PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Importance of the #3 Seed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well seeing as the highest the Pats could aim is #3, and seeing as the Bolts are going to be #1, and seeing as that means the Pats wouldn't have to face the Bolts until the AFCC if we make it that far if we're #3, I say go for #3. Besides it's always good to finish the season on a high note.
Pats have to make it in first. I bet Belichick and company would dictate 20 one handed pushups and 20 laps if anyone gets caught talking playoffs.

What I also wanted to say is: A Daisuke sighting! Some football only bigots here will give you s h i t. :)

...I don't think anyone doubts the Pats can win their home game in the wildcard round. The question then is who they play next.

Um, I think I'm as much of a homer as the next guy when it comes to believing in the team I've watched and supported for over 30 years, but exactly which team are you talking about here? The one that has already lost at home to the Colts, Broncos and (gag!) the Jets, or are you talking about some other team?

I like our chances in Foxboro in January as much as anybody but I'd be dumb not to have doubts. I actually like our chances better against an inexperienced Rivers in the playoffs (BB always seems to figure out how to confuse guys like him) than I do against a team like the Broncos, whom we could well get in the Wild Card Round (not that we're even in the Playoffs yet).

So, one step at a time. Let's clinch the division, hopefully rest our starters in Nashville and be ready for a tough game in the Wild Card round.

The key word I used is "can." I hardly think the first round game is a lock. But since the purpose of the thread was to discuss the benefits of #3 vs. #4 I wasn't analyzing the first game.

Belichek does gameplan well against rookie QBs. That said, the Chargers are clearly the team to avoid at this point.

I like our chances in Foxboro in January as much as anybody but I'd be dumb not to have doubts. I actually like our chances better against an inexperienced Rivers in the playoffs (BB always seems to figure out how to confuse guys like him) than I do against a team like the Broncos, whom we could well get in the Wild Card Round (not that we're even in the Playoffs yet).

So you think BB can confuse a third year pro (a first year starter), but you don't think he could confuse a true rookie - who by Wild Card weekend will have started a whopping 5 games in the NFL? :confused:

Pats have to make it in first. I bet Belichick and company would dictate 20 one handed pushups and 20 laps if anyone gets caught talking playoffs.

What I also wanted to say is: A Daisuke sighting! Some football only bigots here will give you s h i t. :)

Yeah I know BB and company are all for the one game at a time approach. And that's fine since it works. But that's not binding to the fans! Big picture, if we get #3 seed we improve our chances a lot so that's what I'm hoping we can get. Just 2 more wins by the Pats should seal the deal.

PS Yup I got a Dice-K banner. Go ahead and give me crap for it but it was too sweet NOT to use!

I think there's an excellent chance of Baltimore losing to Pitt and Buffalo, a better chance than Indy losing two. The problem is us winning both our games. Chances are we'll end up as the #4 seed.

I agree that playing SD in their 1st playoff game is the best shot at knocking them off. Rivers and the Chargers would be cursing their luck having the #1 seed and bye, and having to face NE in their 1st playoff game. I wish Junior were available for THAT game.

With respect to the #2 seed, here's a concise, pithy way of putting it, from Tomase's piece in today's Herald:

"The Pats take to the road for season-ending contests against Jacksonville and Tennessee still with an outside shot at earning a first-round playoff bye. They must win out and hope that two out of San Diego, Indianapolis and Baltimore finish with fewer than 12 victories."

QB12

Well, it's concise & pithy but sort of misleading. San Diego already has 12 wins.

PS Yup I got a Dice-K banner. Go ahead and give me crap for it but it was too sweet NOT to use!
Not me. I've got enough fan energy/paranoia for the Patriots and the Red Sox. Celtics too if they ever get it back together.

Advantages to being #3:

-Play the #6 seed (though in '06 there isn't much difference between 5/6)
-Guaranteed to play #2 in the divisional (if we win the WC game)
-Chance we may host the title game if #1 (San Diego) is upset

Disadvantages:

-The #6 seed could be "better" than #5 at that point, or just a team you have problems with (see Denver)
-The #2 gets to focus their preparation for the bye week on the #3 team (4,5 not as much)

Whoever they play in the AFC is going to be tough, especially with their lackluster passing game.

Lets make the playoffs and get the highest seed we can. To worry about who we should play ot not play is not a good sign.
If we play like we can; we can beat anyone. If we turn the ball over and have no offense any team can beat up. There are no Super teams yet in this years playoffs. Whoever gets hot will win it. The Steelers are still alive and could be a force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots