defense.

I understand that it's a concern, but it didn't seem as bad to me as it did to you. Perhaps we have different standards? I'd like to improve my understanding of the game, though, so if you could point out to me 1) what in particular he does poorly on plays he's pushed back, and 2) how he could improve (hand placement, leverage, technique, etc), I'd appreciate it.

To be fair, though, he was playing against the consensus #1 tackle in the draft, and seemed to more hold his own for the course of the game.

I don't see the appeal. Quinn is not a fit for the Pats, regardless of how he interviews. The video shows him playing 4-3 DE, which is precisely what he is. He's gonna end up with Tampa or some crummy team like that.

Scouting reports have him at 280# which is too light for a DE in our scheme. All our ends are 300-310# on the light side. Warren and Brace are both much heavier. Brace is 330 and could play NT. If he could get it, I think BB would have three athletic NTs across our front.

If you want to project him as an OLB in our system, we need to see him drop into coverage at least... well at least every once in a while. I would settle for once. He's got great agility to turn the corner in a pass rush, but can he drop backwards and cover a tight end or a running back in the passing game? He's never been asked to do it at NC, that I can tell.

Let's not get to jazzed about Robert Quinn. I don't think BB is going to switch to a 4-3 base D just to accomodate this guy. And he's not going to spend a top-5 pick to convert 4-3 DE into an OLB prospect, if the guy has never done in college what we're going to ask him to do as a pro.

First off, he's about 260. Second, almost every single pro 34 OLB started off as a DE in college, and very few have experience dropping back into coverage more than once or twice a game. Quinn as the athleticism. Will he be the pick? Probably not. Until then, it's nice to dream about adding a pass-rushing terror to the Patriots.

I don't see the appeal. Quinn is not a fit for the Pats, regardless of how he interviews. The video shows him playing 4-3 DE, which is precisely what he is. He's gonna end up with Tampa or some crummy team like that.

Scouting reports have him at 280# which is too light for a DE in our scheme. All our ends are 300-310# on the light side. Warren and Brace are both much heavier. Brace is 330 and could play NT. If he could get it, I think BB would have three athletic NTs across our front.

If you want to project him as an OLB in our system, we need to see him drop into coverage at least... well at least every once in a while. I would settle for once. He's got great agility to turn the corner in a pass rush, but can he drop backwards and cover a tight end or a running back in the passing game? He's never been asked to do it at NC, that I can tell.

Let's not get to jazzed about Robert Quinn. I don't think BB is going to switch to a 4-3 base D just to accomodate this guy. And he's not going to spend a top-5 pick to convert 4-3 DE into an OLB prospect, if the guy has never done in college what we're going to ask him to do as a pro.

Has he even played a single snap this year?? How does he 'improve' while under investigation?

From what I have seen I agree, just another 4-3 end with a lot of athleticism. I'll pass, especially in the top 10?? Romeus is another 4-3 end that people think can play OLB. Jack Crawford seems to be in the same boat.

No thanks.

So I'm not just dissing on Robert Quinn, I thought I'd find someone who feels like a legitimate OLB prospect for us.

Here's one. Jeremy Beal, 260#
YouTube - Jeremy Beal vs. Tulsa (2009)

What I like
- he plays standing up
- he plays in a 3-pt stance
- he gets to the QB
- he forces a fumble
- he controls his blocker then sheds to stop the run
- he drops into coverage

In the video, he over-pursues a few times, but he impressed me with his discipline against the run. He's 260# and plays for a competitive team. And he flashes some real ability as a pass rusher, too. Versatility is king. And best of all, he's not going to cost us a top-10 pick.

In this one video, he's shown me more about what we'd need an OLB to do in our scheme than Quinn has. This guy would be probably be starting for us opposite Cunningham if he was on our roster right now.

In this one video, he's shown me more about what we'd need an OLB to do in our scheme than Quinn has. This guy would be probably be starting for us opposite Cunningham if he was on our roster right now.

I see a lot of Cunningham in Beal. They are about the same size and they have similar playing styles. Both are penetrators, not really speed rushers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down