Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Gulf Oil spill.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PATSNUTme, Jun 5, 2010.

1. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +341 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

I don't come here very often so maybe this has been beaten to death.

I heard a man on the radio yesterday who said he didn't have a political axe to grind. He is a supposed expert in handling oil spill clean up. One thing he brought up was the use of super tankers to suck up these known large pools of oil before they come too close to the shore.

He also mentioned that right now the US government is following a play book that is not designed for a spill of this magnitude. If this continues, he says, this will be worse than anything we can imagine.

He did say that if Obama wants to get this under control and not continue to look incompetent, he should immediately sign an executive order waiving all impact studies and authorizing anything that might work.

But he did say that other counties do us the super tankers to get spills in order and the US should get these going right away.

Thoughts.

2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I agree. I heard the same thing from the former CEO of Shell, I think it was.

The longer Obama waits to start working outside the box the worse the effects the spill will have on the environment and his presidency. He can blame "previous administrations" all he wants for the explosion and what led up to it, but the delay in issuing a series of executive orders is all his. He's the only one that can break through on this, put BP where they belong and mitigate the impact of the spill from here on in.

He's already in deep sh!t for waiting so long on this as far as I'm concerned.

3. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +341 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

We all want this to get under control. I don't care who gets political credit or blame.

This could very well could be the worst disaster in our history if it doesn't get under control soon.

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +983 / 2 / -9

Obama's arrogance won't let him do anything except take a trip down there once in awhile, have his picture taken in shirt sleeves while he looks at a puddle of oil then goes to a cookout or golfing.

5. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

6. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +341 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

It should be tried on those massive pools of oil. It might not work on all of it but everything should be tried. Can't see where it would hurt.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +710 / 20 / -30

Heard or read yesterday that we currently have 1,900 ships involved in this cleanup.. aren't any of them what you describe????

Should BP be taking the lead in doing this, they must know the guy from Shell??

8. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +341 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

I have heard no reports that super tankers are out there working on these massive pools. I hope they are out there but there should be some reports if they are.

I don't think this gentleman would have brought that up if there was.

9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +710 / 20 / -30

Have not heard any specifics as to what this flotilla is comprised of, have heard this suggestion previously and not sure if or if not this is being used or if there is a good reason not to...