Welcome to PatsFans.com

The human toll of Katrina

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by OhExaulted1, Feb 2, 2006.

1. OhExaulted1

OhExaulted1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +400 / 13 / -27

#15 Jersey

The official combined (direct and indirect) death toll now stands at 1,417, the fourth or fifth highest in U.S. history (behind the Galveston Hurricane of 1900, the Okeechobee Hurricane of 1928, the 1893 Chenier Caminanda Hurricane, and possibly the 1893 Sea Islands Hurricane). As of January 18, 2006, more than 3,200 people remain unaccounted for, so the death toll may still grow. [2] As of November 22, 2005, 1,300 of those missing were either in heavily-damaged areas or were disabled and "feared dead"; if all 1,300 of these were to be confirmed dead, Katrina would surpass the Okeechobee Hurricane and become the second-deadliest in US history and deadliest in over a century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Katrina

My wife asked the question while watching the news tonight in which 25 more were confirmed dead (23 in LA and 2 in Miss.). It is astoninishing that 3200 people still are unaccounted for. This disaster is as bad as 9-11 (worse if you count the overall devastation), yet still remains an afterthought to this administration.

This is administration is more committed to rebuilding Iraq than it is to the Gulf Coast. How can they turn their backs on Americans like this?

On a posotive note, the Oil industries infrastructure was priority one and it is better than ever, reflected in their record profits. I guess that's why gas is $1.25 a gallon again like it was when Clinton left office.

2. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +107 / 9 / -14

#37 Jersey

High Definition TV's cost less now than they did back in 1999, damn you Clinton for making the price so high :rolleyes:

15B in funding sent to the gulf coast today, yeah thats being ignored?

3. OhExaulted1

OhExaulted1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +400 / 13 / -27

#15 Jersey

440 billion for Iraq. Do you notice a slight difference? It's hard to pay for a problem at home when your interests are thousands of miles away.

I'd rather see all this money being spent to help Americans, not Iraqi's. It's time to stop babysitting them and let them take over. We have people here in OUR country that need help.

Don't worry about Iraq, Halliburton will take good care of them.

4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +351 / 15 / -12

It does seem like the media has pretty much stopped covering Katrina, so the Rove machine has backed off its compassionate conservativism. With so much damage over such a large area, I'm surprised that there isn't a powerful organized voice. I wonder if that's because the blacks and white victims of the storm aren't working together.

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +813 / 2 / -9

Have no fear, in the near future New Orleans will be another "Beverly Hills", (minorities you know).

I have never heard Uncle Teddy speak of this situation.

There are still poor "Honkies" up in the Ozark Mts that have to eat Squirrels for Sunday dinner, how come we don't send them some "liberal aid".

They probably wouldn't take it anyway, they have no use for Welfare and they "Shoot" do-gooders.