PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The IF thread: if Player X becomes available, should Pats pursue him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't Gaffney like 100 now...it's not like he was a Speed guy. We NEED Speed not more slow guys we already have Welker.:p:D

Gaffney turned 31 in December. He isn't that old.

Gaffney is not as athletic as Lloyd, but similar statistically. Especially in this offense. Plus, he would be insanely cheaper.

Sign a veteran TE to block & allow to play more as a rec'r, add Gaffney, add 2 rookie WR, re-sign Branch. Not bad. Plus, Vereen should add a VERY nice rec'ing option out of the backfield.

Use that Lloyd $ to invest in the D.

Gaffney would not replace Lloyd. He is not a #1 WR. The Pats would most likely get Gaffney and Lloyd or Wallace not either.

The addition of Gaffney would most likely be to replace Branch and/or Ochocinco as the #3 WR after Lloyd/Wallace and Welker.

Last edited:
I'll take Gaffney over Ochostinko any day of the week.

Re: Is Jared Allen out of reach?

For this money we can get Carter, Anderson AND that first round pick signed. A malcontent like Marshall can get 2 3rds, no way you let a sack leader go for a 3rd....Minny fans would go APE>>>>

talk about throwing random names out there

Actually my first reaction was that for $11MM you could get BOTH Anderson and Carter resigned and have plenty left over. But this is a way you could get it done.

First you give the Vikings something like a 3rd in 2013 for relieving them of that financial burden. Then you get get Allen to sign a new contract. You give him the 25MM he has coming from the Jets only you spread it out over a 5 year contract. He probably has 2 very good years left and what dead money hit the Pats take 3 or 4 years down the road, will be eaten up by the expected $40MM cap increase in 2014 Now you get him for a cap hit this year of 4-6MM. Now Carter is redundant and we easily afford to sign Anderson.

Now that would be a serious pass rush. Of course the contract stuff would have to be worked out before the trade.

Kidding aside, I'm shocked you see this as possible. Franchise gives up league leading pass rusher for a THIRD? And a 2013 third to boot.

W

T

F

???

If I missed the sarcasm, my bad

Last edited:

Trades like these will get you fired in NFL. taking a cornor stone of your defense you played a fortune in money and draft picks and then moving him in his prime when he is being a good player is a career killer.

the viking FO should be fired for this deal...maybe they can throw in peterson for a 7th too while at it.

He is okay sign him as your 3rd or 4th guy

but man our issue is defense and we have not Nada!!!

The "IF" thread

We now have several threads asking IF this guy gets released or IF this guy was available for trade should the Patriots sign so and so.

These threads have one common theme, there is no rumor or even link to a rumor that this or that guy is even on the verge of being cut, released, or otherwise available. But the OP thinks/hopes that it might happen or a good idea if the Patriots pursue a player in a trade.

Nothing wrong with that line of thinking. But right now most of us are checking in to see if anything is really happening. Those threads are kinda distracting and intially giving a spark of false hope until it's read and found to be a "what if" thread.

So rather than have several more of those types of threads, why don't your well thought out senarios on this one thread. Certainly if something becomes more than a dream to a red hot rumor with a semi-credible link, then jump on it and post the thread.

Buccaneers release center Jeff Faine, any interest?

Buccaneers release center Jeff Faine, any interest at the right price?

Re: Buccaneers release center Jeff Faine, any interest?

He sucks. The fact the Buccs have released him, says a lot.

First Fanene and then Faine?

I see what you did there... :p

Last edited:

Buccaneers release center Jeff Faine, any interest at the right price?

Faine has plenty left in the tank. Tampa Bay was eventually going to move Jeremy Zuttah from left guard to center, and once they added Carl Nicks the timetable was setup for that to become now rather than later. Ted larsen can become the backup interior lineman.

Faine was set to make over $5.9 million this year and $7 million next year, and had a cap number of almost $8 million this year. Obviously he's not going to get that from the Pats or any other NFL team. The biggest red flag is his health and not what he might be looking to make though; he has missed games every year since 2008. He missed four games in 2009 due to a triceps injury, and then in 2010 he missed eight games due to injuries to his triceps and quad muscles. Last year he missed one game due to another triceps injury; that's 13 games missed in the last three seasons.

I've met Faine before; he's a genuinely good guy that wants very much to win and would be a good teammate in the locker room; I could definitely see him buying in to the "Patriot Way" and being available at a decent price. The injury history is a concern though. Everything considered I would much prefer the younger, bigger, and less injury prone Connolly. I would only want to consider him as a Plan B if Connolly signs elsewhere.

Last edited:

Faine would I stay away. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back