Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Hail Mary Pass?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Sep 14, 2006.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +604 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

The favorite of Bledsoe. so, I am making a post in the main forum saying Felger should be renamed to "FelgSoe" because he by picking the Jets is throwing up Hail Mary's himself.

So, when will the ACLU ban the use of the term "Hail Mary"?

what other sports terminology will someday be banned?

---They were scalped?

---Sold their Soul To The Devil?

---Prayed For divine Intervention?

---Players banned for making the Sign Of The Cross?

??? ... others???
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

You have it completely backward. The ACLU would, if anything, protect the rights of people to use those terms. There's nothing wrong with saying "the team will have to pray for divine intervention," but if a teacher in a public school said, "Let's all kneel down and pray to the Lord Jesus Christ for divine interpretation," that would be a problem. Try familiarizing yourself with the ACLU before casting aspersions.

http://www.aclu.com/about/index.html
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2

I'd like the ACLU if it had a brain, and were unbiased. Unfortunately, any good it does is overshadowed by liberal lunacy. I'm all about protected civil rights & liberty's, but common sense should always apply.
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

It's terribly unbiased and has protected groups like the KKK and various white rights groups (which is the reason I don't particularly like them). They always choose unpopular issues in order to strengthen our free speech protections. Do you think groups like NAMBLA and the KKK have the right to free speech? It's a tough call, isn't it? The ACLU just takes a clear stand. Some conservatives don't like the ACLU because of their advocacy of a strict separation of church and state.
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

Not aware of any instance where the ACLU has gotten involved with the NFL? Do you know any?? Or is this a non-issue?? I know in Maine there were concerns about Squaw Mountain(now Pleasant Mtn), but that was raised by local native american tribes...not the ACLU. Every issue is not raised by the NFL. In terms of native american issues it is usually raised by the native american people themselves. If the NFL were funded by the Gov't they could possibly have a concern, but as we the fans pay the tab they stay out of it.