PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The hit on Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueBeliever

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Over the next week I'm willing to bet we're going to hear a lot of talk of how Pollard shouldn't be vilified for the hit on Tom's knee, because he was just trying to finish the play, etc.

I'm also willing to bet that 95% of the pundits/haters that say that will be the same ones who last year wanted Vince Wilfork's head on a pike after his low hit on J.P. Losman (which I still say was unintentional.)

Place yer bets.

didn't wilfork get fined? it was very similar.

Very similar to the Wilfork hit.

.....but, since I didn't thing that one was particularly dirty, I don't this one was either. Will he get fined. NOT A ****ING CHANCE.

Actually, it reminded me more of the Kimo Von Oelhoeffen hit on Carson Palmer....

The league must do something about it his week. Either they don't want the QBs hit low, or they no longer care, in which case it will be open season on QBs around the league.

If they stiff the Pats on this, it'll be one more nail in Goodell's coffin, come time for re-election. He'll be falling out of Kraft's good graces rather rapidly, methinks.

When Wilfork hit Losman, I thought it was nasty, dirty pretty much by definition, but probably not intentional. Same situation here, I think.

Count me in the I don't think it was dirty camp.

It was a cheap shot and the NFL needs to do something about these f#*&# morons who go after QB's knees because the only way they can get to the QB is crawling on the ground.

Actually, it reminded me more of the Kimo Von Oelhoeffen hit on Carson Palmer....

The league must do something about it his week. Either they don't want the QBs hit low, or they no longer care, in which case it will be open season on QBs around the league.

If they stiff the Pats on this, it'll be one more nail in Goodell's coffin, come time for re-election. He'll be falling out of Kraft's good graces rather rapidly, methinks.

I tend to agree. There have been far too many quarterbacks who have suffered season ending/career altering injuries after having a player roll up on their leg. Even many of them who returned after surgery, rehab, etc. were guys who were never really the same afterward.

I know the hit wasn't malicious, but I kind of have to put this in the same category of horse collar tackles. Those weren't intentional either but too many guys suffered severe injuries as a result. Rolling toward a guys knee when you're on the ground or reaching for a QB's leg when your down is just a recipe for disaster as the QB is obviously in an vulnerable spot with all his weight on that leg. Since we've seen plenty of guys get knocked out with knee injuries because of this I think the league should probably decide whether or not to take a guy out of the play when they're on the ground when it comes to the quarterback. That's obviously a difficult thing to police, but I agree that something needs to be done. - Ian

Count me in the I don't think it was dirty camp.

Depends on your definition of dirty, I think. IMO any hit below the knee on a QB is inherently dirty- the question becomes whether or not it's intentional.

This play was dirtier than Wilfork's.

Wilfork's momentum (and the fact that he was pushed) threw him into Losman's knee.

On this play, the defender was already rolling around on teh ground and swiped at brady's leg.

One has a lot more intent than the other.

This play was nearly identical to Wilfork's hit last season. I have the exact same feelings towards this one too. It was nothing more than a defender hustling and trying to disrupt the play any way he could. It just led to an unfortunate injury.

25utbf8.jpg

Video

Last edited:
2 things:

1.) it was dirtier than Wilfork's play
2.) Randy was down?

2 things:

1.) it was dirtier than Wilfork's play
2.) Randy was down?

1. I disagree. It was just like Wilfork's play.

2. He wasn't down by contact. He just fell on his own and coughed up the ball.

if you didn't think the wilfork hit was dirty, i don't see how you can think this one was dirty. Wilfork had momentum yes, but he also raised his elbow at the last second to hit losman - who had thrown the ball well before.

If Pollard made the same hit on Peyton's knees, then the refs would've ejected him from the game and Goodell would've subsequently banned him from the NFL. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
1. I disagree. It was just like Wilfork's play.

2. He wasn't down by contact. He just fell on his own and coughed up the ball.

i thought the ground cant cause a fumble...

At first I didn't think this was a dirty play, but now after seeing the replay a few more times, pollard was down with sammy draped all over him and he then lunges for brady's leg. How is that not a penalty? It wasn't like Wilfork's when the bill's guy fell on him from behind. Sammy had stopped this guy, was on top of his back and then pollard lunges at brady!::confused:

i thought the ground cant cause a fumble...

that's what people say but i feel like no one really knows the rule for sure.

I have no clue.......

At first I didn't think this was a dirty play, but now after seeing the replay a few more times, pollard was down with sammy draped all over him and he then lunges for brady's leg. How is that not a penalty? It wasn't like Wilfork's when the bill's guy fell on him from behind. Sammy had stopped this guy, was on top of his back and then pollard lunges at brady!::confused:

Brady still had the ball in his hand and he was trying to do anything he could to disrupt the play. I'm definately not putting this injury on Pollard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back