Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Health Cost of Eating Red Meat

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by apple strudel, May 2, 2009.

1. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/28/health/28brod.html?_r=1&em

We pretty much already know this, but the size of this study is impressive, and only reinforces what we already understood about the health risks of eating red meat.

So raising cattle is not only resource wasteful but eating it is bad for us. Do you eat red meat? Do you mind its deleterious impact on your health?

Another interesting question is why do Americans accept low quality factory foods? Foods grown locally are better, less resource intensive, and cheaper.
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

Eat little red meat, and usually eat vegatarian about 5 days a week.. feel pretty good. Do enjoy an occasional burger of some type of chicken, but in small amounts.
  3. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

But if we don't eat all those cows, won't it result in worse global warming? with all the extra flatulence and all?
  4. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I love red meat, though I do try and limit my consumption and eat more chicken and fish. Everything is fine in moderation, and I re-define "moderation" to fit the amount that I want to consume.
  5. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Just don't forget that healthy stuff generally sucks and unhealthy stuff is generally good. Its important to not wreck the prime of your life in favor of just extending the secondary diaper years.
  6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Tell it to Tom harkin and Byron Dorgan.
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +334 / 1 / -9

Remember Euell Gibbons, he used to go out into the woods and eat leaves, tree bark and probably bird sh!t, he died at a very early age from Stomach Cancer.

Back to God again, when God created all living things I wonder how he ever got the idea to have all us living things "eat each other" then when we are finshed we smack our lips, fart, burp and then take a nap..........:confused:

God really must hate chickens............:singing:
  8. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

You're not doing it right.

A healthy diet makes the prime years better ones.
  9. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Steak, whiskey, cigarettes/cigars, are pleasures that I don't know if I'd ever give up. I don't see the point of sticking around past age 70 anyways. I'd rather give up 5-10 years than eat 40 years of beans and veggies.
    Last edited: May 3, 2009
  10. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

What an interestingly self-destructive crowd.
  11. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

That's a rather smug perspective you have. Do you ever eat ice cream? How about candy? Do you drink soda?

All those things are bad for your health as well.
  12. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

how does one person make a crowd?

red meat is great......3-5 times a month works great for a ribeye or a NY steak

there are all kind of things that while unhealthy in excess are perfectly well enjoyed as part of a long and healthy life ......... this includes alcohol but not tobacco

there is nothing wrong with a balanced diet that includes some red meat
  13. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I didn't mean to sound smug. Occasional pleasure are one thing, and so long as they're occasional that's fine. But cigarettes/cigars? Verboten.
  14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +334 / 1 / -9

I'd eat a piece of sh!t it it was cooked right.
  15. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Wellwhen we have Obama care I am confident they will issue ration cards and only allow us to approve state sanctioned food.
  16. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I'm only an occasional cig or cigar smoker with friends after some drinks, so won't really fight the smokers battle here, but what about steak or alcoholic beverages?

Where does one draw the line in condemning others for acts that are bad for the health? Most things are harmful to the body in some way.

By the way, obesity leads to more numbers of and more expensive overall health costs to society, than red meat or booze or even cigarettes. Perhaps there should be a tax on people who are fat.
    Last edited: May 3, 2009
  17. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Good thread.
    My take on being healthy. Exercise 3-4 times a week. Stretching makes a huge difference. I don't do yoga, but some of my golf exercises mimic them. Eat less red meat, eat less food in general (switched to a spinach lasagna and it's awesome). It's a fact as you get older you should eat less. Anything white usually is not good for you. Jack Lalanne, still going strong, swears sugar is bad for you. Detest cigarettes, but smoke a little weed now and then. One glass of red wine with dinner (very good for you).
    I plan on living a long time. If you take care of you body, when you reach 70 or 80 you can still be in better shape then some people in their 40's or 50's.
    My nephew has never beaten me in basketball (not that I'm that good/ it's a hell of a workout), and he was a track star in high school. Plan on taking him on one more time, as soon we can arrange a time, as he's currently in special forces.
  18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

Bingo.

God bless you. (Can I say God in here?)

Typical. :rolleyes:
  19. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

When you hit 60+ and you realize how many folks are living well in the later years, some of this may change.

When I was about 40 used to think that way, but time changes your body and after they open you up a couple of times everything becomes somewhat different. Living long and well is a very good revenge.
  20. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

If you don't take care of yourself will you accept government funded health care?