PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Greatest BB Interview Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobAllan

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I believe this is my favorite response of his- all time. And that's saying something. Also, lots of interesting weirdness in the article including "225 year coaching career" and "beautiful monster."

Bill Belichick cares not for your Peyton Manning angle - NFL.com

Q: You've prepared to face a Peyton Manning offense more than 20 times in your coaching career. Is there one common thread that stands out to you over the years about how those preparations and then the game have unfolded?

BB: I guess Manning.

Heh. To the reporter's credit, he recovered from that BB stiff-arm to ask a follow-up question that prompted an actual answer from the coach. Not every scribe was so successful ...

Q: Can you appreciate the rivalry that Peyton Manning and Tom Brady have developed over the years?

BB: Yeah, sure.

Q: What are your thoughts on the rivalry over the years?

BB: Right now my thoughts are this week. All the experts write about it; you guys can write about that.​

That's pretty good. I've always liked his response to a question about why Wilfork didn't play in a pre-season game last year...."we didn't put him in". why? "because other players played".

I bet he would answer the Brady/Manning rivalry question quite a bit differently a few years after he retires. I truly hope he writes a book or three.

title of his first book could be "Clever Answers to Really Stupid Questions"

title of his first book could be "Clever Answers to Really Stupid Questions"
I would prefer his books about the coaches and players he coached with, and their places in the legacy of the game, and also about his views on the evolution of the game.

I loved the "On To Cincinnatti" interview. What most people missed in that exchange is that Belichick effectively made himself the issue and the focus of attention and mockery when his team was playing like total crap, and he took all of the heat off of them. It was a great move on his part and as deliberate as they get.

His unwillingness to engage in the media silliness is part of the reason why "media analysis" of the Pats has verged on the ******ed over the years. Belichick might be one of the most intriguing coaching figures in all of sports. You know he has very definitive opinions on so many interesting topics, but he's not about to open up to the same vultures that have been trying to pick at the "carcass" of the Pats dynasty since 2006. And he doesn't let it get in the way of the most important thing; doing his job.

I'd be curious to see a "tell all" book one day after he hangs them up, but I'm not holding my breath for it. What I could see happening is a release of his football philosophy and his thoughts on football matters specifically. I'd pre-order that one.

I would prefer his books about the coaches and players he coached with, and their places in the legacy of the game, and also about his views on the evolution of the game.

Agreed, but one of the most endearing things to me about BB is the way he just ignores the media vultures or shuts them down with a quick quip. The "were on to Cincinnati" was just classic BB in this regard

I loved the "On To Cincinnatti" interview. What most people missed in that exchange is that Belichick effectively made himself the issue and the focus of attention and mockery when his team was playing like total crap, and he took all of the heat off of them. It was a great move on his part and as deliberate as they get.

Former players who've criticized the "straitjacket" nature of how BB wants them to interact with the press have also noted that the way the Patriots do business lets them focus on football.

Every time BB says "experts" he seems to say it with the most subtle lining of sarcasm.
I've seen him do that so many times now. "I'll let the experts think about that." rofl.

IMHO Belichick should NEVER write a tell-all book. Let the mysteries live forever.

Reminds me of a bet a reporter had that he could get more than two words out of President Calvin Coolidge.

His reply: "You lose."

Listening to Sirius this morning, and the talk was about how Jerry Jones (unwittingly) put pressure on Romo when Jones characterized Romo's injury status as "pain threshhold" ... All I could think during the talk was: now can't you see Belichick's brilliance? Belichick would say "He's Day-to-Day"... "We'll do what's best for the team." ... He's like the Soup Nazi: "No News for You!"

Listening to Sirius this morning, and the talk was about how Jerry Jones (unwittingly) put pressure on Romo when Jones characterized Romo's injury status as "pain threshhold" ... All I could think during the talk was: now can't you see Belichick's brilliance? Belichick would say "He's Day-to-Day"... "We'll do what's best for the team." ... He's like the Soup Nazi: "No News for You!"
Its also speaks for Kraft.

I believe this is my favorite response of his- all time. And that's saying something. Also, lots of interesting weirdness in the article including "225 year coaching career" and "beautiful monster."

Bill Belichick cares not for your Peyton Manning angle - NFL.com

Q: You've prepared to face a Peyton Manning offense more than 20 times in your coaching career. Is there one common thread that stands out to you over the years about how those preparations and then the game have unfolded?

BB: I guess Manning.

Heh. To the reporter's credit, he recovered from that BB stiff-arm to ask a follow-up question that prompted an actual answer from the coach. Not every scribe was so successful ...​

I don't know if that was a stiff-arm, thats just hilarious. Im going with Belichick's comic genius is much underestimated. unappreciated and understated.

Last edited:
My personal favorite is:

Reporter: "Correct me if I'm wrong..."
Belichick: "I can't wait."
SVN is correct, it was Felger. Every other person in the room LHFAO and Vulgar was BS. There are those who believe that was the moment Vulgar began hating BB. I guess only he knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back