PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Houston game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's rest some guys--- I agree, use it as a bye week. I want no part of that Pittsburgh passing attack.

It DOES matter who we play.
You can back into the playoffs, but you can't back your way THROUGH the playoffs. You want to be World Champion, then be the best team in the NFL and beat the other teams.

Play whoever is on the scheduleand and beat them.

Houston? If Brady is doing well, play him most of the game. Get that rhythm going. If he/the offense is struggling, play him until they are smooth or until the 4th quarter.

Play to win but I agree with you

I think that Brady, Moss, Welker, Warren, Neal, and Wilfork should be inactive for the Houston game.
This is wrong on so many levels.

The only difference there is that BB knew before the game that by losing he would sidestep Pitt and play Jax. This year, there's no way to "pick" an opponent, so it's not exactly the same situation. I still think guys that are banged up will not play, but that otherwise the Pats will play to win.

Well, lose and sidestep Pitt.

I can't think of a better parallel really.

You're not going to get a better comparison again.

If the Patriots lose to the Texans, Pitt is practically done for.

They would need every other team to lose (Jets, Ravens, Broncos).

So, it is more similar than you realize.

No, Den would be out if Pitt wins. Pitt holds head-to-head tiebreaker. Den absolutely NEEDS Houston to beat the Patriots.
Nope.
NFL 2009 Playoff Race - CBSSports.com

Denver is in if:

Denver can clinch a playoff spot with:

a win (vs. Kansas City) and a N.Y. Jets loss loss or tie (vs. Cincinnati) and a Baltimore loss or tie (vs. Oakland) OR

a win and a N.Y. Jets loss or tie and a Pittsburgh loss or tie (vs. Miami) OR

a win and a N.Y. Jets loss or tie and a Houston win (vs. New England) OR

a win and a Baltimore loss or tie and a Pittsburgh loss or tie OR

a win and a Baltimore loss or tie and a Houston win OR

a Pittsburgh loss and a Baltimore loss and a Houston loss and a Jacksonville loss (vs. Cleveland) OR

a Pittsburgh loss and a Baltimore loss and a Houston loss and a N.Y. Jets loss OR

Pittsburgh loss and a Baltimore loss and a Jacksonville loss and a N.Y. Jets loss OR

Pittsburgh loss and a Houston loss and a Jacksonville loss and a N.Y. Jets loss OR

Miami loss or tie (vs. Pittsburgh) and a N.Y. Jets loss and a Baltimore loss and a Houston loss and a Jacksonville loss or tie

My big thing is, do not leave Brady and the injured out there UNLESS we are going full steam. In other words, if you need to sit Neal, rest Moss because of back trouble, etc., do NOT play Brady. Or not for long anyway.

If you're going to play your best guys, then play them and do not let up. The worst thing would be to put Brady out there and play a half-arsed game.

Make a choice and stick to it. Don't mix and match. If you're going to pull guys like Neal and Moss, etc., then pull Brady and Welker too!

Nope.
NFL 2009 Playoff Race - CBSSports.com

Denver is in if:

Denver can clinch a playoff spot with:

a win (vs. Kansas City) and a N.Y. Jets loss loss or tie (vs. Cincinnati) and a Baltimore loss or tie (vs. Oakland) OR

a win and a N.Y. Jets loss or tie and a Pittsburgh loss or tie (vs. Miami) OR

a win and a N.Y. Jets loss or tie and a Houston win (vs. New England) OR

a win and a Baltimore loss or tie and a Pittsburgh loss or tie OR

a win and a Baltimore loss or tie and a Houston win OR

a Pittsburgh loss and a Baltimore loss and a Houston loss and a Jacksonville loss (vs. Cleveland) OR

a Pittsburgh loss and a Baltimore loss and a Houston loss and a N.Y. Jets loss OR

Pittsburgh loss and a Baltimore loss and a Jacksonville loss and a N.Y. Jets loss OR

Pittsburgh loss and a Houston loss and a Jacksonville loss and a N.Y. Jets loss OR

Miami loss or tie (vs. Pittsburgh) and a N.Y. Jets loss and a Baltimore loss and a Houston loss and a Jacksonville loss or tie

Pitt holds a head-to-head adv. against Den. How am I wrong? Den. is not the second seed at this point, Baltimore is. Read through the thread. A lot of people went through this already.

What's so mysterious about that? It's simple, cut and dry.

Now, CBS isn't wrong, but it also doesn't contradict what I'm saying. I was responding to someone about Pitt and Den scenarios in which they are competing for the last spot. This is what I responded to:

Baltimore will probably beat Oakland, which means they are in. If Cincy decides to go all out and the Jets lose, then I think Denver sneaks in. I think that we will end up hosting Baltimore or Denver, both rematches.

If Den and Pitt are competing for the last spot, then Houston MUST win for Den to get in. Otherwise, Den is locked up with Pitt, and they lose that battle head-to-head. So, Balt and Den couldn't end up with the two wild cards unless the Jets, Pitt and/or New England lose.

Last edited:
My big thing is, do not leave Brady and the injured out there UNLESS we are going full steam. In other words, if you need to sit Neal, rest Moss because of back trouble, etc., do NOT play Brady. Or not for long anyway.

If you're going to play your best guys, then play them and do not let up. The worst thing would be to put Brady out there and play a half-arsed game.

Make a choice and stick to it. Don't mix and match. If you're going to pull guys like Neal and Moss, etc., then pull Brady and Welker too!

I agree 100% and don't think this is even a question for the coaches. No way would they put Brady in with a half-ARSEnal

If Houston's pass rush is anything like Jacksonville's, I say play Brady for 4 quarters. But, if it goes anything like the Giants game of '07, say hello to Hoyer. Either way, we probably wont know who our wildcard opponent is until Monday morning anyway.

If Houston's pass rush is anything like Jacksonville's, I say play Brady for 4 quarters. But, if it goes anything like the Giants game of '07, say hello to Hoyer. Either way, we probably wont know who our wildcard opponent is until Monday morning anyway.

Mario Williams is dangerous, 34 sacks the last 3 years.

It's highly likely that we know our wild card opponent by 4 pm on Sunday.

If Baltimore wins, we play Baltimore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back