The Greater NYC media "report"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Feud within a feud stirs fire
http://www.northjersey.com/page.php...lRUV5eTcwNDk4NDgmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2
The coaches and the teams may wonder why a stake can't be driven through this vampire, but the relationship between Eric Mangini and Bill Belichick will hover over this week because fans and reporters love discussing it.

Jets want to kick Belichick; Mangini brushes off mentor
http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/485023p-408328c.html
And you know what that means - another chapter in the Mangini-Bill Belichick soap opera.

It's Bad Blood III, except this time the stakes are much bigger. It seems only fitting that Mangini's first playoff game as a head coach is against the man who taught him so much about football - the same man who has so much contempt for his former protégé that he refused to look him in the eye for the postgame handshake in November.

If you're expecting a thaw in the relationship, forget about it.

THIS FITS THE BILL
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01022007/sports/jets/this_fits_the_bill_jets_mike_vaccaro.htm
It had to be the Patriots, of course, because for all the franchise feuds we've been fortunate enough to see up close through the years, this may be the most complex, the most complicated, the most fascinating and the most furious. It started with a telephone call Bill Parcells allegedly made from his hotel room in New Orleans 10 years ago this month. It reached a surreal standard with a piece of paper, on which were written these immortal initials: "HC" and "NYJ." And now, featuring Cain Belichick and Abel Mangini, it's positively Freudian.

'CHICK IT OUT; PAT ANSWERS PREVAIL AS MANGINI TAKES HIGH ROAD
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01022007/sports/jets/chick_it_out_jets_mark_cannizzaro.htm
Welcome to Bill Belichick's worst nightmare.

Feud provides some fuel
http://www.greenwichtime.com/sports...37146jan02,0,2902085.story?coll=ny-jets-print
Asked if all the Jets-Patriots subplots interest him, Kendall smirked again and replied, "Only in the way that a car accident does. I know I really shouldn't waste my time paying attention to it, and for the most part, I really don't."

For the most part, but he can't totally ignore it, either.

**good read** Facing guy who molded him
http://www.greenwichtime.com/sports...37159jan02,0,1531580.story?coll=ny-jets-print
To put things in the vernacular of Mangini's favorite motivational sport, it's now Round 3. And considering this likely is the nightmare scenario Belichick envisioned when he severed professional and personal ties with Mangini for jumping sides to a divisional opponent last winter, well ... let's get ready to grumble!

If Belichick had been fiddling with Play-Doh on Sunday night, he might have been forming voodoo dolls of Mangini to poke pins through.

The matchup may excite fans and onlookers - and even Mangini, who seemed charged up over playing a team he helped win three Super Bowls - but for some of the players, the prospect of facing the Patriots is not a pleasant one.

"Three times in one year?" receiver Laveranues Coles asked. "Who would want to play the Patriots three times in one year?"

For Mangini, it's just the game
http://www.greenwichtime.com/sports...7161jan02,0,4199025.column?coll=ny-jets-print
The miracle of Eric Mangini's rookie season as an NFL head coach is not that he has led the Jets to a 10-6 record and a playoff showdown with the New England Patriots that has historical and even Oedipal overtones.

The miracle is that Mangini ever got past the interview process.

That is not a knock but an endorsement. Clearly, this 35-year-old pup out of the Belichick kennel must be one hell of a football coach, because he doesn't seem to have anything else to sell.

Jets and Patriots Echo a Past N.F.L. Reunion
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/02/sports/football/02jets.html?ref=sports
It was not Rodney Harrison of the New England Patriots referring to Sunday’s American Football Conference wild-card playoff game between the Patriots and the Jets. The speaker was Green Bay’s LeRoy Butler, and he was talking before the 1998 National Football Conference championship game between Mike Holmgren’s Green Bay Packers and Steve Mariucci’s San Francisco 49ers.

Before Eric Mangini took over the Jets and guided them to Sunday’s all-or-nothing showdown against his former boss, Bill Belichick, Mariucci was the prodigal son of the postseason and Holmgren was the mad genius.

**good read** PRESS RELEASES FROM THE INTERNATIONAL SPORTS MOVEMENT
http://www.sportsfeatures.com/index.php?section=pp&action=show&id=35659
Overall, yesterday was another good, collective team effort, with all three phases contributing. We talk all the time about finishing, whether it be finishing a play in practice, finishing a period, finishing the practice itself, a meeting, whatever the case may be and how important that and yesterday was about finishing the regular season for us. I was proud of the way that the guys worked all season and proud of the way that we finished the season and earned the opportunity to play this week. That's what we've been working for a long time and they earned it.

Edit: Jets-Patriots matchup just what Belichick dreaded
http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070102/SPORTS01/701020349/1034/SPORTS
Jets defensive lineman Bobby Hamilton was with New England for two of those championships. He said the edge Belichick gave his team in the playoffs came from a detailed and inventive game plan and the focus he coaxed out of his players.

Hamilton believes Mangini will have the Jets prepared in the same manner. He's not too concerned about how his former coach feels about his current coach.

