PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The importance of extending Gaffney and Caldwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would the Patriots care if they leave? They let Givens leave and Branch left, Brady may care but I don't think the FO is concerned one way or the other.

These guys seem to be ok , 2nd and 3rd WRs but can easily be replaced or upgraded. I think they are fine with one of them or both of them hitting free agency after 2007. As far as roster building moves this is a low priority.

Well, the FO isn't the one throwing the ball, is it? At some point, Brady has to go to the FO and say he needs some continuity on the offensive side of the ball. Thse guys has their chances, this should be their home. Extending them will be very cheap. They know this is the only system they have succeeded in. Lock them up, hope Jackson emerges, bring a solid addition to our WR core and our troubles on the offensive side of the ball are gone. That's assuming Daniels continues to improve as a coach as well.

Why would the Patriots care if they leave? They let Givens leave and Branch left, Brady may care but I don't think the FO is concerned one way or the other.

These guys seem to be ok , 2nd and 3rd WRs but can easily be replaced or upgraded. I think they are fine with one of them or both of them hitting free agency after 2007. As far as roster building moves this is a low priority.
How can you separate those two things, i.e., Brady caring but not the front office? If they continue to not find a way to keep some continuity in the Brady - WRs situation, I wouldn't blame Tom for looking elsewhere. Very fast answer to my own question, I think solidifying WR is job 1 for the FO. Well, 1A with more speed on defense, especially linebacker.

First of all, I enjoy your posts, but in this case, I disagree. The Pats have had a lot of trouble integrating WRs into their system, from vets like Gabriel with obvious talent to first-round cast-offs like Terrell, to big fast second-round picks with great hands, like BJ and CJ. I haven't written off CJ by any means, but I haven't written him in, either.

Gaffney and Caldwell worked out well, as did Branch and Givens, but at least as many have not and for most of this season it looked pretty bad out there. It's a shame, given the obvious talent behind center.

So my initial thought was that they should extend G & C, because that's how you build depth. It seems this is the time to do it, when it's not expensive. But it will be no more expensive this summer.

You see, I'd also like to see them get a WR in FA. If they don't bring in an obvious (and I mean obvious) star, they should sign a WR in the draft. Bring some competition in TC, because this is not a strength of the team.

Then, if Jackson and any draftees or FA signees beat out G & C for the top spots, it lowers the price of the extension.

So all in all, if I'm BB, I'm planning on some WR acquisitions, and I'm waiting for TC to decide how much to offer G&C.

We need to get a an offense that can be understood by our receivers, or we need to get much better receivers. We now have four receivers that we considered first round quality receivers in their respective drafts: Graham, Gaffney, Caldwell and Jackson. For all, the answer seems to be that they can't seem to understand our offense.

Rather than worrying about extending Caldwell's contract, shouldn't we focus on getting Caldwell to extend his arms when catching the ball?:confused:

We would only know to extend or resign Gaffney if he has a really good year. Unless they have amazing years they shouldnt be hard to resign.

Rather than worrying about extending Caldwell's contract, shouldn't we focus on getting Caldwell to extend his arms when catching the ball?:confused:
He has alligator arms? I thought he caught too much with his body instead of his hands when the ball was heading into his breadbasket.

How can you separate those two things, i.e., Brady caring but not the front office? If they continue to not find a way to keep some continuity in the Brady - WRs situation, I wouldn't blame Tom for looking elsewhere. Very fast answer to my own question, I think solidifying WR is job 1 for the FO. Well, 1A with more speed on defense, especially linebacker.

Did they poll the locker room when they let Milloy go? or Adam V.? or Givens? or when Branch left? Willie M? etc., etc. etc.

BB & SP are heartless and uncaring, and that is exactly why they are so good. I think they draft a WR on day 1 and Jackson and this draft pick become the future of the position. Caldwell and Gaffney become players who are nice to sign at vet minimum but are nothing special. If the FO looks at them and sees a production / value combo they like then maybe they make a deal but likely not until after 2007. They could rightfully think that their system (and Tom Brady) made these players and they can go out and get them same production from other lower price FAs or even street FAs. We aren't talking about Rice and Taylor.

Last edited:
Both are signed through 2007 however Gaffney certainly deserves a new contract based on his performance in the playoff's. Caldwell however had 2 key drops which says he won't be extended anytime soon.

