PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Houston game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steelers get ahead of Den in a two-way tie, and Den gets ahead of the Steelers in a 3-way tie (except if the 3rd team is Baltimore).

Baltimore should be the #2 seed currently on everyone's card.

ahh...

i'm so confused. i'm just glad we are IN and don't have to rely on any scenarios about this team winning and that team losing, etc.

We should play this game to win. The Pats could use another quality road win, especially against a legitimate team with a high-powered passing attack like the Texans. That would be a good confidence booster for the defense. We need every opportunity we can get to improve. The Texans will be going all out and if we can beat them, that would be great for us.

Forget that ninny "let's rest our best players" crap. At least play them for three quarters. We need to build on what we accomplished yesterday, not forget about it. A loss to the Texans would be no way to start the playoffs.

Players like Fred Taylor could especially use this time to get their feel for the game back. The Texans defense isn't too bad either, and they'll be a good test for our oline with Mario Williams and Antonio Smith.

Last edited:
I wanna see Brady & Moss torch Bernard Pollard.

no, i assume NE wins. I thought Denver can get in by beating KC and a Baltimore loss and Pitt loss. I think Denver getting in is a longer shot, especially since they don't have the tiebreaker over Pitt(head to head).

That is correct. The only way Denver gets in IF the Pats WIN is a Baltimore AND Pittsburgh LOSS. But, in your post above, you assumed the Ravens would beat the Raiders, in which case if that's true and the Pats win, Denver is out. I know...it's mind-numbing.

That is correct. The only way Denver gets in IF the Pats WIN is a Baltimore AND Pittsburgh LOSS. But, in your post above, you assumed the Ravens would beat the Raiders, in which case if that's true and the Pats win, Denver is out. I know...it's mind-numbing.

Just wondering: with so many things going right for you guys this weekend (i.e. Miami, Jax, Den all lost and Pitt won) what was the reaction in Pittsburgh to the playoff situation still being so muddy?

I think the fans were lead to believe a wide lane had opened up for you.

Just wondering: with so many things going right for you guys this weekend (i.e. Miami, Jax, Den all lost and Pitt won) what was the reaction in Pittsburgh to the playoff situation still being so muddy?

Well, I don't live IN the city of Pittsburgh anymore, so I can't say firsthand. But I do know that Steelers fans are beyond pissed that the Colts rolled over yesterday. That was BIG in the grand scheme of things for the Steelers playoff picture. Had Indy won that game, most of us fans would be feeling pretty good going into the final week, where all we would have needed is for a superior Pats to beat an inferior Texans team. There would still be motivation for the Pats to win, to secure the #3 seed, and things would be looking good for us. Now, we need TWO losses. One of which is NOW the late game, where the Bengals might not have any REASON to beat the Jets.

You're right to some extent too, because a LOT of articles etc. had the scenerios wrong going into week 16. Most people weren't too concerned with the Texans, which has turned out to be one of the most crucial steps toward seeing the postseason.

That being said, most of us Pittsburgh fans are pretty realistic. While we HOPE for a playoff spot, we realize that we aren't really that deserving of one. I mean, just ONE win over CHI, OAK, CLE, or KC and we wouldn't be in this predicament. Those are all teams we should have put away easily.

I think the general mentality is "Expect the worse, but hope for the best." I think that's a pretty fair attitude, given the circumstances.

Well, I don't live IN the city of Pittsburgh anymore, so I can't say firsthand. But I do know that Steelers fans are beyond pissed that the Colts rolled over yesterday. That was BIG in the grand scheme of things for the Steelers playoff picture. Had Indy won that game, most of us fans would be feeling pretty good going into the final week, where all we would have needed is for a superior Pats to beat an inferior Texans team. There would still be motivation for the Pats to win, to secure the #3 seed, and things would be looking good for us. Now, we need TWO losses. One of which is NOW the late game, where the Bengals might not have any REASON to beat the Jets.

You're right to some extent too, because a LOT of articles etc. had the scenerios wrong going into week 16. Most people weren't too concerned with the Texans, which has turned out to be one of the most crucial steps toward seeing the postseason.

That being said, most of us Pittsburgh fans are pretty realistic. While we HOPE for a playoff spot, we realize that we aren't really that deserving of one. I mean, just ONE win over CHI, OAK, CLE, or KC and we wouldn't be in this predicament. Those are all teams we should have put away easily.

I think the general mentality is "Expect the worse, but hope for the best." I think that's a pretty fair attitude, given the circumstances.

Gotcha.

It could happen for Pitt if Cincy and the Patriots go all out. The Patriots will play hard until the 4th quarter.

I disagree. You lose a game when it is to your advantage.

Momentum? Momentum is the most overrated intagible of all. Statistical studies show the teams "with momentum" do absolutely no better than teams "without momentum".

The goal is to win the Super Bowl. You do whatever makes the most sense to get there. It's OK to lose some battles if you win the war.

Well, it sounds really familiar! Have we ever heard about anything like this before? Yeah, I think so, the mighty Bill Polian!!!

Coach Belichick will NEVER lose a game on purpose, and I even doubt that he will rest his starter, no matter what!

Also, Pats will have no clue whatsoever about who is gonna be in or out while they are playing the game.

In 2002 World cup soccer, team Korea head coach Hiddink had a chance to choose whom to play at the round of 16. If his team lost, or tied to Portugal at the final round robin game, they could have played Mexico, instead of Italy, which everyone but coach wanted to. He chose to try to win the game and go for the stronger opponent. And, they won against Italy.

