Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Hidden Indicator and One Other Thought

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Oswlek, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Oswlek

Oswlek Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

I posted this in the gameplan thread, and it appears that it wasn't the best place to put it.

I welcome your thoughts.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  2. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 1 / -4

I agree that NE has to win the field position battle. We were backed up all day against the Chargers and when they did get the ball they usually had it past their own 40 yard line. I think it was an incredible defensive performance to hold the Chargers to 21 considering the circumstances.

I'm not worried about our kickoffs as Gost has an extremely strong leg. He usually gets a couple touchbacks a game. (exception being that 1 kick that went out of bounds). Punt coverage and kickoff coverage teams need to play their best I think. Make the Colts go 80 yards and it's tough against our D. We're going to get a stop somewhere. Sauerbrun is well not very well known to me. Does he have good hangtime on his punts at least?
  3. unoriginal

unoriginal Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -1

In the past few games I've seen a lot of potential kickoff returns amount to nothing for the opposition because the returner slipped making the decisive cut. Hello Michael Turner!

Actually, that's not just a New England thing, there have been a lot of unmolested wedges in the playoffs so far. I think for many teams the injury bug is gnawing away at the ability of the special teams. You can teach any 4 doofuses to get together at the 20 and start chugging upfield; whether or not they get decimated by the 30 is indicative of how many special teams aces you've got on your coverage team.

Indy has seven guys on their injured reserve, three of whom would have fit the bill for special teams' lunatic. Our list is much longer. Larry Izzo, our designated captain, is rarely seen - probably for the best. Heath Evans saved a bunch of big returns all by his lonesome, and he's a plus, along with Spann. Andrews has disapperaed as well, but he, like Spann, is more an outside-contain guy on kickoff. Mike Wright's our best wedge buster at this point and no matter how athletic the guy is, a 300 lbs lineman just isn't getting down the field that quick.

I think best bet is Gostkowski to put those kickoffs through the uprights. He's in a dome, he's got the big kickoff leg, and this is why we drafted him: to keep our patchwork STs out of trouble at this point of the year. Either that or squib it, kick it out of bounds again, whatever. You think BB made him get fancy with the kicking recently because the coverage was good?
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  4. Oswlek

Oswlek Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Gost is very good at KOs, but I am a little worried about this area. Wilkins is a good return man and I personally think that NE's KO coverage against SD was average at best. I still think that the final return for SD could have gone another 10 yards had he not slipped.
  5. Oswlek

Oswlek Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

I wholeheartedly agree with everything in this post.