Did they poll the locker room when they let Milloy go? or Adam V.? or Givens? or when Branch left? Willie M? etc., etc. etc.

BB & SP are heartless and uncaring, and that is exactly why they are so good. I think they draft a WR on day 1 and Jackson and this draft pick become the future of the position. Caldwell and Gaffney become players who are nice to sign at vet minimum but are nothing special. If the FO looks at them and sees a production / value combo they like then maybe they make a deal but likely not until after 2007. They could rightfully think that their system (and Tom Brady) made these players and they can go out and get them same production from other lower price FAs or even street FAs. We aren't talking about Rice and Taylor.

This shows you haven't followed this team worth a damn. Particularly mentioning Milloy and Vinatieri.

1) ALL of the players mentioned could have stayed with the Patriots. They were offered VERY lucrative deals.

2) Since you need to be reminded, the Pats were hit with a TON of injuries prior to the end of Training camp in 2003. Because of all the players on IR, the Pats were roughly 2 million OVER the cap. The only player who hadn't redone their contract and the Pats felt they had enough depth at the position was Milloy and his 5+ million cap hit. It was a business move.

3) Vinatieri - liar said he wanted to come back but then refused to even give the Pats a chance to match an offer. Therefore, he doesn't know where the Pats would have been with their counter.

4) Willie McGinest - The Pats offered to restructure his deal to keep him in a Pats uniform for the rest of his career. Rumor has it that WIllie KNEW he was going to be cut and his agent had already orchestrated a deal with the Browns.

5) Branch and Givens - Branch felt he deserved to be treated better than Brady and Seymour. Givens wanted the chance to be a #1. Branch lied to everyone and said he'd play out his contract. The Pats drafted Jackson and signed Caldwel, figuring that Branch was a man of his word. You keep blaming the Pats for that, but its just frigging absurd that you blame the Pats because of your acknowledged ignorance of the situation.

6) If this season proved ANYTHING, its that there needs to be some continuity at the receiver position. A wholesale changeover like what happened this year can't happen again after the 2008 season. If it does, then the Pats are in for a world of hurt.

Objective as usual. Rhetorical question: Has there ever been a situation that the Patriots FO misjudged a situation or could have done a better job?

I wasn't analyzing the moves from a cap or personnel standpoint, the original question was that the FO would consult with Brady (or any other player) when making roster decisions. My response was that the FO does not factor player "feelings" when making moves. And based on the roster turnover each year continuity is not a especially important. Of the players from the 2004 Superbowl 53 man roster, 22 are no longer on the team.
http://slam.canoe.ca/StatsFBP/BC-FBP-LGNS-NEWENGLANDROS-R.html

A lot can happen between now and 2008, at least 1, maybe 2 new WRs will be brought into the mix this year. It is way too earlier to assume that Jerry Rice Caldwell or Terry Holt Gaffney are the long term answer. Both guys played well in 2006 but are hardly irreplaceable and this is far from a priority off-season move.

6) If this season proved ANYTHING, its that there needs to be some continuity at the receiver position. A wholesale changeover like what happened this year can't happen again after the 2008 season. If it does, then the Pats are in for a world of hurt.

Well, the FO isn't the one throwing the ball, is it? At some point, Brady has to go to the FO and say he needs some continuity on the offensive side of the ball. Thse guys has their chances, this should be their home. Extending them will be very cheap. They know this is the only system they have succeeded in. Lock them up, hope Jackson emerges, bring a solid addition to our WR core and our troubles on the offensive side of the ball are gone. That's assuming Daniels continues to improve as a coach as well.

Agree for the most part. Brady does need the contnuity of having these guys around again, they both improved dramatically by the end of the year. Would like to see Caldwell get over his drops at times of stress before we marry him, tho. CJ has a lot of promise and BB has voiced confidence in him. I'm a little leery of how effective Troy would be if he does come back. Would like to see a FA slot rec. Welker would be ideal, IMO. Brandon Stokely, a long shot coming off an IR year, could be a cap casualty. Also, Mills may show some ability in that role. May pick up a sleeper in the draft as well. Really don't see us having more than 2 wides on the field all that much. Watson and Thomas should see plenty of opportunities, whether Grahm stays or not.

I hope both are resigned and we go get a free agent we should be in great shape.