Pats gotta play their best football. Momentum DOES matter. To lose a game intentionally to choose seemingly weaker opponent, that is what losers do. We know that. That is Colts history, and will happen again.

What only bothers me is Benard Pollard, though...

Well, it sounds really familiar! Have we ever heard about anything like this before? Yeah, I think so, the mighty Bill Polian!!!

Coach Belichick will NEVER lose a game on purpose, and I even doubt that he will rest his starter, no matter what!

Also, Pats will have no clue whatsoever about who is gonna be in or out while they are playing the game.

In 2002 World cup soccer, team Korea head coach Hiddink had a chance to choose whom to play at the round of 16. If his team lost, or tied to Portugal at the final round robin game, they could have played Mexico, instead of Italy, which everyone but coach wanted to. He chose to try to win the game and go for the stronger opponent. And, they won against Italy.

Pats gotta play their best football. Momentum DOES matter. To lose a game intentionally to choose seemingly weaker opponent, that is what losers do. We know that. That is Colts history, and will happen again.

BB did not try to win the drop-kick game. Nice try though. No one knows what you're talking about with the soccer, btw.

How many times do we need to say this???!!

Belichick already sat his starters in the exact same situation when we played Miami back in 2006!!

Matt Cassel played!!

Yeah, triggerfish pretty well hit it on the head.

A lot of the talk is of Indy laying down (which made it a double chuckle).

All of that said, they still think they have a heck of a chance, as they feel NE will still beat HOU for them--which makes it a one game prime time game where they'll root like hell for the Bengals. They also think Cincy will play all out due to their lack of consistent play lately + they'll still have a slight chance to get the #3 even if NE wins. As NE fans, we need to root for MIN to beat CHI tonight, which would give us a 5 game lead in SoV.

If CHI pulls off the upset, that draws CIN nearer, and they'll have more to play for Sun. night, so PIT fans will be rooting for CHI tonight.

Belichick already sat his starters in the exact same situation when we played Miami back in 2006!!

Matt Cassel played!!

The only difference there is that BB knew before the game that by losing he would sidestep Pitt and play Jax. This year, there's no way to "pick" an opponent, so it's not exactly the same situation. I still think guys that are banged up will not play, but that otherwise the Pats will play to win.

The only difference there is that BB knew before the game that by losing he would sidestep Pitt and play Jax. This year, there's no way to "pick" an opponent, so it's not exactly the same situation. I still think guys that are banged up will not play, but that otherwise the Pats will play to win.

I am starting to tend to agree with this thinking more and more, especially after reading Brady's comments today. It's not like Belichick is going to tip his hand one way or another.

I would have to think we're going to play, at least into the 3rd quarter--just a guess.

Trying to pick these games is almost impossible for this week. You have to look at all of the teams motivation, scenarios, and 2nd team players. You also have to take into acct how things will play out in 1 o'clock games vs. late games etc. This is the most challenging week to try and handicap games, IMO.

Who care about the Houston game? After the tune up at Foxboro in a couple of weeks, I am just looking forward to kicking some dirt on the Colts grave in Indy and then doing the Lord's work in SD in the AFC Championship.

YouTube - San Diego Super Chargers

Matt Cassel played!!

Yeah in 2005 he did tank that game. But in 2006 we were in pretty much the same situation and he played that game to win, until the game was out of hand and Testeverde came in. So it's 50-50 right now. The more I think about it the more unsure I am of what he's going to do, but I'm unfortunately leaning towards thinking everyone healthy plays. Anyways, BB and the players know better than anyone who needs a breather if anybody does so I will just trust him on this one.

I can't believe people actually believe that went into BB's thinking. We almost won that game anyway, but then people said Cassel was instructed to intentionally missed a TD at the end of the game. I didn't buy it then and I probably never will.

BB will continue to do what is best for HIS team, and that is not deciding who to play in the first round.

I'm not too sure what he'll decide this year. On the one hand, the rest will help and I believe he thinks resting in week 17 is a good thing when you don't have a bye (but only when you don't have the bye). On the other hand, we have been very inconsistent this year and only have really one complete game played (JAX) so he may want to continue to work on things in-game going into the playoffs. I'll trust his judgement on which is better for the team.

I can see something like 2-3 quarters of playing starters hard (while resting injured guys like Wilfork earlier).

Last edited:
I can't believe people actually believe that went into BB's thinking. We almost won that game anyway, but then people said Cassel was instructed to intentionally missed a TD at the end of the game. I didn't buy it then and I probably never will.

BB will continue to do what is best for HIS team, and that is not deciding who to play in the first round.

In 2006, BB had the chance to determine the first round opponent. By effectively picking the team that was both weaker and a better matchup for HIS team, he did what was best for HIS team. See how that works? Why would he want to win a meaningless game that (in that year) set up a more difficult playoff road?? And don't give me some any given sunday nonsense. Jax was a FAR better matchup for the Pats that year. Full stop.

Patriots DE Ty Warren said Monday that he doesn't expect to play in Week 17 against the Texans.

"I intend on (resting)," Warren said. "But we’ll see." While Tom Brady, Randy Moss, and Wes Welker all figure to start and play extensively, Warren is among the most likely Patriots to sit out. He's been dealing with an ankle injury nearly all season and re-injured it in Week 16.
Source: Boston Herald

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back