"I don't get involved with that,'' Hamilton said. "That's their personal thing. All I know is they both have us ready to play football. I don't get caught up in who's friendly.''
-----
Coles was asked if too much is made of the Jets-Patriots rivalry.

"Yeah,'' Coles said. "Y'all having fun doing it, though.''

No doubt, that's exactly what Mangini and Belichick are thinking.

Last edited:
Interesting bit at the end of that article... who would have ever expected this to be pegged as a "key matchup"?

Newsday breaks down a key matchup each day leading up to Sunday's game in New England:

Reche Caldwell vs. Hank Poteat

When the season began, Caldwell was an obscure player trying to fill the shoes of Deion Branch and Poteat was out of the game looking for work. Now they are the marquee receiving matchup when the Patriots have the football. Caldwell has 61 catches for 760 yards and four touchdowns. Poteat, a former Patriot, was picked up by the Jets early in the season, stabilized the right cornerback position in the second half of the year and now is the team's top stopper with the injury to Andre Dyson.​

Interesting bit at the end of that article... who would have ever expected this to be pegged as a "key matchup"?

Newsday breaks down a key matchup each day leading up to Sunday's game in New England:

Reche Caldwell vs. Hank Poteat

When the season began, Caldwell was an obscure player trying to fill the shoes of Deion Branch and Poteat was out of the game looking for work. Now they are the marquee receiving matchup when the Patriots have the football. Caldwell has 61 catches for 760 yards and four touchdowns. Poteat, a former Patriot, was picked up by the Jets early in the season, stabilized the right cornerback position in the second half of the year and now is the team's top stopper with the injury to Andre Dyson.​

I didn't know Hank Poteat was now their #1 corner. That's got to work in our favor in terms of the Pats' knowledge of his tendencies. I wonder why the NY media hasn't picked up on the fact that when everyone assumed that Denver would be the #5 seed, and the Jets #6, BB did what he could to move into the #3 slot to play the Jets instead of Denver? I guess it doesn't fit their story line. Rather than Mangini being BB's worst nightmare, it appears BB views him as the lesser of two evils. I can't wait for this game! While it would be devasting to lose, I just can't see it happening.

I didn't know Hank Poteat was now their #1 corner. That's got to work in our favor in terms of the Pats' knowledge of his tendencies. I wonder why the NY media hasn't picked up on the fact that when everyone assumed that Denver would be the #5 seed, and the Jets #6, BB did what he could to move into the #3 slot to play the Jets instead of Denver? I guess it doesn't fit their story line. Rather than Mangini being BB's worst nightmare, it appears BB views him as the lesser of two evils. I can't wait for this game! While it would be devasting to lose, I just can't see it happening.

Hank was number 3 doing a very good job. With Dyson hurt he's number 2. Barrett has more style points and bigger play ability. Miller should just return kicks.

this whole "mangini takes the high road" concept bothers me for some reason...its easy to take the high road when the other guy is not talking about the feud in public.somehow making out BB to the be person in fault...and guess what...our own media will harp the same tune which is the sad part.When i saw Dan shaugnessy writtten globe article today i figured its only going get worse...

Is BB concered about the jets ? Sure ..he is concerned about any team . Dreaded ?? lets wait and see..

i'm curious, was Belichick really "dreading" the jets making the playoffs. Did he ever care one way or the other. Its almost like they think Bill is standing in some corner shaking scared of the jest.

Is BB concered about the jets ? Sure ..he is concerned about any team . Dreaded ?? lets wait and see..
Quaking in his bootsies no doubt.

Of course Mangini took the high road, fewer media members to be found there.

Belichick isn't scared of the matchup. If he were scared to lose he would have quit long ago and gotten a real job. Coaches, especially top ones like Belichick, are ego maniacs who are fully and completely confident they'll win. Playing The Jest just moves the stakes higher - better if they win, worse if they lose. And Belichick is completely confident he'll win.

It's comical to even suggest that Belichick is dreading this matchup, of course this is the kind of crap that the New Yorkers will eat right up though. The Jets got lucky the last game with the Pats making crucial mistakes and the field being a mud pit, that ain't happening this time.

Belichick's worst nightmare? LOL!!!

Don't these idiot NY writers know that BB went all out to beat Tennessee for the prospect of PLAYING THE JETS!!!????

LOL I love it. If they thought BB and his Patriots were pissed off last week...

" I think we've just awakened the Sleeping Giant":bricks:

how about this from mangini

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/
Mangini received several questions about his estranged mentor and, perhaps borrowing the technique that Belichick uses quite often, he never mentioned the Patriots' coach by name. Asked if he believes Belichick dreads this matchup - after all, the pressure is on the teacher to beat his former pupil - Mangini smiled.

"That's the magic of the conference call," he said, alluding to tomorrow's opportunity for the New York media to speak with Belichick. "That's one of those things that's a better question for the other side."

Any thoughts on why the relationship has soured?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes