Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Great Giveaway - the elephant in the room

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInVa, Jan 31, 2008.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +282 / 5 / -8

Interesting that there are no thoughts posted here about the Great Tax Giveaway of 2008, and the "stimulus" packaging.

1. I expect hearty arguments about how this, in combination with the Great Inflationary Interest Rate Chops of 2008, will revitalize the economy. Ain't gonna happen. We're looking at a deep recession - attribute however you like. The proximate cause is obviously the odd financing habits of our last housing boom, but that's not the only one. But bring the arguments. I can't wait.

2. I find it interesting that the Great Tax Giveaway is packaged as a "Stimulus" package. It's brilliant, really. It's a way to give all politicians an excuse to give money to everybody -- and basically add another 140 billion dollars to the hole we're in.

2a. Even more brilliantly, there is no built-in presumption of fairness. The whole package proceeds from the principal that whatever we can argue will prime the pump, we'll do. But the mechanism is a tax rebate, even for those who file but don't owe. Now notice, you have to be employed to play... and the unemployed, specifically, are the worst off that we have.

But again, it is not phrased as money sorely needed by The People... it is phrased as money thrown at the problem of our economic woes. A bandaid, but a damn hard bandaid to vote against, no matter how appealing!

I, for one, am looking forward to the wife and I throwing another grand at whatever bills and debt are in our way. I suppose some guys are thinking "two words: STRIP CLUB!" And maybe one or two may actually buy that new computer.

The question isn't whether it FEELS GOOD, the question is should we do it?

Have at it!

PFnV
  2. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You can always give it back. Or donate to a worthy cause.

//
  3. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's better than the democrats, who just want to give money to people who neither work nor pay taxes.
  4. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +282 / 5 / -8

Do either of you have opinions on the subject, as opposed to advice to the author, or disparagement of the imagined actions of an imagined party? Because half of this stimulus package is the bloody Democrats. They're in this one together. Knee jerking won't help on this one.

PFnV
  5. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Uh, who initiated the package???

George Bush?? Oh, that's right.

//
  6. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

the monkey that is your hero????

No, the OTHER monkey.
  7. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Speaking of monkeys, are you spanking yours again??

//
  8. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Sorry, I'm not showing you... no matter how much you offer.

Plus, it would just make you feel really inadequate.
  9. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +282 / 5 / -8

I wonder if they call Economics "the dismal science" because of Economics itself, or the foolishness people will engage in to avoid having to think about Economics.

Fog, it would be ad-hom to call you or Terry here idiots. But this immediate attempt to channel a complex issue into "my side"/"no my side" is consistent with the behavior of someone who is an idiot. That theoretical idiot would be such a thick-headed mental fuzzball that it would not be worth discussion subjects of any substance with him or her.

That person is a lightweight with no business even typing on a political forum, as that person would be thoroughly incapable of figuring out what the posts are even about.

But of course, that person's not you, Fog, or you, Terry -- right? I mean, you guys are actually interested in the subject of the tax rebate, right? You actually have something to say about it, and about its implications, right?

Waiting.

PFnV
  10. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

more profoundly "Christian" message from the pius one who's really no different than any of the many posters he condemns on an hourly basis...
  11. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Don't worry. One's all I need. Thanks anyway.

//
  12. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

And YOU would be the authority on that, would you?? Is your real name, "Rasputin"???

//
  13. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

but then, i never declared i was the authority on that, any more than i'm authority on the NFL because i can simply recognize the Patriots are a good team... my "authority" on it is irrelevant... what's undeniable is the fact that you're a profound hypocrite of flabbergasting magnitude...
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  14. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Well, even to make that statement would require you to be a greater authority than I, yet where do you ever try to see things from God's viewpoint???

Is it in your support for free sex?? Same sex relations??? Accusing the U.S. government of allowing 9/11??? Where do you demonstrate your superior "Christianity"???

I hate to be the elephant in the room, but time is short.

//
  15. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

actually, it wouldn't require that at all in order to recognize and satire your own UN-Christian sentiment that you loft upon other posters on an hourly basis... despite being a hypocrite, and condemning other posters for doing the exact same... back to my analogy, but while i no doubt know more about football than you, among an endless stream of topics you seem to have trouble grasping, it doesn't take a pius "Bill Parcells" to recognize a fraud of a Christian when I see one...

i neither support nor forbid same-sex relations... the difference being, i don't dictate it for others the way you do, Rev. Lovejoy...

that's a marvelous stretch, so typical of goofy YOU... in the morning, do let us all know what geopolitical beliefs have to do with your curious, convenient theocratic belief system?

it's awfully late out there in Transylvania... run along to bed now... your sheep are waiting to be counted...
  16. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Maybe it's a lot earlier where I am than you think!!!

And my sheep are counted. And hungry.

//
  17. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

hiding your responses inside my quotes now, huh?

anyhow, you don't determine what's "allowed", nor do you speak for the entity who does determine it... at some point, you'll get that through your rather saturated fat head...
  18. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +246 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

I"m certainly not in favor of it but I guess if they want to send me a check, I'll cash it. It would be easier to just give me a credit on my tax bill but whatever.
  19. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +77 / 5 / -7

#37 Jersey

Can someone explain to me how a person who did not pay a dime of federal income tax gets a $600 tax "rebate" Un-fuking-believable.
  20. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'm pissed about it, fiscal responsibility HAS to be a goal of this country, and it just isn't happening. Go ahead and run up the debt, spend spend spend and leave the bills to the kids and grandkids. That kind of thinking is true both on the government level and an individual level. I think the interest rate cuts have been too much too fast, it reeks of a panic move to advance of the 2008 elections.

Imagine though, were running at a deficit of what, a couple hundred billion this year already? And now, with no idea of how to pay for it, we give out $150 billion more. What ever happened to pay as you go? Wasn't there legislation enacted to that effect last year? It goes to show the biggest concern politicians on both sides have is staying in power. Everyone peddles easy answers without consequences. In that respect Edwards and McCain were probably the most honest, Edwards recognizing that to achieve his goals requires real redistribution of wealth (unlike others that trot out program after program without mentioning the cost), and McCain giving some harsh truth to citizens in Michigan correctly pointing out that some jobs that are gone probably aren't coming back. And look what that got them, Edwards is out, and McCain, though he's now the Republican frontrunner, lost Michigan because he had Romney following him around saying the jobs would come back, promising billions in gov't bailouts, and people ate it up because its what they wanted to hear.

Phew, that was a mouthful!