Why is it so important for the patriots to have continuity at the reeiver position to have an effective offense? I would suggest that you consider one of the best offenses of 2006, the New Orleans Saints. What continuity did they have? I submit that it is not continuity that is needed, simply better receivers.

This shows you haven't followed this team worth a damn. Particularly mentioning Milloy and Vinatieri.

1) ALL of the players mentioned could have stayed with the Patriots. They were offered VERY lucrative deals.

2) Since you need to be reminded, the Pats were hit with a TON of injuries prior to the end of Training camp in 2003. Because of all the players on IR, the Pats were roughly 2 million OVER the cap. The only player who hadn't redone their contract and the Pats felt they had enough depth at the position was Milloy and his 5+ million cap hit. It was a business move.

3) Vinatieri - liar said he wanted to come back but then refused to even give the Pats a chance to match an offer. Therefore, he doesn't know where the Pats would have been with their counter.

4) Willie McGinest - The Pats offered to restructure his deal to keep him in a Pats uniform for the rest of his career. Rumor has it that WIllie KNEW he was going to be cut and his agent had already orchestrated a deal with the Browns.

5) Branch and Givens - Branch felt he deserved to be treated better than Brady and Seymour. Givens wanted the chance to be a #1. Branch lied to everyone and said he'd play out his contract. The Pats drafted Jackson and signed Caldwel, figuring that Branch was a man of his word. You keep blaming the Pats for that, but its just frigging absurd that you blame the Pats because of your acknowledged ignorance of the situation.

Why is it so important for the patriots to have continuity at the reeiver position to have an effective offense? I would suggest that you consider one of the best offenses of 2006, the New Orleans Saints. What continuity did they have? I submit that it is not continuity that is needed, simply better receivers.
Bad example. They also had a new QB and coach.

I submit that it is not continuity that is needed, simply better receivers.
People here have become amazingly content with total mediocrity at WR.

I expect a first day WR to combine with Jackson to give us some upside for 2007 and also potential starters for 2008. Caldwell and Gaffney are OK but there's a reason teams attack our run game like they don't give a crap about our WR - it's because they don't. Best case, Jackson develops and starts with Caldwell bumping Gaffney to #3 with Brown and a first day rookie at 4 & 5.

People here have become amazingly content with total mediocrity at WR.

I expect a first day WR to combine with Jackson to give us some upside for 2007 and also potential starters for 2008. Caldwell and Gaffney are OK but there's a reason teams attack our run game like they don't give a crap about our WR - it's because they don't. Best case, Jackson develops and starts with Caldwell bumping Gaffney to #3 with Brown and a first day rookie at 4 & 5.
Mediocrity? Phil Simms quoted Belichick before the Jets playoff game as saying the passing game was looking as good as it had ever looked.

Then we came out and, in three very well played playoff games, our passing offense looked pretty damn good. Especially Gaffney.

Obviously with the cap space and upcoming draft there are lots of options on the table for us. However, I feel two of the best options are to extend the contracts of Gaffney and Caldwell (presumably on the cheap). The hit/miss rate on highly rated wide receivers is 50% - it gets worse as you go deeper in the draft, and you have to wait a couple years for the good ones to pan out anyway. Veteran wide receivers also have a hit/miss ratio of 50% on this team, as for every Gaffney there is a Gabriel, and for every Caldwell there is Hayes. There aren't many wide receivers out there that out-talent Caldwell and Gaffney, and who knows if they'd pick up the offense.

So I look for the Pats to extend one, if not both. of these receivers. From there they hope Jackson develops, ask Troy Brown to return as the #4, and maybe take a mid-round guy to be #5, if they're high on him. They can always "red-shirt" him if they find another veteran they like (Jonathan Smith? Kevin Johnson? Bam or Kight?), plus put another low-round guy on the practice squad (and Bam is still PS eligible). I think having two rookies, plus red-shirt rookie Chad Jackson, at the position is stretching the position thin next year.

Of course, it may be that neither Caldwell nor Gaffney want to be extended, and instead use their newfound glory as de facto starters in the Pats offense as the springboard to their BIG SECOND (or third and fourth, respectively) CONTRACT. It may well turn out that the Pats will have to prepare for massive receiver turnover again next year, and will grab the high rookie WR this year to compensate, but I don't think the Pats will let that happen willingly. They'll try to lock up their wide receivers this offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back